View Full Version : Measure pixel values?

Darin Boville
April 27th, 2017, 03:30 AM
I'm trying to learn how to color correct properly in Final Cut X.

I'm a photographer and what is puzzling me is that I haven't yet found a way to measure pixel values. I can see, through the scopes and the color correction adjustment, how to adjust the color, exposure, and saturation. But everything seems to be a matter of "eyeballing" the preview and the the scopes.

Is there a way to actually measure the values--to get RGB values?

For example. In the attached frame, I would I ensure that the stainless steel is neutral? How would I convince myself that the yellow is not tainted too much with green?

I'm puzzled! :)

--Darin

Dave Farrants
April 27th, 2017, 03:59 AM
Digital Colour Meter in your Mac Utilities folder?

Craig Seeman
April 28th, 2017, 07:47 AM
ColorGradingCenteral's Color Finale Pro does this.

http://try.colorgradingcentral.com/colorfinale/
It also adds curves which you might be used to as a photographer.

David Knaggs
May 14th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Hi Craig.

If you don't mind my asking, have you used the feature inside Color Finale which works with the X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport?

I saw this demo:

Color correction for video made EASY with X-Rite ColorChecker - YouTube

and it looks like it could save quite a bit of time. Because the physical ColorChecker itself will cost me about A$200 and Color Finale Pro also costs A$200, I thought I'd check first if someone such as yourself has used it and found it to work as advertised.

Thanks.

Paul Wood
May 15th, 2017, 01:45 AM
Hi David,
I use it, and I can confirm that it works as advertised, and is a great time saver to get a grade started, and sort color balance issues, and even better for matching two cameras.

David Knaggs
May 15th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Thanks for that, Paul! I've just ordered the video passport colorchecker from B&H.

and even better for matching two cameras.

I'm intrigued by that comment, because I'll soon be trying to match footage from an EX1R with a new Z150 (both Sony cameras). Does that mean that you simply do the one-click in Color Finale to separately balance each (and this means they should match) or is there a special function within the Color Finale software which directly matches cameras? (I hope this question makes sense.)

Thanks.

Paul Wood
May 16th, 2017, 01:37 AM
No special function, but a common colour reference - assuming you remember to include a shot of the chart from both cameras!.

I use different model Sony cameras, and always had problems matching colour, but shooting the chart makes it much easier - Denver has some free tutorial material on his site which helps a lot.

David Knaggs
May 16th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the excellent info, Paul.

Darin Boville
June 6th, 2017, 12:52 AM
ColorGradingCenteral's Color Finale Pro does this.

Color Finale - Professional Color Grading in Final Cut Pro X (http://try.colorgradingcentral.com/colorfinale/)
It also adds curves which you might be used to as a photographer.

Bought it. Much more what I'm used to as a photographer. Really worthwhile.

Note, there a bundle out there where you can get the upgraded version of Color Finale and a bunch of other stuff for $97. Can't find the link.

Sadly, I bought the junior version of Color Finale ($100) three days prior to the bundle announcement--The Color Finale guy won't do anything for me. Bummer. :(

Also be warned, the software is good but the developer will bombard you with a ton of follow on e-mails, seemly without any end point, telling you all about his life story and color grading adventures. No kidding. I must have a dozen or more of them by now and I just purchased the product ten days ago.

But, again, from a photographer's point of view, this is the kind of stuff that should be built-in to Final Cut. Has been very useful so far.

--Darin