View Full Version : UWOL 42 Obsession

Mick Jenner
May 2nd, 2017, 12:38 AM
Hi all, sorry for the delay in posting my entry for comments. I needed to slightly re edit to give Felicity her full credit. At the time of the original upload I did not have here surname. The only other adjustment is a change of title font. Otherwise as my formal upload.

First of all this was a very late entry as until last Saturday morning I had resigned myself to the shark tank (yet again) With a crap weather forecast for the bank holiday weekend I started writing a script for which I could use some of my footage that will not make the final edit of a film I am making on dippers. So this entry has just evolved from there.

With the exception of few seconds of Exmoor footage all was filmed within the challenge period.

This is the first time I have written and recorded a script and then added the clips to fit. There are elements that leave a lot to be desired particularly the VO and sound track. Anyway please enjoy.

As a spoiler, there are three clips that will probably make the final edit of my film.

Here is a link a to an interview that Dr Stephanie Tyler gave for a book about her life that some of you may find interesting. A very inspirational lady.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Jnv5CQAAQBAJ&pg=PT154&lpg=PT154&dq=behind+the+binoculars+stephanie+tyler&source=bl&ots=12BrqDj16X&sig=Oj5BzNWIFiGFp90bqYZosioNjN8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyr6y9ytDTAhVCIcAKHYSfBhkQ6AEIRTAF#v=onepage&q=behind%20the%20binoculars%20stephanie%20tyler&f=false

UWOL 42 Obsession on Vimeo

Kevin Railsback
May 2nd, 2017, 07:49 AM
Mick,

Like I told you earlier, you shoot amazing footage!
You've been after that fledge shot for a while now. So happy you were able to capture it!

You'd never know that this was a last minute entry.

Adding footage to match a script is tough, especially being in a challenge. It's not so bad if you have time to go out and get the shots but you were under a pretty tight deadline.

I'm think you covered the theme well in two ways, the physical anout being out in the night to be in position to shoot at first light and the mental of wanting that shot and it always being in your mind around the clock.

You're very fortunate to have an amazing expert on dippers share her time and knowledge with you on this project. Can't wait to see a longer film about them!

Congrats on finishing and turning in an entry that shows no signs of being a last minute thing!

Trond Saetre
May 2nd, 2017, 12:40 PM
Hi Mick

Maybe last minute filming, but certainly not "last minute quality".

Your filming, the variety of wide and close up shots... Very nice.
Would have been cool to get some of the sounds of the birds, say when the parents bring back food for the chicks. Probably difficult to get a mic close enough, but if possible, natural sounds is always that "extra add on".

I know you have been working for a long time with your Dipper film now. Looking forward to see the final film when you are done.

Thanks for sharing!

Geir Inge
May 4th, 2017, 03:19 AM
This is great work Mick.
I love these birds and I know you have put time into making this video.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mick Jenner
May 5th, 2017, 03:29 AM
Hi all. sorry have needed to put on password only access but you can still see it in watch the "Entries here Thread". Many apologies Mick

Bob Safay
May 5th, 2017, 04:45 AM
Mick, great job. I really enjoyed watching those fledglings pop out of the nest and into the rocks in the water. I also admire you for getting up in the middle of the night and walking down there in the dark to get everything set up. How many times did you do that before you finally caught them fledgling? I'll bet they kept their parents busy chasing them around and making sure they are all fed. It was a very well done, informative, and entertaining video. Thank you, Bob

Mick Jenner
May 5th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Hi Bob, Geir, Trond Kevin, many thanks for watching and for your kind comments. The filming for my Dipper film started in earnest last spring. Unfortunately timings didn't work out too good for filming fledging last year. Although I did get a dramatic recording of a chick dropping approx 12 feet in the center of a river from under the middle of a bridge. The nest entrance was obscured, so the first you saw of the chick was when it came into view from behind a girder cross support. Thank goodness for cache recording mode. So I was in place much earlier this year, late March and April, on nests that I could film the entrance of, as well as filming Steph checking her nest sites etc. To answer your question Bob about waiting times for fledging. Because of the meticulous records kept by Steph we do have a rough idea of the days when they will fledge, normally within a three to four day window. Last years wait did go a day over to five, but luckily this years wait was only two days.

As an aside, apart from the mid and wide clips of the nest site all the rest were filmed with a DJI Osmo. Only purchase beginning of March. Turn out to be quite learning curve to get good stable moving camera footage.

Mick

Vishal Jadhav
May 5th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Interesting film Mick

I see the Osmo used in a sequence , guess its osmo
It does become a obsession when you follow one kind of bird mine lasted for 6 years and when you dont see any behaviour for a long time the moment you witness is a magical moment, took me 4 years for such a moment and i can imagine what it is.
Many of the shots can make it to the final Film , its so nice that you could include the researchers in the film they have to be credited for such great work.
Nice film this one.

Mick Jenner
May 6th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Thanks Vishal

Paul Wood
May 7th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Always a lesson on how to film wildlife, Mick.
Fascinating to watch and learn more. I was toying with the idea of an Osmo myself, or maybe the phone version. I have a Blackbird stabilizer for the main camera, but these new electronic jobs seem much easier and quicker to use.
Thanks, and looking forward to seeing more!

Andrew Hood
May 16th, 2017, 06:03 AM
I quite enjoyed this entry Mick. It's great watching the process you go through, and learning about what's involved, not to mention seeing scenic countryside and birds along the way. I think you captured that essence well - of having to be obsessive to get the shots you're after. We all have something we'd love to capture, do we have the patience to go after it?

I wondered about what stabiliser you were using, and thought maybe the Osmo. I've considered one, but heard it takes practice to eliminate the walking motion (vertical and horizontal) showing up in shots. I still have to figure out how to balance my steadycam (generic brand) sled... it's a bit hard to justify a second hand Ronin, tempting as it is to have a full gimbal.
Looking forward to your next adventure for round 43.

Rob Cantwell
July 21st, 2017, 07:16 AM
this was brilliant.

well done!

Ronald Jackson
July 22nd, 2017, 12:16 AM
Where can I find the password?

Ron

Mick Jenner
July 22nd, 2017, 04:27 AM
Hi Ron, you can watch it on the "watch them here thread" or for the link at the top of the thread password - pandy

Mick