View Full Version : Panasonic GH5 firmware requests

Simon Denny
May 2nd, 2017, 06:57 PM
Ok, I’ve had the GH5 for a few days now and things I would love in a firmware update.

When in movie mode and using either A, or S I would like to see the values of what either one is doing when using the camera in semi auto for these modes. Also when using auto ISO I would also like to see what value this is at when in auto ISO.

Also the above when combined with using AE lock I would like to see the auto values rather than not knowing what values these are at.

Why, well if I use the GH5 in movie mode S and then let the camera ramp the f stop up and down and I don’t really want my f stop to get any higher than f8 on some lenses due to the image becoming soft at higher f stops, like wise I might not want f2.8 I might want f4 etc… I could then make a change by adding a ND filter etc...

Sony implemented this and I loved this feature when using small cameras, it's just easier for me.

Ron Evans
May 2nd, 2017, 09:03 PM
Absolutely agree. I will use the GH5 unattended controlled by the WiFi app and there are a few more things I would like in addition to knowing what the parameters are whether in manual or auto. I get peaking when in pause but it goes away on the app when in record...Why ? As it is still there on the camera. Like you I want the camera in semi auto but will intervene if I think it is going outside the range I want it to be in. I am used to seeing this on almost all my Sony camcorders and would like the GH5 to operate in the same way. Show the parameter with a little A beside it when in auto for example. Likewise I like a function to stay on when I switch it on ( peaking ) whatever the mode until I switch it off.

Simon Denny
May 2nd, 2017, 09:24 PM
I wonder how one goes about requesting firmware Ideas to Panasonic, any know? could be worth a shot.

Noa Put
May 3rd, 2017, 01:22 AM
I would make a separate thread called "panasonic gh5 firmware requests" and post your requests there, this thread however I would only use to post tutorials, tip and tricks or anything that would help to better understand how the the GH5 works.

Chris Hurd
May 3rd, 2017, 07:11 AM
I took Noa's advice and have split these posts -- separate topic, separate discussion thread -- and pinned to the top as well.

Ron Evans
May 3rd, 2017, 07:18 AM
Thank you Chris.

Simon Denny
May 3rd, 2017, 02:29 PM
Great Idea Noa and thanks Chris.

Cheers, S

Noa Put
May 3rd, 2017, 02:35 PM
Here is one for Panasonic: give the opportunity to magnify the screen for critical focusing WHILE the camera is recording. Now it only works when the camera is in standby.

Simon Denny
May 3rd, 2017, 11:17 PM
Another function which should be available I think.

When in auto ISO and in manual A/S in movie mode I would like the camera to tell me where I am in regards to exposure am I under or over exposed.

Phil Lee
May 4th, 2017, 12:51 AM
Hi

Ok, I’ve had the GH5 for a few days now and things I would love in a firmware update.

When in movie mode and using either A, or S I would like to see the values of what either one is doing when using the camera in semi auto for these modes. Also when using auto ISO I would also like to see what value this is at when in auto ISO.

Also the above when combined with using AE lock I would like to see the auto values rather than not knowing what values these are at.

Why, well if I use the GH5 in movie mode S and then let the camera ramp the f stop up and down and I don’t really want my f stop to get any higher than f8 on some lenses due to the image becoming soft at higher f stops, like wise I might not want f2.8 I might want f4 etc… I could then make a change by adding a ND filter etc...

Sony implemented this and I loved this feature when using small cameras, it's just easier for me.

Add another person wanting this feature. Seems bizarre it doesn't show you what the camera is doing with the automatic part.

Regards

Phil

Ron Evans
May 4th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Another function which should be available I think.

When in auto ISO and in manual A/S in movie mode I would like the camera to tell me where I am in regards to exposure am I under or over exposed.

When you are in auto ISO the camera sets correct exposure as far as it is concerned as it is moving the ISO to get into correct exposure depending on how you have set the exposure area up. I shoot in shutter priority so far, with auto ISO and use AE shift to set exposure based on zebras etc. Just like my Sony's I find it overexposes by about 0.7 to 1.0 to my taste. But I would like to know what value its using !! The value is in the file as I can read it with the transfer application. Like you, I would like to see it displayed on the camera and in the WiFi app too.

Simon Denny
May 4th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Yep that's correct about shooting in S mode and I also under expose using AE shift by a 3rd, however there is still no reference if the shot is over or under exposed other than looking at the scene, oh you could use zebras although I tend not to anymore on these small cameras.
What I have noticed is shooting photo mode using S one can see the auto values, I discovered this late last night and will explore more today and do a comparison against move mode v photo mode shooting a movie.

Simon Denny
May 4th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Ok, If are like me and want to know what's going on when you are in S mode with ISO, and f stop in movie mode you can't in this mode mode. You have to be in photo mode and select S which I like to keep my shutter the same (PAL 50) If you depress the shutter slightly you'll see the f stop and ISO settings however they will disappear in a few seconds. I also use the AE lock engaged (turned on) in the menu and the hit the AF/AE Lock button on the back and this will hold those settings.

Adding one more gotcha ya, when you press the record button all this info disappears, so It's only useful when setting up a scene.

Panasonic, can you please make this possible in video mode please and keep the info in view while recording.

Cheers, Simon

Oh also while your in photo S mode you can also use the AE shift which I use and under expose by a 3rd, this I have carried over from my Sony A7 cameras.

Phil Lee
May 5th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Hi

I might be wrong on this, however I thought whatever photo mode we are in, if a video recording is triggered the exposure is always fully automatic, so shutter/aperture will be changing. Just because the shutter is set as 1/100th in photo mode doesn't mean it's set as that when a video is started.

Only when selecting the Video mode option and selecting S from the video menu do we get to fix the shutter speed (or aperture etc).

I think the exposure settings you are seeing on half shutter press when in photo mode are just those applied to the picture if taken.

Regards

Phil

Ron Evans
May 5th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Yes Phil, that is my understanding too. So if you want control in video mode you have to be in creative video on the dial. The mode then is set in the menu. When in this mode and shutter priority the WiFi app does show the iris value but not ISO/Gain if set to auto gain. PC transfer application will show what the values were as they are in the file.

Simon Denny
May 5th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Hi Phil, once I lock in the exposure it stays the same in photo mode.

Ron Evans
May 5th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Simon, my understanding is that the photo mode and video mode are totally separate in the camera. You can set the custom modes, C1 etc to be either I have mine set for video. However I think that if the control is not set at creative video and one starts recording video with the top video red button when the control knob is on a photo setup then one is in automatic video recording. Exposure shift is still available but I think the other parameters are in automatic. If the button is pressed while control is set at creative video then the menu will control the setup. This video from Panasonic describes the functions.

GH5 Video PASM Modes - YouTube

Simon Denny
May 5th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Yep, totally agree with you and the video from Panasonic however, I have exposure locked and not moving/changing when I have the AF/AE Lock button on the back engaged, this will hold those auto settings.

Simon Denny
May 5th, 2017, 02:11 PM
So the setup is this.
I'm in photo mode on S, my S/shutter setting is 50 (PAL) the rest is auto, auto ISO, Fstop and I use the AE shift which I under expose by a 3rd.

Now I'm able to stay in this mode and let the camera settle down with exposure, when I think it has it right I can then push the AF/AE Lock button on the back so all the settings are now locked in, press the RED record button and shoot video, nothing changes with exposure until I realise the AF/AE Lock button on the back again.

You have to setup the AF/AE Lock button in the menu to AE Lock.

Hope that makes sense.

Ron Evans
May 5th, 2017, 02:27 PM
I have not tried this but I think what you have done is just lock the AE with the button. You have no control now if you need to make changes while recording, I expect if you release the button to make any changes then the camera will revert to full auto operation. I want shutter priority with continued control from me while recording and this I think is only possible when in the creative video mode. In fact the way I have it set up now is using the WiFi application and camera is in manual with auto ISO with AE shift.

Simon Denny
May 5th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Yep, that's right Ron, when the AE button is locked in no further changes can be made until you unlock this button.

I just want to add that locking exposure is what I'm after although I want to see what the camera wants first, reason is if I'm on the street and I see a shot I need to act quickly and in manual some times I'm not fast enough to grab a basic exposure like I can in auto from the camera.

Ron Evans
May 5th, 2017, 04:19 PM
My situation is different in the theatre I want the shutter to be fixed to match the other cameras and I may want to use AE shift as lighting changes by scene. So fixed is no good for me. I would just like to see if I am in the ranges I expect and of course do see this on all my Sony camcorders. The WIFi app is working well. Would be great I could see all the parameters including audio levels !!!

Cliff Totten
May 7th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Please Panasonic, I know you want to sell allot of XLR adapters,....but PLEASE allow a greater range of audio level control on the GH5. Currently, the GH5 is crippled at a maximum level reduction of -12db. Please remove that limit and allow us to lower it much further for loud sounds like concerts and things like that.

The GH5's internal mics seem to sound pretty darn good. Just don't cripple them with an extremely limited gain reduction control. (Sony doesn't do that to sell more of their XLR adapters)

CT

Tobias Meinken
May 17th, 2017, 11:48 PM
I have another firmware request:
It would be great to see the Kelvin number after manual white balance on a white slate or grey card. This way a quick match between different cameras on set would be much easier.

Simon Denny
May 18th, 2017, 12:03 AM
I found another that I would like.

Please make the audio mappable to an FN button.

Cheers, S

Simon Denny
May 18th, 2017, 12:11 AM
I forgot, here's another one that I would like.

When in photo mode "S" and you want to lock in AE while recording a movie.

The bug for me is this, I can't lock in AE before pressing the record button, I have to press the record button then lock in AE. If I lock in AE pre record and then press record, the AE turns off, rather annoying.

Thanks

Simon Denny
May 18th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Plus one in the -12db audio also.

Noa Put
May 18th, 2017, 01:49 AM
It would be great to see the Kelvin number after manual white balance on a white slate or grey card. This way a quick match between different cameras on set would be much easier.

My jvc ls300 can do that which makes it so much easier to dial in the kelvin on my other camera's, if I"m shooting with my Panasonics only I have to manually whitebalance every single camera which can be problematic if your short on time. You can always ask for such a change but I have a feeling Panasonic intentionally leaves out functionality that is supposed to be on a videocamera. Maybe it eventually be possible in a GH6 or maybe a videocamera with interchangeable lenses to complement the gh5 will be announced that does have this functionality. They need to give you reasons why to buy another camera :)

Phil Lee
May 18th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Hi

As has been mentioned in another thread here, the [DISP] button is all too easily pressed by accident, needing several more presses to cycle back round to the desired setting.

It would be great if this button could be disable or locked in the settings or given the option for a fairly long press before it registers and changes the setting in order to stop brief accidental presses.

Ideally it should be a long press to cycle to the next setting then it responds to normal presses in order to quickly cycle around, then after a few seconds if not pressed again it goes back to needing a long press again to wake the button up.

Regards

Phil

Harry Pallenberg
May 18th, 2017, 04:34 PM
VFR - options between 2fps and 12fps... 4 then, 6 or 8fps could be nice.

Tobias Meinken
May 19th, 2017, 12:30 AM
My jvc ls300 can do that which makes it so much easier to dial in the kelvin on my other camera's, if I"m shooting with my Panasonics only I have to manually whitebalance every single camera which can be problematic if your short on time. You can always ask for such a change but I have a feeling Panasonic intentionally leaves out functionality that is supposed to be on a videocamera. Maybe it eventually be possible in a GH6 or maybe a videocamera with interchangeable lenses to complement the gh5 will be announced that does have this functionality. They need to give you reasons why to buy another camera :)

Hi Noa, I also have a Sony X70, which will at least show the Kelvin number for some seconds, which proves helpful when on a multi camera shoot. Would be nice on the GH5, though.

Cary Knoop
May 28th, 2017, 07:56 PM
I would like to see in a firmware update you can define a button to toggle custom LUTs.
For v-log l I like to quickly switch between a Rec709 and a false color LUT.

Cliff Totten
May 30th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Panasonic, could you please:

1.) Un-hide the display of ISO, shutter and iris values when running something in auto? (Today, you are covering those up for no reason.

2.) Allow the circular back dial to be programmed for ISO/gain. Sony has this on their camras. You dont need to find the ISO button and then change it. All you need to do is simply rotate the dial clockwize or counter clickwize.

3.) Stop the screen from dimming when there is no actvity in its brightest setting for 30 seconds

Ron Evans
May 30th, 2017, 02:56 PM
I too would like to see the displays of iso, shutter and iris like the Sony's showing whether the value is in auto ( little A next to it ) or in manual just the value.

Not sure if it is possible but on the XLR unit I would like to run one mic into channel 1 and record auto level on channel 1 and manual on channel 2. Something I do all the time on my Sony's.

Cary Knoop
May 30th, 2017, 07:52 PM
I have another firmware request:
I second that request!

It is not super helpful but the actual Kelvin number is recorded in the metadata if you do a test clip.

Tobias Meinken
June 1st, 2017, 01:40 AM
Hi Cary,
but can you check the Kelvin number in camera? I can check the metadata of a recorded clip, but it doesn't show an actual number. Suggestions?

Cary Knoop
June 1st, 2017, 08:44 AM
That's the problem, in camera you can't see the actual number, if you want to see how much Kelvin you have to look at the metadata of the video file that is written on the card.

John Hedgecoe
June 9th, 2017, 04:24 AM
I have a couple of firmware requests of my own:

- I would like the option to disable the long press on the Fn buttons.

- I would like to be able to decouple exposure from the shutter release and assign it to a Fn button, just like we can do with AF.

- I second all the requests for displaying ISO, Shutter speed and aperture at all times.

A long standing pet peeve of mine, is why does Panasonic disable pinpoint focus when we start recording video?

Ed Kukla
June 18th, 2017, 01:26 PM
For all of the Lumix cameras; a faster f-stop midrange lens.

I really like my 12-35 f 2.8 lens. Would really like a better option for my 14-140 variable f stop lens. A 14-140 f 2.8 constant aperture lens would be excellent.

Noa Put
June 18th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Not sure if that is even possible to manufacture? The closest to that range is the 40-150 f2.8 from olympus.

Ron Evans
June 18th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Over the last 4 weeks I have shot a lot of shows with the GH5 and my Sony's AX100, AX53, AX1 and NX5U that one thing I would like in the GH5 is the same sort of image adjustment that is in the UX180/HC-X1 as I am sure this would make matching to Sony's a lot easier. In particular it is very difficult to get a match for the rich red that the NX5U produces. I can get close in post with EDIUS but not exactly and means also bringing down the lovely red of the NX5U to get a closer match.

Daniel Marshall
June 23rd, 2017, 09:54 AM
Guides for aspect ratio would be amazing, also if the outside of the guide was dimmed as well.

James Frank
August 15th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Above all, I want crop marks too Daniel - and I know we're not alone on this. Them excluding them is the most asinine decision by the developers. This camera is geared towards 4K video production, so why are they missing on this. They ignored them on the GH4 too. My Sony A7S II has them...It's not that hard to add an overlay.

Patrick Janka
August 30th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Prayers are answered!

Panasonic GH5 Firmware V2: What's new? - Jacob James (http://jacobjamesphotography.co.uk/gh5-firmware-v2-whats-new/)

Phil Lee
August 30th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Hi

Fantastic news, even the DISP button issue was sorted out with the lock option, nice one Panasonic.

Regards

Phil

Cary Knoop
August 30th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Prayers are answered!

Not for another month.

Steve Burkett
August 31st, 2017, 10:10 AM
Not for another month.

But so worth the wait. The GH5 just gets even better. Crop marks will be very useful for me and the DISP button override is a Godsend. Thank You Panasonic for listening.

John Vincent
August 31st, 2017, 02:28 PM
Yeah, a great upgrade - even more so when you consider the EVA1 is coming down the pipe. Panasonic looks very keen on regaining the indie film maker market.

I have a Sony A6300, which I may hang on to for low light stuff and close-ups, but I'm almost certainly going to use the GH5 as my mainline camera for the foreseeable future (well, when I buy one!).

Still not a fan of MFT, but just too many features to ignore - this camera does things (after the firmware) that cameras costing 4-5 times as much can't do. Amazing really.