View Full Version : T-power into 48v

Joe Wickert
May 11th, 2017, 12:42 AM
Hi,

We use an ancient Sennheisser 415t for most our location sound work.

I've been trying out possible replacements(NTG-2 recently), but nothing sounds as good so far.

I tend to just plug it in to standard 48v phantom power (On camera, Beachtek adapters, Signvideo ENG-44) and it works.

But it's T-powered right? so is this a monumentally dumb thing to do?

What are risks to mic or other devices?

Does doing this chew through power faster than usual(seems to).

Thanks
Joe

Rick Reineke
May 11th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Are you sure it's T-power (aka, A-B , parallel or Tonaderspeisung powered)? T power is 12v. and differently wired than Phantom I don't think a T-powered mic would work at all w/ Phantom...I use to have a 415T and used it with an FP32 which had the A-B power option but never tried it (even by accident) w/ Phantom pwr.engaged.
There are relatively low cost Phantom- to-T-power converters available from the usual suspects, I'd check out one of those..

"I've been trying out possible replacements (NTG-2 recently), but nothing sounds as good so far."
_ The 415 is a great sounding mic and the power adapter is much lower cost than a replacement. BTW, the NTG-2 is a hobbyist POS..The NTG-3 is pro quality though much more $$$ than the NTG-2.

Jim Feeley
May 11th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Here's a little backgrounder on T-power and how it differs from phantom :
https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/t-powering-basics

Short version: You can apply phantom to a T-powered mic and usually there won't be a problem. But sending T-power to some mics expecting phantom (or no) power can damage the mics. Check the short article at the above link for more. I don't know; sending phantom to a t-powered mic...I wonder if you'd allow for more RF or noise problem or cause slow long-term damage... I don't know because I don't do that.

I still own a 416T, mainly for sentimental reasons now. But the other week I did take it out and powered it through my Sound Devices 302 mixer (one of the few still-available mixers that has a T-power option). Super-last-minute change in our plans, and considering what we were facing, I didn't want to risk one of my newer mics. Worked as it always did...fine but not really my favorite these days...

Like Rick says, you can get a barrel adaptor or something for under $50 that will take the P48 output of your mixer or camera and convert it to T. For example, PSC has one that's widely available:
Adapter Barrels (http://www.professionalsound.com/specs/barrels.htm)

If you're looking for a new mic to replace your 415, maybe look at the Rode NTG3 or NTG4 (the 3 is OK, don't have much experience with the 4). Or perhaps a Sanken CS3e or even a new/used 416... Though I find the Sanken more useful in more situations (ie- it's OK on interiors with hard surfaces). Oh geez, there area so many mics...

Joe Wickert
May 11th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Looks like the barrel adapter is the way to go for now.

Agree with you Rick on the NTG-2. Disappointing sound and build (weird rattles and clunks).

Makes me adverse to trying Rode's other mics, much as I love supporting an Australian company.

Am I right in thinking the NTG-4 is same as NTG-2 but with built-in power source?

thanks
joe

Jim Feeley
May 11th, 2017, 08:08 PM
No, remember the NTG4 is supposed to be an improvement over the NTG1 and NTG2. New capsule, some other stuff. A bit more expensive, but significantly less than an NTG3 (I think) and much much less than the Sanken CS3e and a new 416...
Introducing the RØDE NTG4 & NTG4+ multi-powered Shotgun Microphones (http://www.rode.com/ntg4)