View Full Version : Is this one of the Best Wedding Videos?

Steve Burkett
May 11th, 2017, 12:00 PM
So this year I have had 2 couples contact me and show me the below video as an example of what they'd like. Now I have to say, in 7 years of filming Weddings, this is only the third time I have had a video shown to me by a couple as an example of something they like. The fact that I have had 2 this year is unusual and the fact that both have referenced the same video seems a huge coincidence.

So I found myself wondering, were these 2 couples related or connected by friends, which apparently they're not. Or is this video really so damn good, that it's grabbed a lot of attention. It has certainly got a lot of views.

OUR WEDDING - YouTube

So is this video really the sort of thing we all need to aspire to?

Either way, I have now had to add Drone footage and letters from the Bride and Groom to each other as part of my service because of this video. Is anyone else finding their service is being dictated by clients because of other videos out there? I wonder if this is just a fluke or a growing trend.

Noa Put
May 11th, 2017, 12:40 PM
It has over 6 million views on youtube in a few months time so those who contacted you are probably one of those who happened to see it :) I at least never heard of them or seen the film, it looks like a 2 man team that shot the film based on how the vows where shot just before they kiss where you clearly see two angles of handheld camera's (maybe on a monopod)

The question is, what is the couple expecting, that you do this alone at half the price? I never had a question like this but if I would I"d refuse to accept the wedding, I don't copy other videographers style on request.

I recall long ago when Still-motion was a thing that videographers got questions like, "can you do still-motion style?" and Patrick (still motion owner) responded (I think it was on this forum) not to copy eachothers style but to make your own unique style that defines you and stick with that.

This film is also like typical style that I see a lot where they let the couple read out loud their love letters and/or have them say something personal right into the camera, then they can call it "story telling". Add some great vows and meaningful speeches, do some timeshifting in your edit and you can make something that resembles "cinema".

Where I live that hardly would work because it's rare they do loveletters here, they don't want to say personal stuff into the camera, the speeches and vows are often boring and half the time they won't allow me to place the trailer online for privacy reasons...

edit: Now I see why the film has so many views, the couple are vloggers with over a million subscribers, their subscribers probably shared further which made it go viral.

Chris Harding
May 11th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Hi Steve

This is the very reason why I did an about face on complicated weddings ...and probably the reason for the other post here about weddings going over the top.

It's tough for a solo shooter to try and do stuff where it's been shot with a full team ...I drew the line once drones started to become an essential part of weddings!

We just do simpler weddings now and don't try to compete with stuff we cannot handle ... not all brides are going to like your unique style but then again all bride won't need the fancy stuff either

Tony McGuire
May 12th, 2017, 03:34 AM
I know someone who was asked to do something like this video but he was wise and check to see if his public liability insurance and his is not coverd to fly a drone with in 50 yards of people or over a crowd of people. He also found out that if he the drone over a property and does not have writen consent even if the property owner asks him to do so, he is not covered if something happens.

Noa Put
May 12th, 2017, 06:08 AM
You would be surprised how many weddingvideographers don't have the necessary licence and approvals to use a drone but that doesn't make the difference in a film and they are certainly not essential to shoot weddings, the usage is often limited to a fly-over shot at the venue and there I don't see the added value, if you do a mulit-day wedding in Iceland then the landscape alone is worth buying a drone but how many times are you shooting on the other side of the world, and even there you have laws you have to follow.

Steve Burkett
May 12th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Fortunately for me someone I regularly work with has set up a Drone service and offered me his price list at the start of the year, just in case. Good timing as I was able to simply quote that to the 2 Brides asking for it. One who I filmed in April took me up on it; the other in June is considering. It does add a nice wow factor, though not essential in telling the story.

It's an interesting question as to whether I am being asked to copy someone else's style or deliver a type of video. How many here who make full length videos also offer a Highlights video - why because you wanted to, or because clients have asked for it. How much of our service is dictated by style and how much by market trends and client demands.

How do any of you here define your style if you were asked to do so. Is it simply down to a type of video, the words full length, cinematic and shortform suggest style but can cover a very broad meaning and hardly distinguishes us from other Videographers.

When presented with the above video, I don't see it so much as being asked to mimic another Videographer, anymore than if I was shown a full length video and asked to deliver a video like it. Some of the eye candy like Drone footage and gimbal shots are down to equipment used, but not style. Whilst the story telling structure of reading letters to each other is down to the style of the Wedding and couple in question rather than something forced on by the Videographer. Cultural differences also play a part.

I didn't appreciate the couple were famous vloggers. I confess to having little time for vlogging and vloggers in general - not my cup of tea. So much of this online trend has passed me by.

Noa Put
May 12th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Maybe I understood wrong but did the couple only wanted to know if you could add a drone shot like in the video they showed?

Steve Burkett
May 12th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Maybe I understood wrong but did the couple only wanted to know if you could add a drone shot like in the video they showed?

No it was more, this is the sort of video they liked and wanted for themselves. In both cases, I got back and explained what was needed to pull of something similar (not identical of course) and quoted for the extra services needed. The one in April went for the extra for the Drone, but not the cameraman, whilst the one in June is still deciding on it all.

Both couples have chosen based on this video to do little letters to each other. Though the Groom for the one in June was going to do it as a surprise anyway, and then had to come clean when I approached the Bride about it and she sounded him out. Spoilt the surprise for her, but better for me, as I hate surprises at Weddings. I film better when I have an inkling of what's going on.

Paul R Johnson
May 12th, 2017, 11:47 AM
I guess you're in a market that moves rapidly with fashion. Every year (or maybe month) something new comes along. Those marryioke things came and seem to have died again, but realistically in my totally nonwedding world, every client comes with a new proposal, so it's pretty natural.

David Barnett
May 12th, 2017, 12:48 PM
lol, Maryoke's do seem a bit passe.

I'm sorta with Chris Harding where for the price point, I've chosen to pick & choose my offerings. Each year or two it's a new item comes around, some a standalone price, some require additional costs on the backend (new PC, editing software etc), HD, GoPro, Seadicam, Marryoke, Drones, Livestreaming, 4K etc. This mostly all since 2010.

I swear I think in 2014 I was asked if I shoot 4k, then a VERY new technology. I said I don't and received a response back about how I need to keep current with the changing times or something. I was like what?? I charge pretty low rates & I think they were lower back then.

Noa Put
May 12th, 2017, 01:03 PM
It's an interesting question as to whether I am being asked to copy someone else's style or deliver a type of video. How many here who make full length videos also offer a Highlights video - why because you wanted to, or because clients have asked for it. How much of our service is dictated by style and how much by market trends and client demands.

Don't know about others by I make a 5min film, a 25min film and give the the full ceremony, speeches and acts by friends so they get it all, I also don't let the client choose what they get so it's all or nothing because it has been my experience that once they feel they are not missing out of anything they never complain about a film being too short, too long or that they are missing out on anything. So in my case it's based on years of experience delivering in different ways and trying to find one complete package that doesn't cause any complaints afterwards.

How do any of you here define your style if you were asked to do so. Is it simply down to a type of video, the words full length, cinematic and shortform suggest style but can cover a very broad meaning and hardly distinguishes us from other Videographers.

I have a specific way of shooting and editing that is unique enough to separate myself from my competition in the Flemish part of Belgium, the first thing all my clients get to see are the trailers on my website and once they want to meet I will show them a 25 min version of a wedding that I have online with a password. Once they have seen that I don't have to explain what my style is because I rather show them. On my website I do describe my style as documentary with a hint of cinema :)

When presented with the above video, I don't see it so much as being asked to mimic another Videographer, anymore than if I was shown a full length video and asked to deliver a video like it. Some of the eye candy like Drone footage and gimbal shots are down to equipment used, but not style. Whilst the story telling structure of reading letters to each other is down to the style of the Wedding and couple in question rather than something forced on by the Videographer. Cultural differences also play a part.

If they show you the video and tell you this is what we would like the I would be careful making any promises, adding a drone won't make much difference, there is a lot to consider where even the difference in look (full frame vs m4/3) could cause remarks afterward. Personally I would never accept such a request, they either take the way I shoot and edit or find someone else.

Noa Put
May 12th, 2017, 01:11 PM
but realistically in my totally nonwedding world, every client comes with a new proposal, so it's pretty natural.

If you are talking about corporate shoots then this cannot be compared with weddings at all, both have totally different expectations and needs, that's why it wil be hard to find a weddingvideographer who would change styles on request of a client while for a corporate shoot it might be expected you would. A wedding couple picks a weddingvideographer based on the work they see on their website and the feeling it gives them while looking at your films while a company just wants to have a professional videographer who will help them to translate whatever they have in mind to film.

Steve Burkett
May 12th, 2017, 03:57 PM
I guess you're in a market that moves rapidly with fashion. Every year (or maybe month) something new comes along. Those marryioke things came and seem to have died again, but realistically in my totally nonwedding world, every client comes with a new proposal, so it's pretty natural.

Marryoke's are no longer the latest craze, but demand isn't so easily pacified. My Business almost grew from Marryokes whereby I needed to do very little marketing as a result of demand. Last year saw an unexpected change and severe drop in demand that shook my complacency and forced me back to taking marketing more seriously. As a result of my efforts, bookings are better than they were in the Marryoke glory years and oddly enough many of my clients are now discovering Marryoke for the first time and loving it. So I am shooting more than I was last year, though maybe not as many as the glory years of a few years back.

So in my case it's based on years of experience delivering in different ways and trying to find one complete package that doesn't cause any complaints afterwards.

Once they have seen that I don't have to explain what my style is because I rather show them. On my website I do describe my style as documentary with a hint of cinema :)

Noa, you have more experience than I, so respect that I still have my own feet to find. When you reach the destination, you often forget the benefits held in the journey. Something like this is a positive experience for me when finding my own style. Running cheapy Weddings with clients almost too easy to satisfy, allows little room for growth or extending my Business to more profitable and creative results. So being handed such moments like these can shake me out of the doldrums and push me to see how far I can take my work. My style is still evolving. Perhaps when I find a style I am happy with, I'll find such enquiries unnecessary. Or maybe I am just one of those people that finds joy in pushing the boundaries and trying new things and styles. I've never been good at settling for anything, even myself.

If they show you the video and tell you this is what we would like the I would be careful making any promises, adding a drone won't make much difference, there is a lot to consider where even the difference in look (full frame vs m4/3) could cause remarks afterward. Personally I would never accept such a request, they either take the way I shoot and edit or find someone else.

If you are talking about corporate shoots then this cannot be compared with weddings at all, both have totally different expectations and needs, that's why it wil be hard to find a weddingvideographer who would change styles on request of a client while for a corporate shoot it might be expected you would. A wedding couple picks a weddingvideographer based on the work they see on their website and the feeling it gives them while looking at your films while a company just wants to have a professional videographer who will help them to translate whatever they have in mind to film.

Looking at the above quotes, there is almost a contradiction. Would Wedding clients really notice full frame vs micro 4/3's, Corporate maybe. They are more likely to specify cameras, colour palette and look. Wedding clients typically care more about how something makes them feel. I agree technique plays a part, but editing, colour matters more than fullframe.

To give you an idea as to how Wedding clients see the video I reference, this is how the client in the upcoming June Wedding put her request:

"I also really like the style of this video:

We are not religious but I like the way it has been filmed. Slow fade in and out with close up"

The other client from the April Wedding, focused on the letters, the aerial footage and how it showed the couple together and having moments laughing and smiling. She was quite insistent on capturing moments of them together laughing and smiling during the photo shoot. No mention of shallow depth of field or technique, just moments of emotion. The aerial footage was perhaps the only thing that stuck out in the technique side of things; no doubt because it is still quite new in Wedding videos.

I agree that trying to satisfy such requests, often without the resources and style to fulfil it carries risk of disappointment, but oddly enough I am use to it. When couples first came to me for Marryokes, it was because of someone elses video they have seen. I chose to tackle those requests by finding my own voice when adapting what others have done already. A good practise perhaps in tackling the demands of this little video.

Roger Gunkel
May 12th, 2017, 05:04 PM
I had a couple about 3 years back who gave me a copy of their friends wedding video and said that they wanted a video just like that and could I do it. I suggested that perhaps they should use their friend's videographer, but apparently the wedding was 400 miles away. So I watched the video, which was full of special effects and gimmicky transitions, Picture in Picture and split screen of the same shot in colour and black and white. I thought it was terrible, but suggesrted that I showed them one of my typical weddings before they made any decision.

Their response was quite surprising. They loved my video and booked me immediately, it seemed that their friend's wedding video was the first they had seen and must have given them a sort of video sugar rush!!! It's always interesting to see what others are offering and where current fashions are going. Sometimes new ideas can be useful and add a new depth to your product, but have faith in your own product before adding someone else's gimmicks.

Roger

Chris Harding
May 12th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Hi David

These things can go on forever so that's why I decided on a standard package without all the gimmicks and eye candy stuff ...Sure, some brides really want the drone footage and the stedicam shoot and 3 videographers hovering over her but over here what has happened is that everyone (in fact mostly photographers) have decided to do wedding video now and they are furiously in competition with each other and the only way they can fight their way to the top of the pile is offer new stuff. As you mention, every time you offer the newest, latest and greatest ..up goes the cost and the price has to follow if you want to make a profit. I actually have had a bride who sent me someone's video and said "this is what we want you to do" ... When asked why not book the original videographer she mentioned "Oh they are MUCH too expensive"

I have created a nice little niche market and I'm sticking with it instead of continually buying new stuff!!

Noa Put
May 13th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Sure, some brides really want the drone footage and the stedicam shoot and 3 videographers hovering over her

That's not what they want, they want an experience or as in Steve's case, they want to have the same feeling they had watching the other videographers film. They apparently didn't get that same feeling watching Steve's films on his website so they asked him if he can make something similar which is why I said to him to be careful not to make any promises you maybe cannot keep. One of the couples said to Steve "I like the way it has been filmed. Slow fade in and out with close up", now here she is trying to describe what she thinks makes her to like the film but she is not able to, it is a bit more then just fades or even a drone, it's not only the way a wedding is shot, a "look" like shooting with full frame camera can play a small part of it, the way shots are framed, how good the use of sound was, how it was edited and how emotional it was, some emotions just happen but you need to be lucky there, that's why some videographers ask to read out loud loveletters so they at least have "a story" and with a bit of luck some tears while reading those letters and that's the way you draw in new clients because they get emotional just watching the film. Those are also the type of clients who are willing to pay you more then your competitors if you are able to evoke feelings while watching your films that they did not feel while watching with your competitor films.

(in fact mostly photographers) have decided to do wedding video now and they are furiously in competition with each other and the only way they can fight their way to the top of the pile is offer new stuff.

That's because they lack the talent to make a compelling film so they need to compensate with gear, I have seen them in Belgium as well, photographers starting to offer video and one of them has a picture on his frontpage taken from a higher perspective with a drone and you see a weddingcouple in the frame and in photoshop he has added a drone which takes up the largest part of the image. Then in big letters it says, new in 2017! weddingvideo with a drone! but if you look at his portfolio there are only photos but no video...

Steve Burkett
May 13th, 2017, 02:29 AM
That's not what they want, they want an experience or as in Steve's case, they want to have the same feeling they had watching the other videographers film. They apparently didn't get that same feeling watching Steve's films on his website so they asked him if he can make something similar which is why I said to him to be careful not to make any promises you maybe cannot keep.

Actually my website has no examples. It will have very soon. An oversight when I remade my website last year when funds were tight and I could afford few pages. That said, you're right they do see my examples, albeit via a DVD I send them.

I've only recently ventured into more elaborate Highlight videos. Until last year, my short videos online were Trailers, with the vows sometimes as background audio along with music. However hastily put together soon after the Wedding as a taster, rather than something specially created as a Highlights of the Day video.

That has changed and I'm still finding my style and voice with these videos. Which is why I welcome taking them a step further with these enquires. They are a step above what I usually do and an interesting experiment in what I can achieve with a little more time and resources. However, as Noa says, there is a risk in promising something I can't deliver. However as long as there is a good dialogue and the client knows the limitations every step of the way, then hopefully we both benefit from the work.

Working the budget Weddings can carry it's own rewards, but sometimes, I'd like to take on projects that push me beyond just delivering a full length video and a basic Highlights video. Sure I can play it safe and stick to what works and deliver to those who expect only what I've done in the past, but I prefer to be challenged more. At least for now.

That's because they lack the talent to make a compelling film so they need to compensate with gear..

Not always, some just like playing with toys. I know I do, which is why I often get tempted by something I see online and hit purchase, often without always thinking if I have the time or talent to use it. Still there's always eBay for when I get it wrong. :)

Noa Put
May 13th, 2017, 02:55 AM
It's right not all who use special gear have to compensate for lack of talent, I was specifically referring to most photographers who are adding video to their services, they often cannot compete with established videograpers so they need to use these gadgets to get noticed. Guys like Ray Roman who charge more then 10K for a wedding have started to add drone shots to their films as well, most likely because his clients are starting to expect it because they see drone shots in other, much cheaper, weddingvideographer films. He also might have to use it to keep up with the competition and to give his clients the feel they are getting their moneys worth.

Roger Gunkel
May 13th, 2017, 04:06 AM
Having watched the video all the way through, I am finding it difficult to relate it to the real life world. It is beautifully filmed, superbly edited and a complex mix of emotion, music and impressive use of slow motion, drone footage, very shallow dof and time shifting. It is the sort of thing that couples will look at and think 'that is beautiful'.

Those are the positives that I see and for what the producers set out to achieve, I really can't fault it in anyway. However, it is a highly specialised product that is aimed at third party viewers of a couple who would appear to love being stars in their own cinematic film and have the money to afford it. It creates emotion in others viewing the video who have no connection with the couple whatsoever, so from that point of view it is a great piece of cinema and can also be admired by other video producers.

It bears no relation to what my clients want to see and it is highly constructed and contrived. My clients would be mortified if this was their only wedding video as it doesn't contain anything of what they would want to see and hear. When watching it, they want to see and hear what is going on around them, see the relations that have travelled miles to be there, hear all the laughter and fun during the dancing, hear what the guitarist at the reception was actually singing and all the chatter and fun that the girls had during the preps. The list is endless and the video doesn't inspire me to want to emulate it in any way, even while I am admiring it for what it is.

A wedding is sometimes the only chance that couples have to get all their family and friends together and something that is a memory for the rest of their lives together. If a couple came to me and said they wanted their wedding video to be like the one Steve has posted, I would try first to explain to them how much they would be missing and show them examples of that, but I would also tell them that if it was something they really wanted, it would cost them accordingly and would not be just a matter of filming their day as it happens and would require much more time and input from them.

The problem with this style and competence of video is that it creates an instantaneous emotional response which is admirable as a production, but can also turn the heads of couples who have no real idea of what they would want to see afterwards and can possible have a negative effect on the numbers who actually opt for a wedding video when they see what is involved in getting the 'dream' video.

It is not a wedding video, it is a film about a wedding. I repeat that it is a superb piece of work that I greatly admire, but not something I would be interested in producing.

Roger

Chris Harding
May 13th, 2017, 05:14 AM
I agree Roger

One of the most popular segments of our videos is what we term the "shout out" where guests get to send comments to overseas people watching and it makes the overseas people feel like they are there...it's chaotic and crazy and certainly not in the least bit cinematic or a wedding film but hugely popular and our couples love it. Not all brides want a wedding film which is often a videographer showing off his skills rather than a genuine reflection of the wedding day and guest interaction.

I have great respect for people who have this awesome talent to produce a romantic wedding film but it's never been my cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks and thank goodness all brides are not the same!!

Roger Gunkel
May 13th, 2017, 05:20 PM
That's interesting Chris as one of the the most popular bits of the weddings we film is a section where I take a small handheld camera around the tables and get guests to say something spontaneous for the couple to see. It is sometimes hilarious and sometimes rude, always very wobbly but the guests love doing it and the couple love watching the messages. The quality is totally irrelevant as it is a few minutes of pure fun.

Roger

Chris Harding
May 13th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Hi Roger

Even before we started doing weddings live we also go around tables. One bride actually said "I booked you because you are the only person that does the talking thing" I guess she meant the round the table guest comments?

Nice to know that some brides still appreciate the simpler things and don't base their video choice on how arty and cinematic a wedding video is. Then again reading the Cell Phone thread here makes one wonder how long it will be before guys will be shooting weddings on their Galaxy 8 Plus phones.. and their video cameras will be lying in the cupboard gathering dust?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/533953-cell-phone-video-threat-real-camcorders-cameras.html

Noa Put
May 14th, 2017, 01:41 AM
Then again reading the Cell Phone thread here makes one wonder how long it will be before guys will be shooting weddings on their Galaxy 8 Plus phones.. and their video cameras will be lying in the cupboard gathering dust?

You could say the same about using gopro's, in good light conditions they also give a good image quality and why not? They are point and shoot camera's, always in focus, easy to transport and you can place them in about any place or position but honestly, who in his right mind would think of only using gopros at a wedding and the same applies for a smartphone. Sure there could be a place for both devices to use at a wedding but only to complement other main camera's that carry the most important load. You are just in for a world of pain trying to make changes to your smartphone on the fly, they are not made for this kind of thing. I would never even think of using them unless all my camera's at a wedding would simultaneously die and only my smartphone would work, only then I"d take it out and start shooting.

That's interesting Chris as one of the the most popular bits of the weddings we film is a section where I take a small handheld camera around the tables and get guests to say something spontaneous for the couple to see. It is sometimes hilarious and sometimes rude, always very wobbly but the guests love doing it and the couple love watching the messages. The quality is totally irrelevant as it is a few minutes of pure fun.

I did that in the past but a family member came with me as an interviewer and I gave them a handmicrophone, eventually I stopped doing it because guests where often caught off guard, didn't know what to say or where annoyed about it. Now I have a paid option where I stay an hour after the first dance to record peoples best wishes from a fixed location, I set up my camera, have a wireless mike ready and ask the dj to announce where I"m standing and what the intention is, I also ask the couple to push the guests to come and say something.

One thing I don't agree with is that the quality is totally irrelevant, if that would be the case, why would they need you to shoot it? They could do it themselves just passing a cell phone around. I too often see people justifying bad video or audio quality because all that matters is the content, that's why people hire a professional videographer because they want something better then what uncle Bob can provide them. If you allow your productionquality to go down to a uncle Bob level then I can understand why some fear cell phones because the guests at a wedding can do the same as you do.

Steve Burkett
May 14th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Nice to know that some brides still appreciate the simpler things and don't base their video choice on how arty and cinematic a wedding video is.

As with any Business model, there are broad ranges of customers with different demands and needs. Does MacDonalds chase customers who love Chinese Food or prefer 5* Restaurants. No, it knows it customer range and markets to them. I have clients who book my Marryoke only package and nothing in the World will convince them to add even say just Ceremony filming, which they could do quite cheaply. Its just not what they want. However I have other clients who find the whole idea of a Marryoke tacky and cherish a long full length video. So I get to see two different sides of clients.

Then again reading the Cell Phone thread here makes one wonder how long it will be before guys will be shooting weddings on their Galaxy 8 Plus phones.. and their video cameras will be lying in the cupboard gathering dust?

Clients don't hire equipment, they hire Professionals, and Professionals choose the gear. Will some choose a Phone - sure, and I bet some have even tried it. However more I think for the whole gimmick of the thing rather than say because it's a great tool for the job. My GH5 has a whole range of Professional features, but some would argue the form factor is contrary to Professional filming. So you can imagine where a phone would sit.

It's been a long time since I've felt the need to explain or justify why I shoot a client's Wedding on a Photo camera, but I think moving onto a phone would be a harder sell. For novelty value maybe and if I could make the limitations less a restriction and more a stylistic choice that suited the type of video I was creating. However it would be a novelty that would quickly fade.

Video is always on the look out for innovation or the latest gimmick to rise above the multitude of videos out there; be it 3D, 360 degree videos or filming on a phone. If done well, it can be award winning, but it has to be done very well to make a mark.

Steve Burkett
May 14th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Having watched the video all the way through, I am finding it difficult to relate it to the real life world.

I have trouble relating any Wedding to the real life World, and it's my job. :)

It bears no relation to what my clients want to see and it is highly constructed and contrived. My clients would be mortified if this was their only wedding video as it doesn't contain anything of what they would want to see and hear.

A wedding is sometimes the only chance that couples have to get all their family and friends together and something that is a memory for the rest of their lives together. If a couple came to me and said they wanted their wedding video to be like the one Steve has posted, I would try first to explain to them how much they would be missing and show them examples of that, but I would also tell them that if it was something they really wanted, it would cost them accordingly and would not be just a matter of filming their day as it happens and would require much more time and input from them.

I have several couples a year that book my Marryoke Only Package. They get to see none of what you quote. Despite seeing all my samples, they are steadfast. Hell, on 1, I offered a free Highlights Video and Ceremony included and they said no. All they wanted was the Marryoke.

That said, I think the video works well if included with say a longer edit. Certainly the 2 clients who have asked for this video have booked me to film their Wedding with the Full Length and 30-40 min shorter edit that I include as standard. They showed me this sample video as something they'd like for the Highlights Video that they also receive. It's not to replace a Full Length, simply compliment it.

Of course, some Videographers have packages that only offer a short 5-8 min Highlights video; not even adding a Ceremony and Speeches video. I've spoken to clients who had become quiet frustrated with this when considering a Wedding Video. Still if Videographers wish to shun the full length, that's good news for me and you. :)

Roger Gunkel
May 14th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I did that in the past but a family member came with me as an interviewer and I gave them a handmicrophone, eventually I stopped doing it because guests where often caught off guard, didn't know what to say or where annoyed about it. Now I have a paid option where I stay an hour after the first dance to record peoples best wishes from a fixed location, I set up my camera, have a wireless mike ready and ask the dj to announce where I"m standing and what the intention is, I also ask the couple to push the guests to come and say something.

One thing I don't agree with is that the quality is totally irrelevant, if that would be the case, why would they need you to shoot it? They could do it themselves just passing a cell phone around. I too often see people justifying bad video or audio quality because all that matters is the content, that's why people hire a professional videographer because they want something better then what uncle Bob can provide them. If you allow your productionquality to go down to a uncle Bob level then I can understand why some fear cell phones because the guests at a wedding can do the same as you do.

It all depends on how you approach it Noa and what you are comfortable with. Apart from video and photography, I have also spent over 50 years of my life as an entertainer and am very used to quick banter and making people feel at ease. The whole point of my instant sudden messages is that people are off guard and you have to pick the first one carefully after observing people. Once the first one has reacted, they all want to say something, sometimes with light hearted banter prompting and sometimes with their table companions encouraging them loudly. I would never use a hand mic or an assistant as that kills the sponteneaity, and part of the fun when watching it is that it is all full of quick movements from one to the other and people sticking their faces into the camera and having fun. That is why the quality is irrelevant, as it is probably more akin to the look of a cellphone, a bit jerky and low tech. It is a total contrast to the rest of the video which is why it works so well and the skill is in being able to choose the right people and being able to instantly motivate them without any discomfort for them. I wouldn't suggest everyone should do it, but it works well for me and is often something I get asked to do when potential clients see it :-)

Roger

Roger Gunkel
May 14th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Of course, some Videographers have packages that only offer a short 5-8 min Highlights video; not even adding a Ceremony and Speeches video. I've spoken to clients who had become quiet frustrated with this when considering a Wedding Video. Still if Videographers wish to shun the full length, that's good news for me and you. :)

I'll second that :-)

Roger

Chris Harding
May 14th, 2017, 08:15 PM
It also depends if you are a "hide in the shadows" videographer or an interactive one. I have seen videographers (we were doing photos on that occasion) who barely said a word all night and spent most of his time quietly sneaking up and taking shots when he could. Like Roger I'm very interactive with not only the bridal party but also all the guests too ... I chat to them, laugh with them and mingle with them so doing fun comments are totally natural for me and I guess they also feel comfortable too. If you are shy and reserved then doing what I call "guest comments" wouldn't be a good idea!

Danny O'Neill
May 16th, 2017, 06:05 AM
The problem you will face is people ask if you can do that. Sure we all can but then you quote them the cost of it.

We offer drone, using a 3rd party, licenced operator. Thats another £700 plus our markup.

We spend a lot of time dealing with people who love our work, tell us were too expensive, go away and then a couple of months come back asking if were still available as they were wrong when they thought they could get the exact same thing for £500.

Decent cameras, decent lenses, trained staff and the time it takes to make a decent film all cost money.

Were also one of those who only offer a 7 minute film with everything else optional. It's just the market we chose to target.

Roger Gunkel
May 17th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Danny makes some good points. I took a booking this week from a couple who felt that we were 'quite expensive', as they had obviously seen much cheaper offerings. However, after viewing one of our typical videos, they booked without any further mention of price.

It's easy for a couple to see something like the video that is the subject of this thread, then knowing nothing about the complexities of filming and editing, will assume that any video company can do the same thing no matter what their pricing is. Why pay £3000 for it if there is a company down the road that will shoot wedding video for £300.

Having taken a wedding video booking a few months ago, we were asked a couple of weeks later if we could add a Marryoke for the same total price! As Danny said, they can have whatever they want providing they are prepared to pay for it.

Roger