View Full Version : Got My JVC & ....

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 11th, 2017, 07:14 PM
So my JVC came in the mail today and all I can do is look at it. LOL! I have no lens for it. I have no adapter for it yet. SMH... I could not determine if I wanted to go with Canon glass with an adapter or just go straight M4/3. I have some Canon glass - Canon 50mm F/1.4, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8, and Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8.

The problem is that I would have to get a smart adapter for both cameras (I'm riunning 2 LS300). I would like to get the speedbooster but it is $650. that is $1300 for both and I dont have that in the budget. I could go with the straight Metabones smart adapter and it is about $400. I could go with one of the cheaper joints and around a bill or a bill and a half. Obviously the dumb one wont work because I need it to control the aperture on the Canon Glass.

Oh I should add that the Red I got has the Canon EF mount on it.

Well...

Mark Watson
May 11th, 2017, 08:16 PM
If videography is your livelihood, then you might want to sell one of those new cameras and then you'd at least have money to buy some 4/3 lenses and put the one camera to work for you. If you go with a smart adapter, I'd just buy a single unit and see if it works for you. Might not have the functionality you want. I have a standard Metabones and a Speed Booster Metabones for my FS7. This gives me double duty on all my EF glass because the Speed Booster has a wider FOV than the standard adapter.

Jay P. Kaley
May 11th, 2017, 08:18 PM
Congrats man, that is kinda funny just looking at it with no lens, a tease!

On lenses, we were in a similar boat. I debated straight M43 v others for awhile researching, and what it came down to for me is I had finally stepped up to an s35 sensor from 1/3", so I wanted to use all or as much of it on the daily as I could, felt like a shame to go all M43 and crop that much of the s35 all the time. That's how I ended up at the Veydras, M43 mount so no adapter but they also cover the sensor.

Other than the Rokinon, I didn't find that in too many options, almost like they were made for this camera. And the 16mm Veydra will slightly vignette, but you can just tap in the prime zoom and don't even have to change VSM or handle in post.

And as I said in other thread, I didn't want to part with $650 for the speedbooster either after buying lenses, so my only adapter experience is with the Kipon smart adapter at about $250, works well with OIS with the Canon 24-105, it's a pretty solid good light event lens.

My plan for straight M43 is to maybe get one of those speedy 50mm f1.98s for low light, but so far the Veydra primes and one canon zoom is working okay.

Enjoy the process.

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 11th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Yeah it is not like that. I guess I need to be a little more clear when I post this stuff. I have the 3 older cams that I am selling now which are the Sony FS100's. I have 3 of them. I need to dump them and free up some cash. I have a lot of FS100 accessories as well that has to go. I have about $7000 tied up in the old equipment. It is depreciating so fast I have to dump it fast. I will free up money to get what I need. Presently the budget does not permit a lot at the moment. I got a month before my next wedding so I'm trying to get as much practice time as possible.

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 11th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Congrats man, that is kinda funny just looking at it with no lens, a tease!

On lenses, we were in a similar boat. I debated straight M43 v others for awhile researching, and what it came down to for me is I had finally stepped up to an s35 sensor from 1/3", so I wanted to use all or as much of it on the daily as I could, felt like a shame to go all M43 and crop that much of the s35 all the time. That's how I ended up at the Veydras, M43 mount so no adapter but they also cover the sensor.

Other than the Rokinon, I didn't find that in too many options, almost like they were made for this camera. And the 16mm Veydra will slightly vignette, but you can just tap in the prime zoom and don't even have to change VSM or handle in post.

And as I said in other thread, I didn't want to part with $650 for the speedbooster either after buying lenses, so my only adapter experience is with the Kipon smart adapter at about $250, works well with OIS with the Canon 24-105, it's a pretty solid good light event lens.

My plan for straight M43 is to maybe get one of those speedy 50mm f1.98s for low light, but so far the Veydra primes and one canon zoom is working okay.

Enjoy the process.

LOL, I wanted to run the Rokinon DS T1.5 Line to start. I could not decide to get the EF mount or go M4/3. The Rokinon M4/3 are full frame. Would be nice to get a M4/3 to Canon for the Red and rock all the same Rokinon.

Jay P. Kaley
May 11th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Okay I gotcha, you meant the mount I thought you meant all M43 lenses.

And I might not have been clear, i meant it's almost like the Rokinon and the Veydra, both being M43 mount that cover the s35 sensor, seemed almost made for this camera, I couldn't find many others like that.

My limited firsthand experience- I got the Rokinon 1.5 35mm with the camera and ordered the Veydra 2.2 35mm at the same time to be able to compare and return one. Both have de-clicked rings and built in gears that are real smooth. The Veydra is a little more heavier solid metal build and a little sharper, but the Rokinon was a fine lens, I went back and forth on it many times, could get another lens or two for the difference in cost, although I did shop a bit and waited on sale prices on the different Veydras to save some of that difference, a $999 lens on sale for $799 at various places now and then and so forth.

A practical note depending on your preference is the Rokinon has a shorter focus throw, about 150 degrees v 300 degrees on the Veydra. Depending on what you're used to or what your application is, the longer "cinema" focus throw isn't as good to me as the long but more workable 150 degrees on the Roki. I don't do film sets or focus pullers, and while the longer throw on the Veydra doesn't breath, it does make one-man rack moves or getting to focus quickly a little tougher if the subjects are far apart, it's almost a full turn.

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 12th, 2017, 05:30 AM
Thanks Jay... That is very helpful to know the difference between the two. Have you had the opportunity to test the XEEN lens? It is suppose to be a competitor of the veydra. the XEEN is more expensive but from t he videos and the things I have read there is not much difference between them. The test that were done comparing the two were very close. The veydra seems to me to be the better choice. Because of budget reasons I probably will go with a set of the Roki's DS line. Can grab the the 24, 35, 50, 50 for around $1750. Just one XEEN is $2500. To get one Veydra 50mm is $800. So price point will dictate to hit the Roki's then when the opportunity presents itself I can upgade to the veydras.

I'm extremely happy so far for getting the LS300 from B&H used for $2k. I thing it is a great deal. The cam looks and feel brand new. Just need to get a lens on it to make sure all works well. I will order one today and get it here prime from Amazon and go from there. The $500 I saved by getting the cam used will pay for the first Roki lens.

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 12th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Just made the order Jay. Got the Roki 35mm & 50mm both for $650 prime. should have them on Sunday.

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 12th, 2017, 08:04 AM
If videography is your livelihood, then you might want to sell one of those new cameras and then you'd at least have money to buy some 4/3 lenses and put the one camera to work for you. If you go with a smart adapter, I'd just buy a single unit and see if it works for you. Might not have the functionality you want. I have a standard Metabones and a Speed Booster Metabones for my FS7. This gives me double duty on all my EF glass because the Speed Booster has a wider FOV than the standard adapter.

I'm sorry that I was not clear and inadvertently misled you. I have a budget but trying to figure out which route to go. Thank you for the help Mark.

Jay P. Kaley
May 12th, 2017, 09:28 AM
That's cool you got them ordered, no doubt that you cannot beat the Rokinon on bang for the buck, and the 35mm I tested made some nice images.

Thanks Jay... That is very helpful to know the difference between the two. Have you had the opportunity to test the XEEN lens? It is suppose to be a competitor of the veydra.
I never tested the XEEN, read plenty about it during research. At $2500, I'd say the XEEN wants to be more of a Zeiss or Sony cinema competitor than Veydra, although I do think the Veydra could stand up to it.

$2500 for the XEEN priced me out of them anyway but the conclusions I drew while researching were that the XEEN wasn't worth that price, with some even offering that the XEEN is more like the Roki you got has been dressed up than a top of the line cinema competitor. But those prices were out of my range and I never considered anything higher than the $900-1000 ceiling. I've got $2500ish in the 3 Veydras, went back and forth on the Roki/Veydra decision.

I'll post a shot of my rig currently too if you want to take a look for info purposes, it went thru a few versions. I'd offer be wary of making a rig too large and heavy the first time, take some time to shop around, some good stuff on ebay. I've got it down to something pretty small and functional and reasonably affordable with some trial and error maybe save you some time/effort/cabbage.

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 14th, 2017, 03:35 PM
That's cool you got them ordered, no doubt that you cannot beat the Rokinon on bang for the buck, and the 35mm I tested made some nice images.

I never tested the XEEN, read plenty about it during research. At $2500, I'd say the XEEN wants to be more of a Zeiss or Sony cinema competitor than Veydra, although I do think the Veydra could stand up to it.

$2500 for the XEEN priced me out of them anyway but the conclusions I drew while researching were that the XEEN wasn't worth that price, with some even offering that the XEEN is more like the Roki you got has been dressed up than a top of the line cinema competitor. But those prices were out of my range and I never considered anything higher than the $900-1000 ceiling. I've got $2500ish in the 3 Veydras, went back and forth on the Roki/Veydra decision.

I'll post a shot of my rig currently too if you want to take a look for info purposes, it went thru a few versions. I'd offer be wary of making a rig too large and heavy the first time, take some time to shop around, some good stuff on ebay. I've got it down to something pretty small and functional and reasonably affordable with some trial and error maybe save you some time/effort/cabbage.

No Doubt, Turn us on to your system and flow. Throw us some images too. I love to see pics.

John Vincent
May 21st, 2017, 02:21 AM
Let's see dem pics! :)

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 21st, 2017, 05:49 PM

What three Veydras did you get? After some research and reading around the net I found that the LS300 has a APS-C sensor and not full frame like I had thought. My bad for assuming. Anyway, I made a thread about it here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4k-pro-handheld-camcorders/534129-full-frame-lens-not-recommended-ls300.html

I'm now looking to score the veydras as they were made for the APS-C sensor and they support 4K resolution which is important. Nothing like maximizing your ability to get the best images possible.