View Full Version : Ransomware and windows xp.

Bob Hart
May 14th, 2017, 12:08 AM
It is a scary thought but maybe the SI2K's XPe operating system could be affected by this particular malware. I am too technically illiterate to know, so my comments should not be taken as valid. I would hope that the SI software protection of the camera operating system prevents this new threat from taking root.

For the time being it would probably be prudent for the cameras and recorders to be quarantined from unprotected computers which remain connected to the internet and that internet computers have their system update function for Windows enabled.

There has been a software patch for embedded Windows XP provided freely by Microsoft although Windows XP itself is now EOL and only supported by custom contracts between existing large scale users and Microsoft.

Because the SI version of Windows XPe and the embedded applications on the P+S Technik camera-recorder are highly customised and protected, it might not be affected. I have not used or installed the PC or laptop versions so I don't know if the SI system protection is also available on them.

Until I can enquire with Ari Presler at SI or P+S Technik, I shall endeavour to keep my camera-recorder and editing computer quarantined with courier drives like USB sticks or portable drives used only on a one-way path from the camera-recorder and editor.

Bob Hart
May 14th, 2017, 09:31 AM
I have been in touch with Ari Presler relating to the P+S Technik/Silicon Imaging camera-recorder and there is re-assuring news.

His reply conveyed that the operating system is locked down pretty well. One does not typically use the system to to go browse the Internet or email. "You can't change the registry unless you remove the lock to install new software."

I was concerned about re-using courier drives or USB sticks back to the camera-recorder if they had been in contact with a computer linked to the web.

"Even if something gets in during one execution you simply reboot the system and you're back to the same starting point. That was one of the reasons we put in the whole operating system embedded lock."

Historically, my camera-recorder has recovered from a few abuses, disconnected power whilst shooting, a dud drive and a remote camera disconnect. A reboot, normal shutdown and reboot to re-establish stability has been all it took to bring it back.

With systems using a tethered camera feeding a laptop/notebook recorder with Silicon DVR installed as an application, operating within Windows XP under Windows 7, then it would be appropriate to enable Windows security updates for the primary operating system.

Andrew Smith
May 14th, 2017, 04:05 PM
I've heard rumours, which would help your worst case scenario, that Microsoft still supports their 'point of sale' edition of Windows XP.

See here for info: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/183362-windows-xp-rises-from-the-grave-simple-hack-gives-you-five-more-years-of-updates

Andrew

Bob Hart
May 16th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Andrew.

Thanks for that bit of info and the link. I was keeping an XP computer for sound work but the motherboard was one of those which had the dud capacitors so that was that. I have another oldie which is XP which I was using for internet until recently. I might try the update trickery on that.

Andrew Smith
May 17th, 2017, 12:32 AM
By sheer coincidence there is a guy in Perth who is excellent at replacing dud capacitors. He hangs out on the Beyonwiz forum (http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum/index.php) (user: warkus) and mainly fixed power supplies for the Beyonwiz P2 units.

Just in case that physical XP box is really important or something.

Using Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) is also an option. It's what I do..

Andrew

Bob Hart
May 17th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Andrew.

Thank you for the new info. I wonder if he might know how to get hold of and change a Realtek audio chipset on an XPe backpane linked split motherboard system.

Andrew Smith
May 17th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Very handy with electronic components and soldering irons. Best to make contact with him and ask.

Andrew