View Full Version : Videoing the eclipse

Bob Safay
May 15th, 2017, 04:07 PM
As you know, there will be a total eclipse of the sun on August 21, 2017. I would like any information on videoing this event. I will be using the Canon XF300. I imagine that I would need a lot of ND filters. Can anyone give me any advice. Thanks. Bob

Ed Roo
May 15th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Gain as low as it will go.
Aperture as high as it necessary.
Shutter speed as high as necessary,
All ND internal filters applied.
External ND filters as necessary.

I, too, will be using an XF300.

Don Palomaki
May 16th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Solar Eclipses & Video (http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEvideo.html)
while an old post it offers some ideas.

This is a common interned discussion subject and a search should turn up a lot of information.

Oren Arieli
May 16th, 2017, 10:24 AM
When I had a telescope, it included a mylar filter for solar observation. But for a measly $20 you can make your own: https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Filter-Telescopes-Binoculars-Cameras/dp/B00DS7S52W

Andrew Smith
May 17th, 2017, 12:36 AM
Most important thing is to not use your remaining eye.

Andrew

Doug Jensen
May 17th, 2017, 09:03 PM
During totality you don't need anything special at all. Just shoot it (with as many cameras as you can setup). Before and after totality -- don't even waste your time because a partial eclipse it's not going to make good video.

Bob Safay
May 18th, 2017, 04:42 AM
This is some really good information. Thank you everyone. I am planning on videoing the event from Hickory Knob State Park near McCormick, SC. Bob

Paul Silva
May 19th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Rain on Sunday :(

Chris Hurd
May 20th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Anyone here in the USA planning to travel for this event? I am.

Gary Huff
May 20th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Anyone here in the USA planning to travel for this event? I am.

Yes, I am planning to travel to Kansas where it will be seen as a full eclipse.

Bob Safay
May 20th, 2017, 11:47 AM
I believe this is the first time in over 100 years where there will be a full eclipse from coast to coast.

Steve Siegel
June 12th, 2017, 05:51 PM
hey Bob,

I will be in Manning, SC. Is that anywhere near Hickory Knob? Let's hope for clear skies. I have a Florida friend who is flying to Idaho because of the long-range weather reports.

Bob Safay
June 15th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Steve, I checked out Hickory Knob and decided that was outside the 100% zone. I decided to go to an area northwest of Clemson. You will be closer to the coast. Good shooting and be safe Bob

Ed Roo
August 20th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Sometimes, the best laid plans fall apart.
I have an airplane reserved to fly to the KY-TN path of totality and a Lee Solar Eclipse filter.
I neglected to check my calendar for prior commitments.
(Dope slap)
Now I will record an 86% partial eclipse from home.

Donald McPherson
August 20th, 2017, 11:54 PM
With so many people videoing this. I will just wait and watch yours. ;-)

Boyd Ostroff
August 21st, 2017, 04:48 AM
Haha Donald, that's what I decided as well. I thought about getting filters and going somewhere, but decided to just save my money and time. This is going to be the most over-shared event in many years, don't think I could contribute much on my own.

It's funny, Carbondale IL is the place where it will be the longest in the US. My mothers family lived just a few miles from there and I used to visit frequently. But that was long ago and they're all gone now.

Hope everyone views it safely and doesn't do any damage to their cameras!

Bob Safay
August 21st, 2017, 07:50 PM
Well guys, I just got home from watching the 100% eclipse from a State Park in South Carolina. First, I must give credit to the SC State Troopers for doing such a magnificent job of keeping people moving on the interstates and providing assistance to everyone that needed help or directions. Now, the eclipse was magnificent!! This was my second one (Washington State Nov. 1979). I decided not to take my XF300 because like others said, there will be millions of shots of it on the web. I wont be around for the next one, but I'm sure glad I caught this one. Bob

Cary Knoop
August 21st, 2017, 08:52 PM
Here in Northen California it was partial and very cloudy.
Normally we have blue skies but Murphy's law applied here too. :(

Solar Eclipse (Partial) - Newark, CA - August 21, 2017 - Cloudy - YouTube