View Full Version : Cage for GH5 required?

Simon Denny
May 18th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Anyone using a cage on their GH5? I was NOT going down the path of adding a cage to my GH5 however, I did a shoot yesterday and had two lav kits connected to my Zoom which I then synced up again in post, man I'll never do that again... and in all these years this was the first time I have ever done this. All audio I have captured direct into the camera.

I thought I would be a cheap ass this time and not need a cage....famous last words, I now need a cage to mount two Lav kits on top and then direct audio into the GH5 via a splitter lead, I'm being a cheap ass again.

Any suggestions?

Ones I'm looking at
8SINN PANASONIC GH5 CAGE
Movcam
Robot Skin
Came TV

Paul Mailath
May 21st, 2017, 03:59 AM
I'd look at smallrig on ebay - it's like meccano for camera support.I built my own rig for the GH4 and it can be adapted for the GH5 or any other camera. There are endless bits to adapt to your particular needs.

I've found the quality to be good and I can design the exact rig I want

Simon Denny
May 21st, 2017, 04:59 AM
Thanks Paul,
I have a Movcam on my A7s, I'll check out Smallrig.

Cheers, S

Bruce Foreman
May 24th, 2017, 09:18 PM
I have 2 cages for the GH4 and use neither of them. The one I use is the simple GB 1 from Photography&Cinema.com.

https://photographyandcinema.com/collections/camera-cage/products/gearbox-video-camera-accessory-cage

I use a Manfrotto 577 Quick Disconnect mounted on the bottom plate so I can simply slide in and lock any camera with a 501 compatible plate attached. I've used everything from a GX7, G7, Olympus OMD E-M5, and my GH4 with it. Just got my GH5 and it fits fine.

Watch the two videos on the linked page to see how flexible this thing is. Price: $95.00 and it's solid!