View Full Version : 4K playback: VLC +1, All other programs 0?

Peter Lowe
May 19th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Why is it that when I playback XAVC-S 4K files in VLC media player the colors look clean and fine, whereas when I play the same files back in other programs like Sony Catalyst Browse they look muddy and dark?

Maybe VLC has some auto-proxy playback thingy that other programs donīt?

Of course none of the programs I have can play back the files fast enough to avoid massive stuttering but if I understand right that is because of my old faithful 2012 Macbook Proīs lack of processing power not the programs.

What I would really like to know is if and when I do upgrade to a faster computer will the colors of the 4K files then look as good in the other programs as they do now in VLC - or is it just that VLC is somehow auto adjusting the files on the fly so they look better than they actually do?

Jack Zhang
June 6th, 2017, 06:25 AM
It seems like you are viewing video without the broadcast level limiter on. This is what VLC is famous for. All other programs in your experience seem to be expanding 16-235 to 0-255. VLC always plays videos by default in Windows at 0-255, so footage shot with a 16-235 broadcast level limit will look washed out.