View Full Version : For those offering digital downloads . . .

Steven Reid
May 19th, 2017, 10:09 PM
For many years I've sold DVDs and Blu-rays of productions. Now I've stepped into the world of selling digital downloads, too (e.g., MP4 files). I'd like to hear about experiences from those of you who also sell downloads.

For the time being, I've kept things very simple: a purchaser will be e-mailed a link to a page on my server as well as login credentials that, once entered, will give the purchaser access to the purchased video for download. I intend for the download instructions to be e-mailed to all purchasers at once, and the link will be live for, say, only 48h.

I know about paid services (like ejunkie) that ease this process, but for now I want free. I also am fully aware that once the login credentials and the actual video file are 'in the wild,' nothing except a moral compass that isn't broken will prevent a purchaser from sharing or posting these items with others. Purchasers in my case are parents of choir students. I don't worry about them so much as the students.

Would you please do your best to shoot holes into my plan, let me know what works for you and especially what doesn't?

Thanks!

Bruce Dempsey
May 20th, 2017, 05:16 AM
- Youtube offers private video whereby only those you specify by their email can watch.
- using a url shortener you can incorporate the clients name in the url which might give them pause when considering sharing
both of these require a lot of work.
Don't give yourself ulcers over this maybe losing a couple of sales. Just do the honor system (easiest on you - least work)
Give them the feeling that you trust them and they will justify your trust (or not lol)

Pete Cofrancesco
May 20th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Do you use Bitly to customize shorten url?

I assume vimeo or any video service that offers privacy can be used or does youtube do it better?

Is the process:
they buy the digital movie via PayPal

you add their email to the YouTube list who are allowed access

then use a url shortener to put their name in the link and email it to them.

Bruce Dempsey
May 20th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I been using http://www.us.to/
if private utube is used, no need to modify url (might not work anyway with utube)
modify url incorporating clients name if the file will be non private and sharable via whatever service is used

Paul R Johnson
May 20th, 2017, 08:24 AM
You could do it on an automated system, involving some software and php on the server, and payments via PayPal - we do this, but writing the code for the PayPal buttons, adding the code in the files the server runs, and keeping it updated is a real pain.

If you trust them, why not just get a site up and running with reasonable data costs, and just upload it with a random file name 19hf93.mp4 or similar, then email them that. Clear the old ones out after a while.

Steven Reid
May 20th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Don't give yourself ulcers over this maybe losing a couple of sales. Just do the honor system (easiest on you - least work)
Give them the feeling that you trust them and they will justify your trust (or not lol)

I guess in the final analysis, Bruce, this is how it boils down, no matter how simple or fancy I make the process. Thank you.

I'm going to use a URL shortener -- Bitly -- simply for shortening the URL. I like the idea of incorporating surnames into the link, but, frankly, I don't want the hassle. Further, my client, not me, is the one who will process orders (PayPal and paper), and I'm not sure they'll be keen to send e-mail addresses to me. Rather, I intend to send download instructions to them for one batch e-mailing.