View Full Version : Portable drive for older mini-dv cam?

Rick Miller
May 20th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Hello,
I would like to utilize my old Sony FX-1 as a second or third camera on certain shoots. That cam quality is still decent for some B Roll. The problem is the tape mechanism no longer works.

I would like to find some sort of portable drive to be able to hook up to this cams FireWire, and capture the HD footage. Not much online, one for around $700, not worth it.

Any suggestions? I know I can go the older laptop route with a firewire input, but would rather have something more portable.

Tony McGuire
May 20th, 2017, 09:26 AM
If your firewire port on the camera still works you have a few options

Datavideo DN-60
Sony HVR-MRC1 (get it with a cradle)

This connect to the camera via firewire. you could get them on ebay.

I have the Sony one and its great and use them on a FX1 and the only thing is you have to start the reccord on the uint itself

Dan Gunn
May 20th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I have a PD170 and a PD150 in the closet. They actually make a nice video. I considered an external recorder but the cost outweighs the benefit. Putting $400-$800 into older technology does not work for me.

Roger Van Duyn
May 20th, 2017, 09:43 AM
If your firewire port on the camera still works you have a few options

Datavideo DN-60
Sony HVR-MRC1 (get it with a cradle)

This connect to the camera via firewire. you could get them on ebay.

I have the Sony one and its great and use them on a FX1 and the only thing is you have to start the reccord on the uint itself

The DN-60's are good units. I used two of them for several years. However, they won't work with newer CF cards. Finding old cards is problematic.

Here's the official link for compatible cards with the DN-60: https://datavideocorporation.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2156549-dn-60-cf-card-compatibility-list

I kept one of my HDV cameras, with one DN-60, and a couple of cards when I upgraded last November. You might find someone selling a unit with cards. New DN-60s were still for sale last time I checked, with a 16 GB card included, good for 72 minutes of recording.

Hope this helps.

Tony McGuire
May 20th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Roger,

I have been using a SD card to CF adapetor with mine and have had no problem and have 64GB SD card in it and have recorded for serval hours and no problem at all.

I have forgot to say I have also got the Datavideo DN-60

Roger Van Duyn
May 23rd, 2017, 05:30 AM
I might give it a try sometime. Haven't used my old XH-A1 and DN-60 since upgrading to the (SD) card based cameras.

Does the DN-60 format the 64 gb SD card okay? Are you able to format it NTFS? That's the way I always formatted the CF cards since most of my jobs are long, continuous recordings.

Tony McGuire
May 23rd, 2017, 05:21 PM
Roger,

I will check it out as I keep the DN-60 as a spare. I do know I can record to 64gb cards no problem with the DN-60.

I will check to see if it will format the card as NTFS and post back here tomorrow

Tony McGuire
May 25th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Sorry for taking so long to check to see if the Datavideo DN-60 formats the cards in NTFS and sorry to say it does not format the cards in NTFS it in Fat32

Rick Miller
May 25th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone. Looks like the DN-60 with the approved CF Cards is the best option. Just gotta make a decision if it is worth spending the $500+ bucks.

Tony McGuire
May 28th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Rick,

Did you get a DN-60 yet I may have one for sale with 3 16gb cards with it. I am willing to post to states. If you are intrested please e-mail me