View Full Version : Help with Vegas please

John Disdle
May 27th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I have been using Vegas Pro 12 for about two years. Today, it has lost all the DVD Architect DVD presets. I have the Main Concept Mpeg-2 heading, but only a Blue Ray 1920x1080-50i, 25Mbps video stream preset.

The DVD Architect DV widescreen preset is not there, so I am unable to render the project as an mpg2 file.
I have uninstalled, and re-installed Vegas, to no avail. The PC is Win 10. Any help much appreciated, many thanks.

Christopher Young
May 27th, 2017, 09:54 AM
You can do the following to try and reset Vegas and bring everything back to a virgin install state.

WARNING!!!

Before you do this I would suggest downloading Sony's Preset Manager if you don't already have it installed.

Sony Creative Software - Download: Preset Manager (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dl/dl.aspx?dwnid=115)

Once this is installed any particular presets that you have created can now be exported via Preset Manager for re-importing later. The Vegas reset I am referring to will blow away any presets you may have created.

The fresh install reset of Vegas is achieved by holding down the CTRL-SHIFT keys while you double click on your Vegas icon to load Vegas. You will then be prompted with a "Do you want to clear the cache" or something to that effect. Answer YES and Vegas will then revert to its original install state.

Hopefully all your DVDA presets should be happy and be back in the family.

Now re-import your Presets with Preset Manager.

Any questions just post back. Good luck!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

BTW. I see this is your first DVInfo post. Welcome to one of the best and most helpful forums out there. Populated in the whole by a great bunch of enthusiastic video professional, amateurs, hobbyists and the like.
Also say Hi to the old country. I'm from Bristol originally. Did a lot of filming around Norwich back in my BBC days :))

Graham Bernard
May 27th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Chris, does Preset Manger also deal with Render Templates? I was only aware that PM dealt purely with FXs and SFXs. Hmm, I'll need to explore this.

Anyways, two points I'd like to mention:

1 - Are you sure you haven't filtered-out some of your render presets? I do this regularly!

2 - Here's where your render presets are kept, just so you know:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\File Templates

where <username> is your windows account name.

If you see it/them there then you should be good to go.

Christopher Young
May 27th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Hi ~

Graham you are right it doesn't save render presets, What I have found in the past though is that when you do a CTRL-SHIFT reset all your default render presets are restored. What I think John is after is restoring the standard DVDA MPEG-2 presets that come with a Vegas installation.

Preset Manager as you correctly pointed out will only save and restore any color correction presets or FX chains he has previously created. My biggest fear in the past has been losing these as sometimes they are the product of some laborious grading sessions.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Jorma Nippala
May 28th, 2017, 12:16 AM
Just in case you see something like this, try unchecking.

John Disdle
May 28th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Thank you very much Chris, and Graham, for the very warm welcome.

That useful tip has worked, and the DVD Architect presets are back. This is my first post, and I have found a new home, since the DV Doctor Forums are no more.

I worked for Anglia TV for sixteen years, until made redundant in 1994. They were good times, but I Am now retired. My occupation now, is gardening, and holiday videos.

Graham Bernard
May 28th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Soooo.... what gotcha outta the "woods"?

John Disdle
May 28th, 2017, 05:54 AM
Hi Graham.

Holding down CTL-SHIFT and click the icon. Something I shall try and remember, although it`s never happened before.

Graham Bernard
May 28th, 2017, 07:33 AM
The Factory Reset. You loose your Custom Layouts and you need to reset all your parameters.

John Disdle
May 28th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Hi Graham.

Agreed, but it`s worth the effort. I don`t make that many changes, and at least Vegas is working again.

Christopher Young
May 28th, 2017, 11:05 PM
The Factory Reset. You loose your Custom Layouts and you need to reset all your parameters.

True Garaham. For that reason I don't use the default layouts save location. All my layouts get saved outside of the Vegas installation. There is a location Browse option available that you can use when you go to save a layout. An old habit I have is to create various PAL layouts named as templates so I can start a new project by just opening one of the templates and start importing the footage. Because as you said a reset of Vegas fires it up to its defaults, added to which is of course NTSC which doesn't help us PAL cutters.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney