View Full Version : 4K 4:2:0 downconverted to HD 4:4:4, what's the state of this argument?

Mark Goodsell
May 29th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Somehow I must have been living in a cave and completely missed this concept until I read this article:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/can-4k-4-2-0-8-bit-become-1080p-4-4-4-10-bit-does-it-matter/

What is the current state of this argument?

Reason it matters to me is I have been trying to figure out the best resolution to shoot my upcoming project in (using Sony x70). I'd like to submit for possible TV broadcast. I'm thinking rather than shoot 1080P 4:2:2 10-bit (50 mb/sec), which would meet their minimum submission specs, I would be better off shooting 4k 4:2:0 8-bit because it would allow greater flexibility in distribution channels (in case it became a streaming product 4k might be more attractive), but still have the ability to downconvert to HD. The question is, will broadcasters buy the argument? Would they even know/care as long as the finished product looked good? I don't anticipate a lot of color grading, but obviously some will be needed.

Looking for opinions with this general concept as this isn't an area I deal with..

Thanks

Gary Huff
May 29th, 2017, 05:28 PM
I have tried it and it doesn't make any difference in the end.

Mark Goodsell
May 29th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Would you say the final product of the 4k downconvert (to HD), after mild grading is 'worse' than would have been the case of the same product shot in HD 4:2:2? What were your findings? Thanks

Gary Huff
May 29th, 2017, 09:56 PM
It's not worse because 4:2:0 can handle mild grading just fine.