View Full Version : Fuji XT2 WOW!

Simon Denny
May 30th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Hey, I have just picked up a Fuji XT2 and this was for stills, and by the way... this is possible the best stills camera I have ever used both in features and the lovely still Images I'm getting, I mean, really fantastic and takes my still photography to the next level.

I've been playing around with the video side and gota say WOW, this might force me to sell my GH5 which I love by the way.

Anyone using the Fuji XT2 for video work?

I have the kit lens 18-55mm on the Fuji XT2 which has OIS and really helps the video side of things.

How about audio, how are you guys handling this?

Cheers, Simon

Noa Put
May 31st, 2017, 02:57 AM
I think you can't really compare the XT2 to the GH5 when it comes to functionality for video, the XT2 is more geared towards photographers and video comes second, that doesn't mean you can't shoot great videos with it, you only have to deal with more workarounds. If you have time to set your camera up then sure but it doesn't seem like a great camera for like weddingvideography.

Dave Baker
May 31st, 2017, 06:54 AM
My wife has the X-E2 with X-E2s firmware and the same 18-55mm lens as you. That lens is a cracker! The camera is only 16MP, but takes a stunningly beautiful still picture.

I must say that it is not too adjustable on the video side, but the video it produces is outstanding. When the X-T2 was announced, with many more video settings, I desperately wanted one, but common sense prevailed and I resisted, because I didn't need it.

I'd but one tomorrow if I could justify it!

Simon Denny
May 31st, 2017, 11:35 AM
After really testing the XT2 on the video side I'm finding I'm loving the image and the ease of use of shooting with this, it seems more intuitive for me that the GH5 layout wise. I've only been shooting in HD and the picture quality looks great, rolling shutter is more than the GH5 however less that the Sony a6500 so no fast pans, the 18-55mm Fuji Lens with OIS is a must for handheld and without OIS the image/camera shake is bad unless on a set of sticks.

I completely bypassed the Fuji cameras for any type of video and I only went with the XT2 for my still photography and didn't even test the video side for a week, I was very surprised an interested in going further with video on the camera. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people using the camera for video, I know there's some stuff on YouTube etc... however that seems to be stills people dabbling in video not video people dabbling in photos.

Initially I was after a one kit camera stills/video and the GH5 sort of fit that description for me, video is a killer, stills I'm not liking at all.

If Fuji keep improving the video side with firmware and other camera releases watch out, this will be a deadly combo.

Cheers, S

Simon Denny
May 31st, 2017, 08:52 PM
Fuji XT2 v GH5
Here is a real rough test I shot this morning. I'm not interested in the 4k side of things for either the Fuji or GH5 at this stage, all my own work and client projects are shot in HD and go to the web with lighting fast turnarounds.

https://youtu.be/aS80BmsLtLE

Simon Denny
June 3rd, 2017, 01:51 PM
Here is another Fuji X-T2 test. I'm so impressed with the Fuji XT-2 that I'm now selling my GH5 and have sold all my Sony gear as well. For me the Fuji X-T2 is the perfect camera for stills and video and all in one body. I couldn't more happier with the Fuji X-T2 system.

https://youtu.be/lWkN8rcPmrM

Simon Denny
June 3rd, 2017, 04:47 PM
I just wanted to add that the lens is the FUJINON LENS XF18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS. Now shooting hand held you need the OIS engaged otherwise the video won't be usable to to camera shake. if your on a tripod turn the OIS off. The video above with footage from inside the car was shot one handed, so this gives me an Idea of how well the OIS works on the Fuji 18-55mm lens, not bad I reckon.

Fuji Love,
Cheers, S

Simon Denny
June 4th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Here is some more footage from my Fuji XT2.

I'm loving the Fuji.

https://youtu.be/nOOCigx1yIw

Bruce Dempsey
June 8th, 2017, 03:23 PM
So Simon is it drop dead simple to get this fantastic video from the XT2?
The reason I ask is that I have bought a sony rx100 and a a5100 for video based on the reviews but despite being a cameraman for 45 years I was never really able to get nice video like I get from my ax100 out of those two cameras.
Long time ago back in 2003 or so I had a fuji s602 and a z7000 and was really impressed with the sd video these would produce in fact I commented here at the time that I thought they were producing HD video which was just starting.
Is getting this delicious video out of a fuji xt2 a straight forward thing without endless menues of subtle things to be aware of and fine tune?
Thanks

PS that utube clip I just watched on a 27" hp 4k envy monitor and it was darn near uhd footage..

Simon Denny
June 8th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words Bruce. First off the Fuji XT-2 is a hidden gem for me and I have sold all my gear and moved over to this camera.

Getting the look you see in camera and the clips on Youtube is easy, select your picture profile and adjust two settings and that's it. This is why for me it's easy, The Sonys I never likes the images I was getting for video, recently I purchased a GH5 and that also I didn't like, the Fuji XT 2 just sits video image wise for me and don't forget the stills out of this camera are beautiful.

Setting up the camera is fairly straight forward, I'm thinking of doing some Youtube vids on how I setup my Fuji XT-2 based on my limited experience using the camera.

There are a few things to consider with the Fuji XT-2.

Batteries, one battery gets around 1hr.
Purchase the grip (yes it's expensive) you will need it.

The video side of the Fuji XT-2 I believe is still in its infancy and Fuji do firmware updates through the year, I think they listen to their customers.

Hope that helps.

Bruce Dempsey
September 25th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I've a Fujifilm X-T20 ordered with the 16-50 ois ll lens to be here in a couple of days. not quite xt2 but apparently close enough and I plan to use it alongside an ax100

Simon Denny
September 26th, 2017, 02:25 AM
Good on ya mate, my prediction in 2018 Fujifilm will be the leader in the APSC mirrorless/stills combo unit.