View Full Version : LS300 Firmware 4.0.0 has arrived!

Nick Haman
May 31st, 2017, 08:39 AM
Here it is people, enjoy:

JVC Professional Customer Support - Firmware Upgrade (http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/versionentry.jsp?modelId=62)

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 31st, 2017, 02:00 PM
Wow, Awesome!!!

OK, for all you guys that are going to upgrade the firmware this is what you need to know.

GY-LS300CHU Firmware Update Procedure:
To prepare update SD card:
1. Uncompress the downloaded firmware file.
2. Copy the entire folder PRIVATE to a blank SD CARD.
To enter update mode:
1. Attach the battery and connect DC Power supply. Both must be connected to enter update mode.
2. In power OFF condition, press and hold MODE and ZEBRA/5 buttons together.
3. Slide power switch to ON position. Keep holding down buttons until FIRMWARE UPDATE screen appears on the LCD monitor. Release buttons.
4. Follow instruction of inserting SD card in SLOT B.
5. Update automatically starts showing progress bar.
6. When finished, LCD monitor indicates FIRMWARE UPDATE COMPLETED.
7. Remove SD card. Detach battery and unplug power source.

Notes: When you get through the process to this point the camera will be off and when you turn the camera back on it will go through a Diagnose Procedure. Don't be afraid because the directions does not mention this. Keep the lens cap on and acknowledge to go through the diagnose procedure. it will take about 6 minutes. After that make sure you perform the reset as the directions says and all will be well.

8. Reconnect power source. Perform RESET ALL from Main Menu>System>Reset All>Reset.
9. Select preferred OSD language.

Al Slamecka
May 31st, 2017, 06:19 PM
I discovered the update process will not read the SD card in Slot B if you have another SD card in Slot A. My camera briefly reads Slot B and then nothing happens when Slot A is occupied.

After removing the firmware card in Slot B, I removed the card in Slot A then reinserted the firmware card in Slot B. The upgrade process continued fine from that point.

I wouldn't think this is unique to my LS-300 so hopefully helpful to those who run into the same thing.

Luke Miller
May 31st, 2017, 06:26 PM
I always save my settings to an SD card before starting the firmware upgrade process. Then I can restore them afterwards.

Aaron Jones Sr.
May 31st, 2017, 08:59 PM
Is anyone else noticing the flip screen a little more clear? I'm not sure if it is just me wanting it to be a little more clear or if it actually is. Of course I am running the cam in 4K 150Mbs 30fps 4.2.2 maybe that is it, not sure.

Stein Onshus
June 2nd, 2017, 02:22 AM
I managed after some download issues and all effort on that - it was not available in .co.uk so I used the .com link here - to download.

Thank you for the link.

(- and as a happy camper I did the upgrade - and forgot to save the settings - ahhh. Well, I probably needed to further develop it anyway.)

Nick Haman
June 2nd, 2017, 02:32 AM
For future updaters, I didn't reset the settings, but can shoot 4k 4:2:2 - I didn't reset them with the last update either.

I don't think it'll result in anything strange happening, but if someone thinks it might, let me know haha.

Luke Miller
June 2nd, 2017, 07:35 AM
I follow the firmware update instructions to the letter. I turned my PC into a large paperweight by failing to properly follow the bios firmware update instructions.It was not possible to recover from the error and I had to replace it.

Marcello Mazzilli
June 5th, 2017, 04:02 AM
Can somebody post a link to jlog 422 4k footage at 150mbit to test?
Anybody tried Atomos output at 422 10bit 60fps and can post jlog footage?
Thanks, M

Lawrence Kong
June 5th, 2017, 11:46 PM
JVC LS300 4K 4:2:2 J-Log 1 from youtube

https://youtu.be/8s6DEp8Escc

https://youtu.be/Cb5_ZGn8pEU

John Vincent
June 5th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Is there a comprehensive list that has all the current things this gizmo can do (assuming the latest firmware has been uploaded to the camera)?

I'm basically deciding between the LS300 and the GH5. The image stabilization in the GH5 sure is attractive (something I know the LS300 doesn't have). Of course, there's lots of stuff the LS has that the GH5 doesn't.

Just kinda look at the two cameras stats....

PS - thanks for the info on how to upgrade the firmware.

Marcello Mazzilli
June 6th, 2017, 12:16 AM
Thanks but I mean some footage straight out of the camera to download and work with. Youtube is compressed

Luke Miller
June 6th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Is there a comprehensive list that has all the current things this gizmo can do (assuming the latest firmware has been uploaded to the camera)?

Not that I know of. Each firmware update has its own PDF with the changes and their related settings. I have not seen an updated user manual that incorporates all of the changes.

Lawrence Kong
June 6th, 2017, 09:52 AM
try this, 1G file for 1:18

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-B4cc1GyRs9MG9PQ2U1MDJOMFU

Earl Thurston
June 15th, 2017, 05:15 PM
JVC LS300 4K 4:2:2 J-Log 1 from youtube
Hey, that's Deer Lake Park in Burnaby -- right across the street from my work! (Same park I test my URSA Mini 4K)

Alex Humphrey
June 18th, 2017, 01:57 PM
A couple experiments with 4K 422 last night with a single RotoLight. I'll duplicate the setup up tonight with C4K 420 and see if the red circle around the Rotolight looks any different zoomed in or there are any color correction advantages other than green screen.

So these where with the JVC LS300 24p 4K 422 J-Log, ISO 400 with Rokinon 24mm DS T-1.5 at T4. Rotolight has the skin tone enhancing filter and diffuser in the filter holder.

BW image is same footage having applied the JVC cube LUT to the footage then draining the color in FCP-X with the Colore Finale plug in.

If I had thought about it I would have changed to 420 from 422 to see any difference in the red Rotolight.

The JPG's below are significantly inferior to the footage in FCPX zoomed in. I'll do some serious tests later and upload PNG or Tiff or something that has little or no visual compression artifacts.

Steve Rosen
July 9th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Alex... I'm curious, how would you switch from 422 to 420? I did the upgrade and don't see any option to chose as there is in the HD setting - not that I'd want 420, but I'd like to confirm that I'm in 422 before I use this.

Nick Haman
July 9th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Hey Steve,
The option is under 'Bit Rate' and if you've got it selected, it's hard to miss :)

Steve Rosen
July 11th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Nick: I finally figured that out - for some reason the bit rate drop down box was greyed out the first time I tried, but after rebooting the camera a second time it appeared - and, yes, 422 was not selected by default, so it's a good thing I didn't assume it would be.

Russ Gutshall
July 18th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Greetings -- with this 4.0 firmware upgrade -- are folks saying this upgrade NOW ALLOWS full 4K (4096 x 2160) recording -- or are we still talking (3840 x 2160) ?? Clarification please ? Thanks --

Nick Haman
July 18th, 2017, 09:14 AM
The camera could always do 4096x2160 - It's under C4K in the menu (Cinema 4K).

Unfortunately, shooting at that size you're still at 4:2:0 colour space. you're also on 24p or 23.98p. Then again, you'd likely only use that resolution for the cinematic feel, so 24p is fine.

This 4.0 update adds 4:2:2 to regular 4K (3840x2169) and also 50p or 60p to external recorders.

Marcello Mazzilli
July 18th, 2017, 09:25 AM
SO what about the quality with an external recorder?
Does it keep up to... Sony Fs7?

Nick Haman
July 18th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I don't know, I don't have an external recorder, but they've done some kind of a deal with Atomos. I'm sure google has your answers :D

JVC News Release -- New firmware for GY-LS300 adds 4K 4:2:2 recording and 60p output (http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2017/nab/gyls300_inferno.html)

My guess, having never used an external recorder, is that you'll end up with a ProRes file in whatever flavour you chose to record at. There's a setting on the camera called 4K EXT - which I assume tells it to output 50p or 60p UHD through the HDMI. Again though, I can't test, but if you want to buy me a monitor, I'll get back to you asap.

Marcello Mazzilli
July 18th, 2017, 10:00 AM
ahahhaha... I'll wait
Not much on Google anyway

Sure.. codec is not the issue here... still ... I wonder what is tha real transfer rate from the camera to the atoms, thus the compression.... Is 4.2.2. 8bit also and not 10bit