View Full Version : UWOL 43 - Tales of wonders and woes

Trond Saetre
June 3rd, 2017, 12:05 PM
What goes great, what goes wrong, and everything in between about your UWOL43 productions.
Here is the place to discuss it all.

Good luck, everyone! Remember to follow the important rule 11, have FUN! :)

Paul Mailath
June 3rd, 2017, 11:35 PM
I have the theme stuck to the shelf above my desk to prompt me - I'm going to start from a voice over this time and once I've got that squared away I'll get the footage to suit.

Trond Saetre
June 4th, 2017, 01:39 AM
Some begin with the footage, some with the music... and you with the VO. Interesting choice!

Kevin Railsback
June 4th, 2017, 05:42 AM
I've been listening to music tracks to find th tone of the film.
Pretty much always do that before I even pick up a camera.

Been toying with the idea of remaking my UWOL 3 film as a personal challenge to see what I would do now with the same idea a decade later.

Bryce Comer
June 4th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I've been super busy with work of late, and with issues in my personal life too i haven't been able to do much in the way of filming anything. That will hopefully all change this round as i head off on a bit of a road trip i am taking my parents on, beginning today. We head north to the Yukon border. Me thinks there may be a bit of "The Wild" to film along the way!!

Victor Wilcox
June 4th, 2017, 03:31 PM
My DJI Phantom 4 Pro is still in for repairs. They've replaced the camera power and main boards. I'm hoping I get it back by the end of the week.

Vishal Jadhav
June 7th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Looks like i am the odd one out who doesnt script anything music is last for me, and starts with what i may see.

Did wander around and found a few things but they may support the video and not be the core theme of it.

Still looking --->

Trond Saetre
June 8th, 2017, 01:29 AM
I'll join being odd, Vishal. Can't say I script much either, but often have a good idea of what I want before I go out to film. (And sometimes I just film whatever might show up)
Music is always last for me too.

Trond Saetre
June 10th, 2017, 10:44 AM
How is everyone doing?
Found your super cool, wild ideas yet?

I have filmed a little for my unofficial entry. Time will tell if the footage is useful.

Vishal Jadhav
June 13th, 2017, 12:36 AM
The monsoon has got delayed here a bit, so no shooting done yet .
Waiting for it

Bryce Comer
June 13th, 2017, 09:45 PM
I am a week into a trip of around 4500klms to the Yukon border and back. Definitely seen some "wild" along the way. Now it's time to start thinking of how to tell a story with what I've shot.

Paul Wood
June 14th, 2017, 01:04 AM
Way to go, Bryce!
I'm still swirling around some ideas, but must admit to suffering from my " don't worry there's lots of time" syndrome!

Victor Wilcox
June 14th, 2017, 03:32 PM
I received my Phantom 4 Pro yesterday with all repairs done. I updated all the firmware and did a test flight. All is ready for the not so wild.

Trond Saetre
June 14th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Bryce, sounds like a great adventure for you. Have fun!

Victor, good to hear you got the phantom back.

Bob Safay
June 16th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Tomorrow I start off on a 10-12 day trip across the southern US, from Atlanta, GA, to Monument Valley, AZ. Hope to video some Wild!!

Trond Saetre
June 17th, 2017, 12:40 AM
That's a wild trip, Bob!
Have fun and a nice journey.

Bryce Comer
June 17th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Well i'm home safe & sound. The weather was a bit wild, some of my cooking was a bit wild too!! :)
One thing i did see that was really very cool, & of course pretty wild, was to get a shot of a couple of young grizzly bears walking down the side of the road with a lovely mountain in the background. These guys were heading down my way, when along came a couple of older black bear cubs between myself & the 2 young grizz. That was pretty wild,.. But then along came the mother of the two black bear cubs!! All five bears in the shot at the same time!! Well until a vehicle came along & scared them all off :(
Northern British Columbia is certainly wild that's for sure. Hope i can do it justice!!
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with this round, it should be a cracker!!

Trond Saetre
June 22nd, 2017, 01:17 PM
Must have been very exciting to see the bears so close. Looking forward to see what you have filmed.

Everyone:
Remember the option to upload a temporary "work in progress" film later this month.
See the theme release thread for the details.

Trond Saetre
June 25th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Only a couple days until you have the option to upload your "work in progress".
Available June 28 until July 10.
Upload details to be requested from uwol @dvinfo.net

Bob Safay
June 28th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Well I am back! I covered 4,386 miles and drove through ten States (no bears, good for you Bryce). Anyway, I started this trip with a definite story in mind and started to shoot my shot list for my video. However, during the last few days of my trip I decided to go with a completely different idea. I will try to post a short "work in progress" this week. Bob

Bryce Comer
June 28th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Sounds great Bob, I can't wait to hear what you came up with, & how it differed from your original idea.

Bob Safay
June 28th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Bryce, all I can say is that it is 180 degrees from my original plan.

Mark Hartopp
July 2nd, 2017, 02:00 PM
And yet again life throws me a few challenges and tests. Hmmm, Got nothing to upload. Sorry guys and girls. Will start from scratch tomorrow.

Andrew Hood
July 2nd, 2017, 09:35 PM
I've been a bit sidetracked with other projects, including a rushed MyRodeReel entry. Kind of reflects my UWOL efforts in many ways. It's even harder with only 3 minutes to play with.
I have some vague ideas... there is one I alluded to doing as a followup to an earlier UWOL film, in the voiceover itself. Just dicing up if it will work. Maybe I should just try it, and see if I come up with something better in the meantime, Still waiting on usable snow, so I don't know if I can use that this round.

Kevin Railsback
July 4th, 2017, 01:20 PM
I'm down in the tallgrass prairies of Oklahoma this week looking for an idea.
Think I may have finally fond one of I can flesh out a sentence into something thats a few minutes long.

Magical place down here. 39,000 acres of native tallgrass prairie. The biggest native tallgrass prairie in North America and possibly the world.

Bob Safay
July 5th, 2017, 04:30 AM
Well Kevin, looks like we just missed each other. I was there on my 11 day trip. Fantastic place to video wildlife. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Bob

Kevin Railsback
July 5th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Would have been awesome to have a UWOL meet up Bob! :)

Really surprised at all the wounds on the bison. I've never seen that many on the bison in Yellowstone.

I sat at watched the bison for a while this morning and they really go after each other. Lots of injuries!

Kevin Railsback
July 6th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Tomorrow is my last day in Oklahoma. Such an amazing place! I think it helped gel an idea but I still need to figure out how to put it together.

When I get home I'll write up my idea and see if you think it will fly
Gotta grab a cookie hours of sleep then head back out. It's starting to warm up and coupled with the humidity it really zaps your strength

Bob Safay
July 8th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Kevin, this was my fourth time through the Tall Grass Prairie and it still fascinates me. The bison that I saw looked pretty healthy to me. This time I stopped off there on my way to Monument Valley. I have also been working on a theme and will post my idea later. Bob

Bob Safay
July 8th, 2017, 02:26 PM
My video will attempt to show how our country morphed from a wild open lands and rivers to domesticated civilization. Such as going from wild tall grass prairie to cultivated fields, from herds of wild free roaming bison to domesticated cattle.
Once We Were Wild on Vimeo

Trond Saetre
July 9th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Interesting concept you describe, Bob! Haven't seen your video yet. Have limited access at the moment, but I will have a look when I can.

How is everyone doing? Found your ideas and you are out filming and having a good fun time, I hope?

Vishal Jadhav
July 10th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Guess i am going to land in the Shark Tank this time, can i land there earlier so that i can film Sharks and still complete the challenge .
Been off to Africa and now editing the stuff i shot there as deliverables .

lets see its some time left and miracles may happen.

Trond Saetre
July 10th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Last chance to upload a temporary work-in-progress film today, if you want to take advantage of receiving feedback, tips and ideas for your wild projects.

Trond Saetre
July 23rd, 2017, 02:08 PM
It's quiet around here. Does that mean everyone is busy filming and editing their wild films? :)

I think my film just turned into a zombie film. I have half an hour footage of lamas. Not one of them bothered to even move a muscle...

Andrew Hood
July 24th, 2017, 02:54 AM
I've been busy doing lots of not filming. I did venture out today and got a few photos and a short clip of my potential subject - but shaky handheld doesn't do it justice. Need the tripod and longer lens. Will try later in the week to get some footage, and sound will be really important for this one. I also have an alternate idea, but time is running out, and not sure if I can make that happen. Hopefully have some usable footage by the end of the week, so I can edit something together.

Andrew Hood
July 29th, 2017, 12:58 AM
Well I did get footage. Not perfect, but some better than expected for just a couple of trips - time of year helps and knowing the right location to target. The difficult part is getting close enough to get a good view/shot without scaring the subject away.
Now I need to figure out the narrative, background music (if any) and really bring out the sounds from my little sojourn.

Trond Saetre
July 29th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Tick tock, tick tock, deadline is coming up in two days.
Remember to request the upload details from uwol@dvinfo.net.

First submission is already uploaded. Hope to see many more.

Have fun! :)

Kevin Railsback
July 30th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Got my entry uploaded.
Reverting back to my early UWOL style. Wish I could have done something more but haven't shot anything since I've been back from Oklahoma.
Glad I avoided the Shark Tank though!

Bob Safay
July 31st, 2017, 04:19 AM
Got mine uploaded. I changed my mind three times before finally settling on this idea. Kevin, sorry I missed you at the tall grass prairie. Bob

Trond Saetre
August 1st, 2017, 05:08 AM
The submitted films will be published within the next couple hours.