View Full Version : Vegas 14 and Davinci Resolve

Don Meers
June 4th, 2017, 06:09 AM
Hey guys. Can anyone recommend and intermediate render recipe from Resolve into Vegas14?
Cheers

Christopher Young
June 4th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Do you mean what codec to use? I would then suggest Cineform.

To get the Cineform codec into Vegas and Resolve install a free version of GoPro Studio. The one that seems to work the best is v2.5.7.549.

Download GoPro CineForm Studio 2.5.7 Build 549 (http://download.canadiancontent.net/GoPro_CineForm_Studio.html)

Beware of previous versions with Vegas as on some systems if GoPro Studio was uninstalled it removed some .dlls from SysWOW64 and System 32. This stopped Vegas from booting up. You would see the following error. "Error at loading if ippSP library - No DLLS were found in the Waterfall procedure."

Later versions of GoPro Studio seem work okay but are much more bloated on the install.

Any questions post back.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Leslie Wand
June 4th, 2017, 07:41 AM
i've been using xavc-i with good results.

Don Meers
June 4th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys. I took your advice Christopher, and installed GoPro Studio to get the Cineform codecs. Works great although I forgot how big Cineform files can get. I will also have a look at the xavc-i renders as well, Leslie.
How are you guys finding working with Resolve, from a Vegas users viewpoint?

Rainer Listing
June 4th, 2017, 05:31 PM
My system ( i7, 8GB graphics) free version Resolve 14 4K playback is choppy, smooth in Vegas. No way yet to record microphone direct into Resolve. Resolve tracking is much better. Resolve rendering much faster. Did you know if you hold shift option and drag in Resolve transitions work just like in Vegas? Probably most people familiar with Vegas won't switch to all Resolve (yet), can't see new starters with Resolve switching to Vegas, definitely be going to all Resolve if I still used Premiere.

Leslie Wand
June 4th, 2017, 06:03 PM
taking longer than i'd like to learn, but well worth it. i've pretty much given up with vegas...

Don Meers
June 4th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Leslie,
I started the Moviola courses. $5 a month. Only been doing them for 2 weeks but they really demystified Resolve for me. I can see Resolve being a real up comer for Vegas users. Resolve 14 is still in beta... and it shows, but it has a tonne of potential. For smaller jobs I have been editing in Vegas but making sure I only have one vision track and one audio track on the entire timeline and no effects or fades etc. By doing this it allows an easy XML export from Vegas into Resolve for a grade and polish.

Leslie Wand
June 4th, 2017, 08:10 PM
i've been using goats eye on youtube, and a number of other ones there:

DaVinci Resolve 12 - 01 Users and Logging In - YouTube

DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Tutorial Round Up | Jonny Elwyn - Film Editor (http://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-video-editing-tools-for-editors/davinci-resolve-12-5-tutorial-round-up/)

DaVinci Resolve 12 Basics - End to End Crash Course! - YouTube

How to pull a Green Screen in Davinci Resolve - Free Editing Software - YouTube

How To Track Tricky Things in Resolve 12 - YouTube

of course there are heaps of others, and generally done by 'knowledgeable' people (as opposed to the numerous awful ones i had to work through with vegas ;-()

i think my main problem is age, at almost 70 i'm beginning to think i'm too old to keep learning new software, but as long as it keeps earning me an income what the hell!

Christopher Young
June 4th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Stop now Leslie, enough. I'm older than you and if I'm capable of learning new software and cameras etc, etc so are you. So don't let the side down now.

Just been over to Europe shooting on a doco for the government, ep 6 of 8, and now cutting in Resolve and Vegas at 32-bit video levels and enjoying every bit of the work and learning Resolve.

Keep on keeping on mate!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Christopher Young
June 5th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Works great although I forgot how big Cineform files can get. I will also have a look at the xavc-i renders as well, Leslie.

I don't know what codec you are starting with but if the files will open in Vegas you can do a batch convert to Cineform using a modified 'Regions to Events' script which will keep the original clip names/numbers.

Creating your Cineform files this way will give you the ability to choose the Cineform 'level; which will have an impact on your file sizes. Forget about the Film Scan settings. For most jobs I find the 'Medium' 422 setting more than adequate. For many jobs the 'Low' 422 setting is fine. Especially if your original footage is 420 8-bit.

These files will of course now work in both Resolve and Vegas.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Leslie Wand
June 5th, 2017, 02:01 AM
Stop now Leslie, enough. I'm older than you and if I'm capable of learning new software and cameras etc, etc so are you. So don't let the side down now.
Keep on keeping on mate!

oh i am, i am, but sometimes i just think it would be so nice to just NOT think about video / software anymore ;-)

that said, am doing more writing and stills recently, the former isn't a problem (well other than grammar, etc.,), but the latter is as fraught with technological pitfalls as video, and inhabited by any number of pixel peepers who seem to think the beauty of a picture is in blowing it 400% and not finding a pixel out of place ;-)

what's the series?

take care if you're going over there again...

Christopher Young
June 6th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Know where you are coming from buddy.

The series is "The History of the Royal Australian Navy" x 8 episodes. The RAN is 100 years old hence the series. Probably going on the ABC and History Channel. That decision is not up to me though. We are just the producers.

With 3000 + hours of archive material, 95% of which has to be key framed, ARC'd to 16:9, graded and Neat Video de-noised to try and make it all look as similar as possible has made it major job. Good fun though!

If interested a small 640 x 360 clip can be downloaded here. Up until this Ep #6 the whole thing had been done in various versions of Sony Vegas for video, 3ds Max for the 3D anims, Photoshop, Lightroom and Topaz for the stills. All Rostrum moves done in Vegas.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/fuqydz

All best.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Leslie Wand
June 6th, 2017, 10:07 PM
very impressive chris, extremely well done and well put together. you should be justifiably proud.

if i have any criticism at all, it's that the vo doesn't quite modulate enough to build up the tension - but that's a very minor point - he's clear and well pronounced, something lacking nowadays.

again, very well done1

Christopher Young
June 7th, 2017, 12:53 AM
Thanks squire but it 'aint just me. Three of us working full time on it plus another 3-5 people involved on research, film to digital transfers, 3D graphics, stills retouching, audio layups, etc, etc.. I've been the DP on the series and the on-line editor. All good fun.

The VO is John Waters who as you would most likely recall is one of Australia;s ever green actors. That's the voice the Navy picked. They wanted someone with a bit of that rather reserved voice. It works they love him.

John Waters - Biography - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914113/bio)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Leslie Wand
June 7th, 2017, 01:18 AM
I worked with john many years ago, vo for pharma iirc, good bloke. yes, a bit of good old stiff upper lip and all that jazz.

well, you and your team have done an exceptional job judging by the clip you posted. i shall look forward to watching the series.

all the usual

Christopher Young
June 8th, 2017, 12:28 AM
Thanks Mr. L :))