View Full Version : C100 mk3 and the 6D mk2

Dan Burnap
June 10th, 2017, 05:20 AM
I am wondering what Canon have in mind for event shooters who want to go to 4k.

Like a lot of people I was expecting the C200 announcement to be a 4k C100 mk3, not a new type of camera with a new position in the line up.

I use three C100 mk1s in my wedding film business and am now wondering where I go next when the 4k move will eventually need to happen. Many people people have moved to the Sony eco system. I would prefer to stick with Canon because my lenses are all Canon plus the C100 are not compromised with things like overheating and battery life like the A7sii route seems to be.

To me it seems the possible next step with Canon would be a C100 mk3. Failing that, going back to the DSLR form factor (not ideal for me) would be a 4k 6Dmk2 as long as it wasn't a 5Dmk4 type implementation of 4k.

Surely Canon must have something lined up for us event shooters?

Steven Digges
June 10th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Former Canon fan boy. Dumped them 5 years ago. Very happy using all of my Canon glass on E mount Sony video cams via Metabones. You don't have to give up you investment in glass, it can live on for many years....

Steve

Gary Huff
June 10th, 2017, 05:09 PM
To me it seems the possible next step with Canon would be a C100 mk3.

The C100 series is done. There will be no Mark III.

Steve Burkett
June 11th, 2017, 02:09 PM
I am wondering what Canon have in mind for event shooters who want to go to 4k.

Surely Canon must have something lined up for us event shooters?

Canon have literally dismissed the Event shooters wanting 4K by virtue of their own need to protect cameras like the C300. Even the C200 suffers from this. If the 6D does have 4K, it will doubtless be a similar implementation to the 5D Mark IV. They would hardly make it better or else undermine a higher priced model.

I think the C200 is perhaps your only answer if you'd prefer to stick with Canon with 4K and use your various interchangeable lenses, but it is a costly choice compared to the C100. Many Canon users I know have switched to Sony, such as the FS5 paired with one of the DSLR types or coughed up extra money and gone for the C300. They have not looked back and if you're serious about 4K, you'd be wise to do the same. The Canon equivalent of the GH5 is a long way off, if ever....

Dan Burnap
June 12th, 2017, 08:32 AM
I just don't understand how Canon could simply abandon a market so popular as the C100. If they just added 4k 100mbs to the mk1 and nothing else, I'd be (reasonably) happy.

Gary Huff
June 12th, 2017, 09:34 AM
I just don't understand how Canon could simply abandon a market so popular as the C100. If they just added 4k 100mbs to the mk1 and nothing else, I'd be (reasonably) happy.

They didn't abandon it. They made the C200.

Dan Burnap
June 12th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Sure, but they made it for a completely different type of shooter. Now the event shooter is left with the 5Dmk4 if they want to go 4k?

I thought Canon made the C100 specifically for event shooters who wanted more funcionality and ergonomics than a DSLR.. Now they make drop that market cold? Oh well, hello Sony.

Gary Huff
June 12th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Sure, but they made it for a completely different type of shooter. Now the event shooter is left with the 5Dmk4 if they want to go 4k?

What do you think they made it for a completely different type of shooter? The C200 easily shoots 4K, and in a much smaller codec than the 5D Mark IV.

Dan Burnap
June 13th, 2017, 04:03 AM
As a wedding shooter I use 3 C100 mk1s. The C200 is double the price of a C100 when it first was released. For anyone who does multi-cam shoots, that's expensive. Secondly, an event shooter usually has a large amount of footage at the end of the day. So the raw aspect isnt of any practical use as there would be too much data to handle.

A C100 with the new touchscreen autofocus and a 100mb 4k implementation would have been fine for me. I will seriously look at the Fs5 and A7sii.

Gary Huff
June 13th, 2017, 10:46 AM
As a wedding shooter I use 3 C100 mk1s. The C200 is double the price of a C100 when it first was released.

I don't know where you get that idea. The C200 is $7500 at B&H at the moment. The C100 I debuted at $4999. I don't know why you think $7500 is twice the cost of $4999, but it's not.

Secondly, an event shooter usually has a large amount of footage at the end of the day. So the raw aspect isnt of any practical use as there would be too much data to handle.

Where do you get the idea you can only shoot raw? There are other codec choices available.

A C100 with the new touchscreen autofocus and a 100mb 4k implementation would have been fine for me.

The 150Mbps 4K implementation on the C200 is too much for you?

Dan Burnap
June 13th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I'm sure i paid 4000 GBP for my C100 when it was new (I could be mistaken though) The C200 is listed fort 7700 GBP.

Sure,150MB 4k is great but i dont want to pay for a feature (raw) i wouldnt use.

Steve Burkett
June 13th, 2017, 06:15 PM
I was under the impression that the 150mbps was for 4K at 50p/60p, whilst recording 4K at 25p/30p was at 100mbps. So quoting 100mbps for the C200 would therefore be technically correct. It's hard to find much details in the featured specs list to confirm this. Only one website has broken this down, so feel free to correct me if wrong.

My thoughts is that the mp4 bit rate was identical to the GH5. It's good for event filming, but very limited if any grading is required. Whilst I'd be happy to pay say £4500 for a Professional Cinema Camera with such a limited codec, I'd be less likely or be happy to pay £7500 for one and the inclusion of RAW, a lame duck for event filming would hardly be a sweetener.

Sure they'd be some C100 owners who'd be happy to jump to the C200, but alas it's not the solution for every owner. The higher price can only be swallowed if RAW shooting is a feature you'd benefit from with paid work rather than vanity projects.

Gary Huff
June 13th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Sure,150MB 4k is great but i dont want to pay for a feature (raw) i wouldnt use.

Welcome to the real world.

Nigel Barker
June 14th, 2017, 01:34 AM
By all accounts Canon aims for their RAW Light format to be as simple to use as any other CODEC & you will be able to directly edit it in Resolve, Avid, Premier Pro & FCP. Simply adjusting WB after the event plus 14-15 stops of dynamic range would be of great use for the event shooter. Admittedly the price of CFast cards is high at present but RAW looks like the future.

Steve Burkett
June 14th, 2017, 02:52 AM
By all accounts Canon aims for their RAW Light format to be as simple to use as any other CODEC & you will be able to directly edit it in Resolve, Avid, Premier Pro & FCP. Simply adjusting WB after the event plus 14-15 stops of dynamic range would be of great use for the event shooter. Admittedly the price of CFast cards is high at present but RAW looks like the future.

The far future, where CFast Cards are 2TB in size, so I'm not changing cards every 15 to 30 mins. Filming a 1 hour Wedding Ceremony with 3-4 cameras and it'll take a lot of storage and computer horsepower to edit that amount of RAW footage.

It's an ideal, but RAW really is over the top for many Event shooting. Promos, music videos, films and TV shows maybe. Your basic event filming has different needs.

Right now with an external recorder, I could get 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes files with vlog for my Weddings. If I don't feel I need that for my work, why do you think I'd need RAW anytime soon.

Noa Put
June 14th, 2017, 04:12 AM
As a wedding shooter I use 3 C100 mk1s. The C200 is double the price of a C100 when it first was released. For anyone who does multi-cam shoots, that's expensive. Secondly, an event shooter usually has a large amount of footage at the end of the day. So the raw aspect isnt of any practical use as there would be too much data to handle.

A C100 with the new touchscreen autofocus and a 100mb 4k implementation would have been fine for me. I will seriously look at the Fs5 and A7sii.

The c200 is overkill for weddingshooters especially when you need 3 of them, here the c200 is almost double the price (over 9000euro) of the c100 when it first came out, the fs7 mark I is currently cheaper and the fs5 can be had for 6000euro.

Gary Huff
June 14th, 2017, 05:25 AM
I need that for my work, why do you think I'd need RAW anytime soon.

It's not for what you describe, it's for those special moments you feel that you want to make look extra special. That's what the raw option is for.

Why do you need 4K could also be easily asked. You're making it work in 1080 now, the C100 I and II are much cheaper, 4K will quadruple your storage requirements and at least double your rendering time. If you're so concerned about the extra cost of the C200, are you even ready to work in 4K?

Gary Huff
June 14th, 2017, 05:31 AM
The c200 is overkill for weddingshooters especially when you need 3 of them, here the c200 is almost double the price (over 9000euro)

CVP is showing it for 8,151 euro. It was at least 5299 euro when the C100 debuted.

Steve Burkett
June 14th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Thing is, there is a demand for 4K from some clients. However none are asking for RAW. I get that there are some moments where RAW would be nice. It's a nice little feature, but still overkill for 99% of event shooting needs. A robust 10 bit 4:2:2 code is just as ideal for those special moments and whilst I get others interest in RAW, it's not a feature I'm crying out for. I'm still working my way into 10 bit 4:2:2.

I must admit being torn between the C200, the EVA1 and the Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro for my big purchase next year. Each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Noa Put
June 14th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Raw is not a delivery format for weddingclients, it's something you can use in your own advantage if you really need the dynamic range or if you do extensive colorgrading, for the c200's new price of over 9000euro I could get a jvc ls300 with a speedbooster and a complete set of prime lenses and a gh5.

If you charge a very high price for weddings I can understand if you want a c200 but otherwise it's a waste of money.