View Full Version : 550D with 5 inch monitor problem.

Bill Cowell
June 15th, 2017, 04:40 AM
Hi. I have been trying to test run a little Viltrox DC-50 monitor on a Canon 550 D, prior to buying a GH5 next week. Just wanted to make sure it actually worked before hooking it up to the new camera when I get it.

I plug the HDMI cable into the monitor, switch it on, and then plug the other end into the camera. But then the camera will not switch on. I've got Live View enabled, but nothing happens.

If I turn the camera on first, then plug the HDMI cable in, the camera instantly switches off by itself! And when I take the cable out, the camera still won't turn on. I have to remove and reinstall the battery, to get it to switch on.

Can anyone suggest what's going wrong here?

Thanks.

Noa Put
June 15th, 2017, 04:45 AM
Not sure what your problem was but just wanted to let you know that the gh5 has a full size HMDI output so make sure you have a cable with 2 full size connectors on both ends.

Bill Cowell
June 15th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Yep, thanks. I've checked out the GH5 pretty thoroughly. I already have the correct cable. A couple of them, in fact.

Donald McPherson
June 15th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I did also have problems with my 550d and a cheap Chinese monitor. I did finally get it working years ago.

https://youtu.be/EEkz9Idjldw

Bill Cowell
June 16th, 2017, 04:19 AM
I decided to take it back for a refund, Donald. Might look at an upmarket one later on, after I get the GH5.