View Full Version : Upgrading to Win 10 PPRO CC & Dual Boot SYS

Harry Lender
June 17th, 2017, 07:54 AM
I'm am seriously considering upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 and upgrading from PPRO CS6 to CC.
After researching as much as I can and realizing that Win 7 is on the way out in the very near future. Also that PPRO CC offers allot in the software that can improve video editing I'm throwing this out there to get as many ideas and opinions from everyone that I can before making the move.
I've heard allot about the advantages, Pro's and Con's, of making my system Dual Booting. Partitioning my Hard Drives, Etc. I'm pretty much a novice at all this and I'm working with a computer tech who built my original Computer which performed great. Now it's time to move on. Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to everyone in advance.
Harry

Luke Miller
June 17th, 2017, 11:11 AM
I think Dual Boot can very useful in some circumstances. For example I had a dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7 setup that let me continue to use my legacy film scanners that were not supported in Windows 7 or 10. I'm unsure of the benefit of a dual boot Windows 7 - Windows 10 setup.

Harry Lender
June 17th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Luke:
Thanks so much. You posted on my previous Thread I do appreciate your information. I'm leaning in that direction.
Best
Harry

Ann Bens
June 17th, 2017, 03:37 PM
I have W10 running on an old i7/940 machine. Rock solid.
Running CS6, 2015 and 2017 (and 4K footage)

Al Bergstein
June 17th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Harry, it is probably a good time to migrate to Windows 10. The majority of the early bugs have been worked out. Yes, you can dual boot the machine, I used to do this routinely. You didn't mention if it was a laptop or desktop. If a desktop, you could just put a new hard disk in the machine along with your old one, and load Windows 10 and your new software. Remember, by dual booting you will have to buy (or reload) all your software. Depending on your hardware BIOS there are a couple of ways to do it. I simply booted into BIOS, chose the drive to boot off of and let the machine boot to the correct drive I wanted.

I am not a fan of partitioning, but lots of folks do it. Drives are so cheap these days it's seems not worth doing. You will have to reformat the whole drive anyway, and if the drive dies, you lose both your instances of Windows.

Probably the best idea is to get an SSD and load the OS and some of your apps on it, then load data on all other drives. Don't forget that your older version of Windows you have will still need to be upgraded over time, for security fixes, etc. And the software on it.

Good luck

Alan Craven
June 18th, 2017, 12:33 AM
I have W10 running on a 7 year old laptop, and a new Intel 6900K system with no problems.

I use Premiere, Encore, Audition, After Effects and Photoshop CS6 on both machines. The ancient laptop is desperately slow, but neither system ever crashes, and editing with CS6 on the new fast machine is a delight.

I value stability way above bells and whistles, so CC is not for me.

If you are happy with CS6, I would go for windows 10 and stick to CS6.

Harry Lender
June 18th, 2017, 07:50 AM
I have W10 running on an old i7/940 machine. Rock solid.
Running CS6, 2015 and 2017 (and 4K footage)

Hi Ann
Thanks for that Info. Definitely going to Win 10 but still a question on going to CC. Might stay with CS6. Gotta weigh it back and forth between the two.
Anyway Thanks so much for your info.
Harry.

Harry Lender
June 18th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Harry, it is probably a good time to migrate to Windows 10. The majority of the early bugs have been worked out. Yes, you can dual boot the machine, I used to do this routinely. You didn't mention if it was a laptop or desktop. If a desktop, you could just put a new hard disk in the machine along with your old one, and load Windows 10 and your new software. Remember, by dual booting you will have to buy (or reload) all your software. Depending on your hardware BIOS there are a couple of ways to do it. I simply booted into BIOS, chose the drive to boot off of and let the machine boot to the correct drive I wanted.

I am not a fan of partitioning, but lots of folks do it. Drives are so cheap these days it's seems not worth doing. You will have to reformat the whole drive anyway, and if the drive dies, you lose both your instances of Windows.

Probably the best idea is to get an SSD and load the OS and some of your apps on it, then load data on all other drives. Don't forget that your older version of Windows you have will still need to be upgraded over time, for security fixes, etc. And the software on it.

Good luck

Al;
Thanks for your info. Definitely gives me a lot to think about. I appreciate DVinfo more and more.
I still have some time. Probably in July is when I'll make the move.
Again Thank you. Much appreciated.
Harry

Harry Lender
June 18th, 2017, 07:57 AM
BTW. I forgot to mention that my Computer is a PC.

Gary Huff
June 18th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I value stability way above bells and whistles, so CC is not for me.

If you don't run CC on either of your two machines, then how do you know you're giving up stability with it?

Harry Lender
June 18th, 2017, 05:11 PM
When I get ready what is the best way to Uninstall PPRO CS6 and save all my old project files?
I'm still thinking about Reinstalling CS6 or going to CC. Still haven't made a decision.
Thanks in advance.

Ann Bens
June 18th, 2017, 05:57 PM
I just did the upgrade to W10 (not the full install)
Never had to reinstall anything of the Adobe programs.

Al Bergstein
June 18th, 2017, 07:50 PM
to Ann: Yes, my update of the roughly 10 Dell laptops and one Dell desktop only encountered one machine with problems. I did upgrade the RAM on all the machines, and recommend as much as a persons machine might take, I've found that 32 GBs of RAM for Pr and add ons is a good starting point. 16 is too small for many except those working in single camera. Microsoft has done a great job on the upgrade. What you need to do before upgrading, is check the machine's BIOS and make sure you have installed the most current update if there is one. I also update the video drivers prior to the upgrade as well. The manufacturer's web site will list the updates available for the specific model of machine. By doing that you limit your exposure to Blue Screens of Death, which are almost always hardware related.

Al Bergstein
June 18th, 2017, 07:54 PM
When I get ready what is the best way to Uninstall PPRO CS6 and save all my old project files?
I'm still thinking about Reinstalling CS6 or going to CC. Still haven't made a decision.

Harry, if you are actually going to upgrade to Windows 10, then you don't need to uninstall anything, as Ann says. If you setup a second drive you can keep running CS6 on the original drive it's on, and load CC onto the new drive. When you do, please make sure that on updates you look for the option to leave the older version in place. The default is to eliminate it and upgrade. There is a check box if I remember right to allow you to do a side by side installation, rather than what's called an "over the top" installation.

Since you say you are a newbie, why not post your machines specs for us to think about. We might have a reasonable suggestion based on that. How much RAM are you running, what video card, etc.

Luke Miller
June 19th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Thanks in advance.

If you use Encore don't uninstall it since CS6 was the last version and it is not part of Premiere Pro CC. For a long time I kept both CS6 and CC installed because I had a MainConcept plugin in CS6 that was not compatible with CC. Both programs resided happily.

Harry Lender
June 19th, 2017, 08:09 AM
to Ann: Yes, my update of the roughly 10 Dell laptops and one Dell desktop only encountered one machine with problems. I did upgrade the RAM on all the machines, and recommend as much as a persons machine might take, I've found that 32 GBs of RAM for Pr and add ons is a good starting point. 16 is too small for many except those working in single camera. Microsoft has done a great job on the upgrade. What you need to do before upgrading, is check the machine's BIOS and make sure you have installed the most current update if there is one. I also update the video drivers prior to the upgrade as well. The manufacturer's web site will list the updates available for the specific model of machine. By doing that you limit your exposure to Blue Screens of Death, which are almost always hardware related.

Al and Ann;
Thanks for you input. I'm not newbie. I've been editing video with Adobe since 1998. Now as far as computers go, I know just enough to be dangerous. lol. Anyway I'm going to upgrade everything to what you were telling Ann in your post to her. Due to my problem which occurred two weeks ago I decided that this was the best time to make some changes. I'll outline my problem that developed to make me make decision. I am leaning toward PPRO CC due to all the upgrades they have added. Also I would like to start with a clean slate. That's still open for consideration.

Here are my computer Specs:
Windows 7 Pro
Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corp
Service Pack 1
Rating 7.7
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
Installed Memory (Ram) 16.0GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch : No Pen or Touch is Available for this Display
I had started another Thread. Here's what I posted. Maybe this will help.
"It seems I have a problem. I have done a search but nothing comes up that matches my problem. I have a project that I am working on. It has been playing great until today. I had just downloaded a Transition program from BestProAction and installed it. At that point when I clicked to play the timeline when I overlayed the transition on the track above the two clips it was very jittery and not smooth. I did a test project hoping to see if that would correct the problem. No luck. The video used for the project and imported in plays OK outside Premiere. Only when it has been imported into Premiere does the problem occur. I ran a scan for viruses and Malware but with no luck. At this point I'm going to wait until Monday to get with my computer tech to see if he can find the problem. I'm thinking that maybe if he can run a scan for Malware and if that fails to do a restore to a an earlier time. If that fails maybe to uninstall then reinstall CS6."
BTW we did try a restore to an earlier time but that did not work.

I found out later that the transition that I downloaded was not supported by CS6. Only CC. So that was my fault for not taking the time to make sure it was supported. Lesson learned.
I checked with Adobe forums and here in DVinfo for a solution with no luck. The only thing I can think of is a setting was changed maybe in the registry flies.
Hope all this helps.
I really appreciate all the input everyone given. It's very much appreciated.
All the Best.
Harry

Harry Lender
June 19th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Harry, if you are actually going to upgrade to Windows 10, then you don't need to uninstall anything, as Ann says. If you setup a second drive you can keep running CS6 on the original drive it's on, and load CC onto the new drive. When you do, please make sure that on updates you look for the option to leave the older version in place. The default is to eliminate it and upgrade. There is a check box if I remember right to allow you to do a side by side installation, rather than what's called an "over the top" installation.

Since you say you are a newbie, why not post your machines specs for us to think about. We might have a reasonable suggestion based on that. How much RAM are you running, what video card, etc.

Here are my computer Specs:
Windows 7 Pro
Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corp
Service Pack 1
Rating 7.7
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
Installed Memory (Ram) 16.0GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch : No Pen or Touch is Available for this Display

I have another post with more info. further down.
Thanks Again

Graphics Card.... Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

Robert Young
June 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM
This is my experience as well.
The upgrade from Win 7 to 10 was flawless on my Dell Precision 7910.
All of my existing software, including the complete CS6 Suite and the current CC Suite, worked perfectly after installing Win 10 over the existing Win 7 system.
My experience with Win 10 and Premiere CC has been excellent.
I'm finding it all to be stable, fast, and pretty much friction-less.
You might want to double check the compatibility of your current graphics card with CC 2017 requirements.
Some cards that used to be compatible are no longer on the list.
It's always tough to decide to pull the trigger on this sort of thing, but you know it's got to be done.
I made a back up image of my system drive, then did the upgrade to Win 10.
If it had not gone well, I could have simply restored my system drive from the image and be back to square one in an hour or so- no harm done.
Fortunately, the upgrade was quick, easy, and the results were perfect

Harry Lender
June 20th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
This is my experience as well.
The upgrade from Win 7 to 10 was flawless on my Dell Precision 7910.
All of my existing software, including the complete CS6 Suite and the current CC Suite, worked perfectly after installing Win 10 over the existing Win 7 system.
My experience with Win 10 and Premiere CC has been excellent.
I'm finding it all to be stable, fast, and pretty much friction-less.
You might want to double check the compatibility of your current graphics card with CC 2017 requirements.
Some cards that used to be compatible are no longer on the list.
It's always tough to decide to pull the trigger on this sort of thing, but you know it's got to be done.
I made a backup image of my system drive, then did the upgrade to Win 10.
If it had not gone well, I could have simply restored my system drive from the image and be back to square one in an hour or so- no harm done.
Fortunately, the upgrade was quick, easy, and the results were perfect

Hi Bob and Ann
My Graphics is Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
Very good info everyone has posted. I am leaning toward updating Win 7 with Win 10 as suggested.
I'm also thinking a new HD just for PPRO CC. Upgrading Ram from 16GB to maybe 64? As I said before I know just enough about computers to Dangerous. I'm working with a Computer Tech who built my original system 4 years ago. Now is the time to update and upgrade. Also updating the OS.
If you can think of anything else let me know. I'll pass it on to him.
Regards
Harry

Harry Lender
June 20th, 2017, 06:35 PM
I was thinking that after I upgrade to windows 10 I might uninstall and reinstall PPRO CS6. to see if that would correct my problem. Having a fresh install. Leaving Encore and everything else still on the computer. It was quite an adventure trying to find the procedure. I finally found what I think is the way to do it. Take a look and see what you think. Also any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
Thank you

https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html

Ann Bens
June 21st, 2017, 07:51 AM
Your graphics card will work just fine: mine is a 480 and no issues.

My machine is more outdated then yours i7/940, 12 gig ram.

I would not touch CS6 as its not a cloud version, might get activation issues on that.
If you do uninstall, use cleaner tool then install the cloud version.

Harry Lender
June 21st, 2017, 08:26 AM
Quote"Your graphics card will work just fine: mine is a 480 and no issues.

My machine is more outdated then yours i7/940, 12 gig ram.

I would not touch CS6 as it's not a cloud version, might get activation issues on that.
If you do uninstall, use cleaner tool then install the cloud version.End Quote"

Hi Ann
Thanks for your reply. I was just getting ready to call Adobe tech support on how to uninstall just PPRO CS6 and leaving Encore and everything else installed. Also yes I do want to reinstall PPRO CS6. When you say
"install the cloud version." does that mean there is a cloud version of PPRO CS6?

The reason for uninstalling PPRO CS6 is to try correcting a glitch that came up when I tried to install a small program from BESTPROACTION that I found out later was not compatible with CS6. My fault for not taking the time to check it out. I've checked everywhere, DVINFO & Adobe Forums, trying to solve the problem with no luck. Timeline was playing back very jerky and not smooth. So I figured to Uninstall and Reinstall would correct the problem.
Let me know about the "Cloud version" if you can.
Best regards
Harry

PS Yes I still am going to install PPRO CC

Alan Craven
June 21st, 2017, 09:05 AM
Harry,

much as Adobe would have us all believe that CS6 is dead, it is very much alive and kicking.

I upgraded my previous system from W7 to W10 when the upgrade was free, without issue. All my hardware and software worked just as before. Note that this was an "in situ" upgtrade, not a "clean" install of W10.

Last August I bought a new system, and so had to purchase a copy of W10 - my upgrade was tied to the old hardware.

I installed W10 pro, immediately followed by all necessary drivers. I installed the Adobe CS6 software before anything else, i.e. Premiere (with Encore), After Effects, Audition, and Photoshop. There were no issues during installing, and they were all activated without problem. The activation issues are with CS2 and earlier versions, as Adobe had to close down the activation server. CS6 activation is still running just as it was.

I then installed Microsoft Office 2003, and all my other software - most of which is rather younger! Again there were no issues.

Where I did have issues was with hardware drivers. My Focusrite Saffire had worked OK with the upgrade, but refused to work at all with the clean install. So I had to replace it. My Canon i4950 printer had worked fine with the old system, but it would not print DVD labels with the clean install. That was about it, everything ran just fine then, and still does today.

Obviously there are no guarantees that you will encounter no difficulties with a new install, but there is nothing in W10 which prohibits the use of CS6. As there are no more updates for CS6, no difficulties shoud arise in future, but just to play safe, I have turned off Adobe update completely - the temptation must be there!

If you are happy with CS6, there is no reason to shell out for the latest and greatest, just go for it.

I suspect my problem with CS6 will arise when I replace my trusty Sony EX3 camera. I cannot expect the old CS6 software to run with new codecs, etc., but then I gather CC is not immune from this. Even Jim Simon, the erstwhile arch-devotee of CC on the Adobe forums, is defecting to Resolve due to Premiere not supporting the files that his camera delivers.

Harry Lender
June 21st, 2017, 10:18 AM
Quote"much as Adobe would have us all believe that CS6 is dead, it is very much alive and kicking.

I upgraded my previous system from W7 to W10 when the upgrade was free, without issue. All my hardware and software worked just as before. Note that this was an "in situ" upgtrade, not a "clean" install of W10.

Last August I bought a new system, and so had to purchase a copy of W10 - my upgrade was tied to the old hardware.

I installed W10 pro, immediately followed by all necessary drivers. I installed the Adobe CS6 software before anything else, i.e. Premiere (with Encore), After Effects, Audition, and Photoshop. There were no issues during installing, and they were all activated without problem. The activation issues are with CS2 and earlier versions, as Adobe had to close down the activation server. CS6 activation is still running just as it was.

I then installed Microsoft Office 2003, and all my other software - most of which is rather younger! Again there were no issues.

Where I did have issues was with hardware drivers. My Focusrite Saffire had worked OK with the upgrade, but refused to work at all with the clean install. So I had to replace it. My Canon i4950 printer had worked fine with the old system, but it would not print DVD labels with the clean install. That was about it, everything ran just fine then, and still does today.

Obviously there are no guarantees that you will encounter no difficulties with a new install, but there is nothing in W10 which prohibits the use of CS6. As there are no more updates for CS6, no difficulties should arise in future, but just to play safe, I have turned off Adobe updater completely - the temptation must be there!

If you are happy with CS6, there is no reason to shell out for the latest and greatest, just go for it.

I suspect my problem with CS6 will arise when I replace my trusty Sony EX3 camera. I cannot expect the old CS6 software to run with new codecs, etc., but then I gather CC is not immune from this. Even Jim Simon, the erstwhile arch-devotee of CC on the Adobe forums, is defecting to Resolve due to Premiere not supporting the files that his camera delivers.End Quote"

Hi Alan
Thanks for the update. I'm still thinking about CC. However I have to get CS6 working again. That's the reason for Reinstalling it. Before the incident it was working great. Now I'm hold with my Projects.
Best Regards
Harry
Here what my problem looks like
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzc5Dk6QDE_-ci1XblU0bG5SUDg/view?usp=sharing

Ann Bens
June 21st, 2017, 11:54 AM
CC might kill off activation of CS6 disk version.
I would try to fix CS6 before upgrading W10.

Please dont quote it makes the posts hard to read. (English is not my native language) or put the text in a quote box.

Harry Lender
June 21st, 2017, 12:37 PM
Sorry about that. And I will try to fix CS6
Thank You

Harry Lender
June 21st, 2017, 02:04 PM
I just spent :45 minutes trying to contact Adobe support by phone. Was unable to find a phone number. They kept taking me to pages upon pages and never to the right one. So I tried to repost my original problem in a new post in the forums but couldn't find the "Post a New Thread" button. At this rate I'll never get my problem fixed. If I'm having this much trouble now, what's it going to be like If I buy Premiere Pro CC???
This is not right. What am I doing wrong?
I get more help from you guys than from Adobe.
Thanks to everyone here. You are great.
Harry

Luke Miller
June 22nd, 2017, 09:48 AM
Have you tried the Adobe Community Forums. That is where I go for help. Here is the link to the one for Premiere Pro https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

You will likely need to set up an Adobe Account if you don't already have one.

Harry Lender
June 22nd, 2017, 12:25 PM
Hi Luke;
Yes I've been to the forums and posted there with no luck. I just happened to get lucky and was able to post. However when I tried again I wasn't successful.
The link you gave me here was successful. I'm going look there for my problem.
Also i've been looking for the proper way to Uninstall & Reinstall PPRO CS6 to see if that will correct my problem. Keeping Encore installed of course.
I came across this link Uninstall Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - How to fully remove Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 from Windows system (http://softuninstall.com/remove-adobe-premiere-pro-cs6.html)

Take a Look and see what you think.
Thanks Again For your help.
Harry
PS
Luke Your link was a God Send. Thanks Again.

Luke Miller
June 22nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
I came across this link Uninstall Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - How to fully remove Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 from Windows system (http://softuninstall.com/remove-adobe-premiere-pro-cs6.html)

Take a Look and see what you think.

I haven't had a problem uninstalling a program using the Windows program uninstall process and would worry about using an unfamiliar third party utility to do it. If you still have issues after the uninstall you might consider Adobe's registry cleaner.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Ann Bens
June 22nd, 2017, 03:29 PM
No point in contacting Adobe on CS6: its not supported anymore. They will direct you to the forums.

If you want good advice on hardware start here:

https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Ann Bens
June 22nd, 2017, 03:33 PM
Proper way to uninstall CS6 is to use the Windows Control Panel.
Then use Cleaner Tool.

Harry Lender
June 22nd, 2017, 04:46 PM
Thank you Luke:
Now it's becoming clearer.
Best Regards.
Harry

Harry Lender
June 22nd, 2017, 04:49 PM
Proper way to uninstall CS6 is to use the Windows Control Panel.
Then use Cleaner Tool.

Thanks you so much Ann. You and Luke made it much clearer.
Best Regards
Harry

Harry Lender
June 22nd, 2017, 09:13 PM
Luke and Ann;

In the midst of doing all my research it suddenly dawned on me, Why should I Uninstall and Reinstall CS6?

Even though CS6 has a small error I never really intended on using it again once I installed Premiere Pro CC. And it might open up doors that should remain closed. I like what CC has to offer so why go back and use CS6.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling might be more trouble than it's worth. I might just "leave well enough alone."

Your thoughts.

Thanks again for all your help.

Harry

Luke Miller
June 24th, 2017, 08:24 AM
I think once you experience the improved features in Premiere Pro CC 2017 you will have no further use for CS6

Ann Bens
June 25th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I would leave CS6 on the computer for a while; just in case....
like projects that wont convert properly,
sd mpeg2 can have issues in CC.

Harry Lender
June 25th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I finally did make that decision. I'm intending on Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 leaving CS6 on the computer. Then getting a new Hard drive and installing Premiere Pro CC on to that Hard Drive by itself. My only worry is if I would open up my project that I constructed in CS6 would it bring over the same error that I had in CS6. I'm planning on reconstructing that project all new and fresh to avoid that possibility.
Anyway Thanks So much for your help. I'll be making the big move after July 4th. when my computer tech gets back from vacation.
Regards
Harry

Ann Bens
June 26th, 2017, 02:31 PM
All programs should reside on the boot drive (C drive)

Harry Lender
July 7th, 2017, 01:00 PM
I have a question. Next week I'll be upgrading to Win 10. Also I'll be moving from Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 to CC. I won't be uninstalling CS6. As mentioned earlier in this post I had an error in the settings that I couldn't find and correct. My question is, If I had a project that I was working on in CS6 and opened it in CC would the problem come over from CS6 to CC? Or would it be better to reconstruct that project from scratch in CC.

Again Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Harry

Ann Bens
July 7th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Start fresh in CC.

Harry Lender
July 7th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Thank you so much. Will do.

Harry Lender
July 15th, 2017, 04:34 PM
To All,
Just to let you know. Just upgraded from Windows 7 too Windows 10. Did the upgrade without reformatting the HD. Everything went perfect. Also Installed Premiere Pro CC. Installation was perfect with no problems.
I wish to thank everyone for help and suggestions. I am eternally grateful.
Thanks Again
Harry