View Full Version : external mic - only one channel recorded? AX100

Ian Chapman
June 26th, 2017, 02:25 AM
When I add a Rode shotgun mic to my AX100, it shows as stereo (left and right channels flickering)

However, when I add Sennheiser ew 100 G2 radio mic, it only shows as mono (one channel)

I have tried both cables in each and same happens as above.

Bit confused, can any shed any light on this?

ian

Zach Love
June 27th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Since the AX100 only has a 1/8" mic input, I was first thinking that maybe it was the cable. But if you've used the same cable on both the Rode mic & Sennheiser G2 receiver, then I think it's probably the Sennheiser.

My guess is the Rode mic is assuming you're connecting to more consumer end equipment & so is sending an unbalanced stereo signal down the cable (or mono to both L & R channels).

But the Sennheiser G2 might be set up to send a balanced signal over the 1/8" TRS cable. Which means when you use the 1/8" to XLR, you have a balance cable that can run a long distance. But if you use the 1/8" to 1/8" you're only sending a signal to one of the L or R channels.

From this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/524111-wiring-ew100-sennheiser-cable-cl100.html I'd guess that you're only seeing levels on your right channel, correct?

If you want to have your G2 show up on both channels, you'll need to make or buy a new cable.