View Full Version : Latest RED camera is going to be ultra portable

Andrew Smith
July 6th, 2017, 07:51 PM
And just happens to also be a phone. It's also modular and has a special futuristic display.

RED is a company known for its high-end camera equipment, and now it’s getting into the smartphone game.

The RED Hydrogen One is now official, complete with a 5.7-inch “Hydrogen holographic display”. RED touts that in addition to viewing traditional 2D content on the Hydrogen One’s display, you can use it to watch holographic RED Hydrogen 4-View content, 3D content, and 2D/3D virtual reality and augmented reality content.

You can even use it to be able to view the interface of your regular RED cameras.

More at https://www.phonedog.com/2017/07/06/red-hydrogen-one-specs-price-launch

Andrew

Andrew Smith
July 6th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Oh, you can also pre-order.

HYDROGEN Pre-Orders (http://www.red.com/hydrogen)

Andrew

Gary Huff
July 7th, 2017, 07:20 AM
It will disrupt and take the industry by storm, just like RED did with RED RAY and their 2/3" 3k for $3K Scarlet.

Peer Landa
July 7th, 2017, 05:36 PM
It will disrupt and take the industry by storm, just like RED did with RED RAY and their 2/3" 3k for $3K Scarlet.

Gary, did you somehow forget the <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags...?

-- peer

Dan Brockett
July 7th, 2017, 07:51 PM
While I think RED makes some technically very capable cameras, I have never "gotten" their marketing, image, names and attitude. To me, people who like cameras that have skulls on them and names like "Weapon" must have some Ed Hardy T-shirts in the closet, wear lots of Axe and like their Michael Bay. Nothing against all that, but it's just not me.

I like cameras that sound friendly, like EVA 1. ;-) EVA sounds cool, like you could hang out with her, have a few drinks and chill with some good conversation.

RED Hydrogen One? Oh boy.

Eugen Brinzoiu
July 8th, 2017, 04:21 AM
That was a great answer ,Dan
And funny.
You're absolutely right.

Dylan Couper
July 12th, 2017, 09:03 PM
https://www.facebook.com/dylan.couper/posts/10214001583860095
Couldn't figure out how to embed my Facebook post but I give myself permission to repost it.

So RED Digital Cinema is making a phone... What would happen if ALL camera companies made phones?!?

Nikon – Makes a great phone that has the prime selling point of being backwards compatible with the telegraph.

Canon – For 4 years web empires are built on speculating what the flagship phone will be and when it will launch. Riots ensue when a friend of a friend of a friend in the industry hears that it’s going to have a particle accelerator built in. Finally Canon announces and ships... a phone that would be cutting edge 4 years ago but is basically low end tech now. Still, the menu is nice.

Panasonic – Announces and ships phone promptly. Phone has fantastic tech and is higher quality than most phones. Only it’s ½ the size and who wants a ½ size phone? No one really. A weird niche of core users hack it and become able to travel through time.

RED Digital Cinema – Announces phone with an ad comprised of nothing but a black velvet nude Elvis painting and promises of teleportation. May possibly be a phone as well. Pre-order sells thousands in the first hour. Charger cable costs more than Canon's phone. No one notices or cares and is sold out for years.

Blackmagic Design – Announces a similar phone to Red for 1/3rd the price. Takes a year and a half to ship. Is both figuratively and literally a cinder block. Has more glitches than Red’s phone but includes a free paperback copy of Encyclopedia Britannica. Develops a cult following from people who despise Red owners.

Sony – Already makes an awesome phone. No one cares (except Chino in our office). Sorry.

Lytro – Actually makes and delivers a holographic phone but no one gives a shit once they realize a holographic phone is completely pointless. Their follow up phone is living room sized and sends criminals to the phantom zone.

GoPro – Makes a mediocre phone but pays NASA to let someone bungee jump off the ISS with it while fighting Godzilla. People lose their minds assuming owning the phone will let them do the same thing and they sell like hotcakes. No one remembers the Contour or Drift phones.

Leica – Paints Panasonic’s phone black and puts a red dot on it, doubles the price.

Hasselblad – One-ups Leica, puts a wood handle on a Sony phone, triples the price.

Samsung – Gets bored of crushing the phone market and makes a decent camera that no one really cares about. Tablets start catching on fire. Ditches cameras and goes back to making phones properly.

SIGMA – Makes a pretty good phone... but runs Windows, so no one gives a crap about it.

DJI – Makes a great phone, but the phones tend to crash frequently and each time require being sent back to the factory for a month for repair. Next gen has anti-crash technology. They still crash.

Fujifilm Cameras – Makes such a good phone that it’s totally sold out anytime people go to buy one so people just go back to buying Canon’s 4 year old tech flagship phone.

JVC – Makes a new phone with the best ergonomics on the market. People aren’t sure whether it runs Windows, Android or IOS so just go buy 4 year old Canon tech instead.

ARRI – Makes a phone with the best call quality on the market. Costs the same as a nice car and weighs about as much, because everything is secondary to call quality. Lacks the teleportation tech of Red, but is embraced by everyone who wouldn’t dare be seen talking on a Red. Wins the Oscar for best phone.

Polaroid – Makes a comeback from certain death by printing text messages on square paper. Minds blown.

Peer Landa
July 12th, 2017, 09:18 PM
So RED Digital Cinema is making a phone... What would happen if ALL camera companies made phones?!?

Just brilliant !! This' my favorite: "Hasselblad – One-ups Leica, puts a wood handle on a Sony phone, triples the price."

-- peer

Simon Denny
July 13th, 2017, 03:58 AM
You said it right here for me.

Fujifilm Cameras – Makes such a good phone that it’s totally sold out anytime people go to buy one so people just go back to buying Canon’s 4 year old tech flagship phone.

Andrew Smith
August 5th, 2017, 05:39 AM
Prototype preview. Probably needs a drool tray add-on. :-)

RED Hydrogen Prototype Hands-On! - YouTube

Andrew

Frank Grygier
August 5th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Red is trying to capitalize on the iPhone filmmaker craze.

Andrew Smith
December 3rd, 2017, 12:41 AM
It's been a while now so I searched their web site for any updates. :D

Andrew

Peer Landa
December 3rd, 2017, 01:47 AM
It's been a while now so I searched their web site for any updates.

Perhaps this phone-camera will end up just like their "4k for 4k" camera, remember..?

-- peer

Daymon Hoffman
December 4th, 2017, 02:00 AM
I thought it was 3k for 3k? :)

Peer Landa
December 9th, 2017, 01:23 PM
I thought it was 3k for 3k? :)

Yes, of course.

-- peer

Unregistered Guest
January 12th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Red is trying to capitalize on the iPhone filmmaker craze.

Apple will probably buy RED.

Bill Strehl
March 1st, 2018, 02:49 PM
I am guessing there will be something hands on @ NAB 2018. Foxconn has a booth in Central Hall (C3118) and I have never seen them at previous shows. In addition, while Red Cinema is not exhibiting at the show they have 3 meeting rooms reserved in North Hall.

Bill Strehl
April 4th, 2018, 11:13 AM
I just discovered that Foxconn is no longer listed for booth C3118. Sharp is now listed for that booth and on the NABShow website they indicate their 8K camera will be shown. So much for my Red/Foxconn theory:-( I guess it is now the Sharp/Foxconn theory:-)

Chris Hurd
April 4th, 2018, 12:06 PM
The 8K Sharp mentioned above by Bill:

Sharp announces 8C-B60A 8K Professional Camcorder (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/sharp-announces-8c-b60a-8k-professional-camcorder.html)

Ryan Jones
April 6th, 2018, 06:31 AM
I just discovered that Foxconn is no longer listed for booth C3118. Sharp is now listed for that booth and on the NABShow website they indicate their 8K camera will be shown. So much for my Red/Foxconn theory:-( I guess it is now the Sharp/Foxconn theory:-)

Foxconn bought Sharp so wouldn’t rule that theory out just yet :)

Bill Strehl
April 7th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Foxconn bought Sharp so wouldn’t rule that theory out just yet :)

It's hard to imagine the strong personalities at Red letting Foxconn brand a camera they are involved with have a brand other than Red, but I found this post by Engadget mentioning Phil Holland and a Sharp 8K monitor which involves Red and Sharp:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/02/red-and-sharp-8k-monitor/

Andrew Smith
July 24th, 2019, 06:24 PM
I missed this at the time: (from https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/18027782/red-hydrogen-one-review-all-hype)

RED’s debut smartphone is such a mess that it made me question what fundamental parts of a phone we truly need. Does a great phone truly need a great display, great design, and top-of-the-line specs? What if it ditched all of those things in pursuit of something far more unique and special?

The Hydrogen One is defined by its ambition. It’s meant to revolutionize not just phones, but all of media with a “holographic” display and a camera system capable of recording into this 3D format. The phone is also expandable, and RED — one of the most esteemed names in digital imaging — plans to release an add-on camera sensor that’s capable of transforming the phone into a full-on cinema camera.

It’s an exciting prospect, but it all comes crashing down because of one immense flaw: the holographic display just isn’t very good. It’s a novelty. And while you can occasionally see glimmers of the potential that RED might have seen in this tech, it’s certainly not present in this generation of the phone, and it’s hard to imagine that potential being realized any time soon.

There is more at the above link.

Some may comment that this is perfectly normal for new Red products. :-)

Andrew

Andrew Smith
July 24th, 2019, 06:32 PM
So in response they are now developing (you guessed it already) version 2 of the phone.

... and founder Jim Jannard has offered a partial explanation while announcing the first details on the device’s successor. In a post on the Hydrogen-focused H4Vuser.net website, Jannard blames the Hydrogen One’s unnamed Chinese ODM (original design manufacturer) for having “significantly under-performed” and making it “impossible” to fix the issues with the phone.

Now Jannard’s attention is on the Hydrogen Two as well as a long-promised camera module that will work with both phones. The Hydrogen Two is being designed “virtually from scratch” in partnership with a new ODM that is “clearly more capable of building and supporting the product we (and our customers) demand,” Jannard says.

Those who ponied up for the first phone will be looked after, they say. More on this and other aspects can be found here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/20708193/red-hydrogen-2-announced-camera-module

Andrew

Chris Hurd
July 24th, 2019, 08:01 PM
In the *very* short time that I spent with Jim Jannard -- which was over the course of one work day back in Dec. 2005 -- what I learned about him is that basically, if there is something that he would very much like to have that does not yet exist, then he wills it directly into existence, all roadblocks and resistance be damned. That goes for wrap-around sunglasses, digital cinema cameras, a phone that meets his expectations of smartness. His ability to make things happen does indeed impress me greatly.

Andrew Smith
October 27th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Aye, and now it's all over (https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/10/red-founder-kills-the-companys-holographic-phone-project-announces-retirement/).

The Red Hydrogen One was a phone from another dimension. It was big, super heavy, and was billed the world’s first holographic phone. Except it never quite delivered, and now, alongside a retirement announcement, Red Founder Jim Jannard is cancelling Red’s Hydrogen project altogether.

Existing handsets will continue to receive support updates.

Andrew

Chris Hurd
October 29th, 2019, 09:46 AM
Yowza. Best wishes to Jim and family.

Peer Landa
November 1st, 2019, 02:07 AM
Yowza. Best wishes to Jim and family.

Yep, Jimbo is a brilliant guy -- just wish he (Red) would somehow turn this phone into a snazzy point & shoot camera.

-- peer

Chris Hurd
November 1st, 2019, 07:36 AM
(Red) ... snazzy point & shoot camera.

Agreed. I'd buy that.