View Full Version : .KLV file after using Photo Recovery Software

Jeremy Gadd
July 16th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I was filming a wedding yesterday when my Sony PXW-Z150 locked up while filming. It's hard to describe exactly what happened but the only way to get started again was to remove the battery as it wouldn't even switch off. Using recovery software I was able to recover the file, which had a .klv extension.

I can't find anything that will open this file. This was quite an important part of the day so I really need to find some way of being able to edit this.

Andrew Smith
July 16th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Drag and drop the file directly in to your media player software of choice, such as "Media Player Classic (https://mpc-hc.org/)". If it has video content then it will play regardless of what the extension is.

If it plays then change the file extension over to what it should normally be.

Andrew

Jeremy Gadd
July 17th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Thanks. I tried doing this in VLC media player but it crashes every time.

Andrew Smith
July 17th, 2017, 02:52 AM
This may or may not be relevant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLV

Can only otherwise recommend contacting tech support at the manufacturer.

Andrew

Jeremy Gadd
July 17th, 2017, 03:52 AM
Thanks but too techy for me! I had read somewhere that it's basically a case of re-wrapping the .klv file into a .mxf container, but I have no idea how to do that.

Dave Farrants
July 17th, 2017, 04:15 AM
If you have access to a Mac try dropping into File Juicer, it's fixed many problems for me. don't know of a PC equivalent sorry.

Jeremy Gadd
July 17th, 2017, 04:30 AM
Unfortunately, no access to MAC but thanks for your help.

Jeremy Gadd
August 4th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Hi again all. I've spent the last few weeks contacting Sony about this issue and have really got the runaround. Sony Prime Support say they can't test the camera unless I can 're-create the scenario', passed me off to their Medis department as it could be a card issue. But they said that as it was an SD card they wouldn't have anything to do with it!!

The long and short is that I am stuck as I can't get the camera fixed unless the issue happens again (hope not) and they won't tell me how to re-wrap the .klv file into an MXF wrapper. Does ANYONE know how to do this? I have searched all over the internet and can't find anything. it seems to be a closely guarded secret, lol.

Noa Put
August 4th, 2017, 04:00 AM
Try to contact Taky Cheung from L.A. Color Pros, I have seen him successfully help out users who have had similar problems. He is also active on this forum.