View Full Version : Cleaning mic bodies

Jim Andrada
July 16th, 2017, 11:28 PM
I have a couple of Schoeps mic bodies that I've been using for 10 years or so. They're the brushed nickel color and they've gotten pretty dirty in all that time so I'm wondering what would be safe to use to clean them up. (Yeah, I know the schmutz doesn't affect the sound, but they're getting a bit too grungy!!!)

Gary Nattrass
July 17th, 2017, 12:31 AM
I use baby wipes to clean mine then remove any residue with one of my optical lens wipes.

Jim Andrada
July 17th, 2017, 01:19 AM
That sounds like a good idea! Thanks.

Jim Feeley
July 17th, 2017, 09:34 AM
I use a process similar to this:
Canon 5D Mark III washed by a kid!!! - YouTube

And when I'm not ruining my equipment, I use a damp (and just damp, not wet) cloth on my Schoeps. Gary's approach sounds good, too. Just totally stay away from the body-capsule threads.

Jim Andrada
July 18th, 2017, 12:38 AM
Thanks - I'll try the damp cloth but it may not be quite up to the task - they're really dirty!!!

I liked the camera cleaning tutorial, it's probably how my wife would do it - or maybe she'd just put it in the dishwasher.

Richard Crowley
July 18th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I typically use an old towel or a micro-fiber cloth and rubbing alcohol to dissolve dirt that won't come off with water. Actually, the threads between the body and the capsule are a critical are that need to be clean because that is part of the electrical connection between the body and the capsule.

Note that the insulator (clear or translucent white plastic) between the mic body and the center contact is an especially critical area. That is a very high impedance circuit and needs to be "super-clean". Especially if you have a problem with increasing self-noise there may be a leakage path on that insulator that you can't even see. A very careful cleaning with alcohol (or Freon) and a cotton swab will remove accumulated stuff you may not even be able to see.

If the outside of the body is really dirty, it would be better to clean it with a mic capsule fitted just to protect the inside from any "slop" from cleaning the outside.