View Full Version : Shooting a marathon

Rafael Lopes
July 19th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Hi guys,

I´m working for a company that covers a lot of marathons for a youtube channel. The videos usually end up between 2 to 5 minutes long. I´ve never covered ANY sports at all, so other then watching some of the videos they´ve already made I don´t know what else to do to get the gist of it. I´m going to be shooting with a Sony NX5R (I wanted to take my A7RII but they told me they cannot ensure my camera and since they´ve already bought the NX5R recently they HAVE to capitalize on it). Any tips?

P.S - I´m not sure if this thread should be here but I didn´t see any "sports coverage" subforums...feel free to move it, mods.

Donald McPherson
July 22nd, 2017, 03:08 AM
Tongue in cheek. Obviously, check the route on a map. Get a bicycle so you can cut across certain areas to stay ahead. If you are lucky you might be able to catch the leaders a few times and of course get to the finish line before the.

Cary Knoop
July 22nd, 2017, 06:46 AM
I would use a medium or super telephoto lens. The compression and focus range works great for approaching runners.

Steven Digges
July 27th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Hey Rafael,

I have done a little sports work. You said you will be working to cover the events. Will you have full media credentials? If so that is your source of info and access right there. Some marathons are pretty well organized and their PR people may have very clear rules on what you can do and where you can do it from. Others are not much more than a small club or benefit run.

Your first race will have a massive learning curve, fun stuff. Be careful not to pan to quickly with that camera. I would practice with it first to find out where the shutter is going to fall apart and ruin the shots.

I don't see anything tongue in cheek about Donald's advice. Sounds like a plan to me! Get ready to cover some ground. On the big runs here there is often a camera operator sitting backwards on a motorcycle cruising in front of the leaders. Thats probably not you so plan your logistics in advance. Know who the projected leaders are in advance and their numbers.

Have fun,

Steve

Rafael Lopes
July 27th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Many thanks, guys!

Erick Perdomo
July 28th, 2017, 09:13 AM
I once was a member of a team covering a marathon. there were several videographers and we were paired with a motorcycle rider-I was sitting on the back and facing backwards to get some shots and in some parts I would get off the motorcycle and take shots-but is important to stay out of the way! seriously...don't get in the middle of the pack! Now if you are the only ONE covering the whole marathon that would be really difficult.You need lots of coverage and lots of different runners. A drone would be awesome but maybe not even allowed! the editing with so many cameras I'm sure would be more complex...
good luck!
E

Lewis Raymond
July 30th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Practice by shooting other runs if possible, or even plane landings/takeoffs. Also I would say it's important to shoot a reasonably fast shutter speed to ensure there's little to no movement blur.