View Full Version : Single camera shoot BBC Casualty

Donald McPherson
July 29th, 2017, 07:01 AM
This should be interesting tonight one straight unbroken shoot on one camera.
Casualty makes British TV history - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-40760382/casualty-makes-british-tv-history)

Steve Game
July 31st, 2017, 10:38 AM
The camera work was excellent, some of the actors clearly were missing the normal cues and prompts. I like the way that near the beginning the cameraman went down a stair well whilst the actors went down the stairs. I think I could hear the whirring of some sort of motorised lift platform.
The sound itself was difficult, presumably because there were too many speaking parts to mic them all up and it would have been impossible to have boom mics all the time without them getting in camera.

360 deg. single shoot in a few years?

Tony Neal
July 31st, 2017, 01:19 PM
The continuous flow of events and dialogue was much more engaging than the usual cutting between interleaved story lines - it made a refreshing change.

Can't think why they didn't use a Steadicam and/or gimbal to make the camera movements smoother, then they wouldn't have needed to change camera operators half way through.

The real heroes where the sound and lighting crews - I didn't see any camera shadows or stray booms in shot.

Paul R Johnson
July 31st, 2017, 02:33 PM
T
Can't think why they didn't use a Steadicam and/or gimbal to make the camera movements smoother, then they wouldn't have needed to change camera operators half way through.
Made me laugh!

You've never worn a broadcast Steadicam rig, obviously - on the training I discovered it was absolutely impossible for me - the weight, and the twisting moments it puts on you make wearing it impossible. Those guys who can wear them for entire football games and never seem to need a rest are giants in the stamina department. While the vests really distribute the weight - which is considerable, you are still carrying that weight - and in my fifties, now is not the time to start! To be honest, I can just about do a shoulder hold for an hour - and more than that is starting to really hurt.I thought the camera swap was managed amazingly well - hours of rehearsal. Just a shame the acting seemed so over the top in places. My broadcast camera friends are all 100% impressed, because they all know exactly how hard this was to do.

Gary Huff
July 31st, 2017, 02:39 PM
360 deg. single shoot in a few years?

Probably, but everyone has to be lav'd up, and no non-practical lighting, so what's the point?

Steve Game
August 1st, 2017, 08:11 AM
Sorry, don't know how to insert emoticons on this forum. No doubt there will be some of the uninformed whose lives won't be complete until it is done.

Gary Huff
August 1st, 2017, 10:04 AM
No doubt there will be some of the uninformed whose lives won't be complete until it is done.

I don't understand what you wrote, but I am curious to know what the last 360 degree video was that you watched in its entirety.

Tony Neal
August 1st, 2017, 01:33 PM
Made me laugh!

You've never worn a broadcast Steadicam rig, obviously - on the training I discovered it was absolutely impossible for me - the weight, and the twisting moments it puts on you make wearing it impossible. Those guys who can wear them for entire football games and never seem to need a rest are giants in the stamina department. While the vests really distribute the weight - which is considerable, you are still carrying that weight - and in my fifties, now is not the time to start! To be honest, I can just about do a shoulder hold for an hour - and more than that is starting to really hurt.I thought the camera swap was managed amazingly well - hours of rehearsal. Just a shame the acting seemed so over the top in places. My broadcast camera friends are all 100% impressed, because they all know exactly how hard this was to do.

True, I've only carried a lightweight HD camera on a handheld steadicam for an hour or so at wedding receptions and dress rehearsals and was able to rest for a minute or two if necessary.

But a single 90 minute steadicam shot was achieved in 2002 for the film 'Russian Ark' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Its a mesmerizing film - unimaginably complex to stage, especially the ballrooom scene. It should be mandatory viewing for anybody hoping to master a steadicam rig.

Patrick Baldwin
August 1st, 2017, 11:47 PM
True, I've only carried a lightweight HD camera on a handheld steadicam for an hour or so at wedding receptions and dress rehearsals and was able to rest for a minute or two if necessary.

But a single 90 minute steadicam shot was achieved in 2002 for the film 'Russian Ark' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Its a mesmerizing film - unimaginably complex to stage, especially the ballrooom scene. It should be mandatory viewing for anybody hoping to master a steadicam rig.

Yes but by the operators own admission it nearly killed him AND they had a carbon fibre vest made specially!

Donald McPherson
August 1st, 2017, 11:53 PM
Not just physical strength here required. Just imagine the concentration also required.