View Full Version : 4K 4:2:2 Conversion & Workflow

Robert J Baker
August 1st, 2017, 10:47 AM
I'm a DaVinci Resolve PC user who suffers from the inability to edit JVC 4:2:2 footage without converting it first. The question I have is what is a good format to convert it to using Adobe Media Encoder?

I thought there was a thread about a simple rewrapper that I could use without having to do conversions but I cannot find the appropriate link to the software.

So I guess I have 2 questions:
1 - What is the "best" format to convert JVC 4k 4:2:2 footage into for video editing?
2 - Does any know the link to the re-wrapping technique that someone developed for 4:2:2 footage?

Thanks, all.

Cary Knoop
August 1st, 2017, 11:02 AM
Get the Studio version, it is only $299 and no monthly "rental" fees.

Robert J Baker
August 1st, 2017, 12:05 PM
Get the Studio version, it is only $299 and no monthly "rental" fees.

I have the Studio version but 12.5 doesn't support the JVC 4:2:2 recorded format which is why I have to convert it. I'm only using Adobe Media Encoder to do the file conversion.

Are you saying that DR 14 (beta) can handle the JVC 4:2:2 recordings?

Al Slamecka
August 1st, 2017, 08:34 PM
Robert -

Resolve 14 can't handle the JVC 422 files. I started an earlier thread on this topic ("Editing 422 without conversion?") and within one of the posts it refers to a documented process to "re-wrap" the 422 files in an MXF wrapper which Davinci Resolve supports.

The process is specific to Windows users and I haven't found a suitable program to "re-wrap" on OSX. Fortunately I have a Windows machine to and was able to follow the process and after re-wrapping open them in Resolve 14 on my mac.

One of the posts in the earlier thread states that Blackmagicdesign doesn't see sufficient demand for supporting the JVC 422 files so it looks like we'll need to make due with workarounds for now.

Hope this helps...

Al Slamecka
August 1st, 2017, 08:41 PM
Here's the link from the other thread... https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...5152/#ca650043

The specific post is from GJeffrey and it's on the second page of the thread. The thread is about getting Panasonic GH5 footage into Vegas however the instructions work for JVC 4:2:2 footage and Davinci Resolve.

Robert J Baker
August 3rd, 2017, 09:36 AM
Thank you. That was exactly the thread I was looking for. I did search for it and must have completely overlooked it.

Alex Humphrey
December 29th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Final Cut Pro X seems to handle it just fine, though viewing in Quicktime natively doesn't... My 15"MBP edits and scrubs natively, however it starts to bog down with a couple hours of footage....probably due to the CPU or GPU keeping up with decoding the footage on the fly.