View Full Version : canon console

Kurt Franz
August 26th, 2017, 06:46 AM
can anyone direct me to where i can obtain the Canon Console application? I realize that there are probably applications that can do the things that this application was designed for, but I am curious and want to check it out.
thanks

Don Palomaki
August 27th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Have you tried Canon? You can ateast d/l the manuals, and I've seen some reviews on line, even at Videomaker.

Mark Watson
August 27th, 2017, 07:34 PM
I remember it sold for $600 and I believe Canon stopped selling and supporting it sometime between 2010 and 2012, not 100% sure, but that's best I can recall. It may not work with the newer laptop operating systems and also the cameras themselves.

Kurt Franz
August 28th, 2017, 04:01 AM
Have you tried Canon? You can ateast d/l the manuals, and I've seen some reviews on line, even at Videomaker.

i have downloaded the manual from the canon site. that was what got me intrigued about getting the application and having a look at it. i currently have a windows xp machine that i use with my canopus hardware and edius, so no issues running it.

best
kf

Don Palomaki
August 28th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Keep an eye on the auction sites too. A copy might turn up.

I suspect it was not very popular, thus it had a short market life and likely a small installed base.

Kurt Franz
August 29th, 2017, 08:57 PM
i think this software is lost to the ages....no where to be found.......would have been interesting to check out at he very least.

Mark Watson
August 29th, 2017, 09:27 PM
I checked a few of my older laptops to see if I still had the trial version I downloaded a long time ago. No joy. I thought the price was a little too high. In 2008 I bought the XL-H1A rather than the XL-H1S, due to it being $3,000 more. I think the Console was aimed at the pros who had gone all in with the higher end model. And I agree is must have not sold many copies and was rarely mentioned in the forum.

Kurt Franz
August 30th, 2017, 05:02 AM
Thanks for taking the time to check your old laptops. Maybe someone will eventually have a copy they are willing to share. Artifacts like this need to be preserved 😀

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Sorry, I'm just now seeing this.

I might have it, actually. But I haven't fired up that particular laptop in years.

It's not even in the house... it's in a 40-ft. Conex box back behind our barn. Hmm.

I'm pretty sure the program is on there, but I don't know about the installation files, that is, I don't know how I'd get the application to you.

Now I'm wondering if I have it on CD. That's a possibility.

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Not sure if this is the document you already have, but in case it isn't, or if anyone else is interested, I've attached it below. It's an overview of Console.

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 05:48 PM
I've also uploaded the Console user's manual to http://www.dvinfo.net/docs/canon/CONSOLE_V1-1_ENG.pdf

(Cut and paste the URL. I tried posting the direct link, but it wanted to embed the 11-meg PDF! Not good.)

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Sucess! See attached pics.

Laptop took a massage to boot up and I can't believe it still runs.

Haven't seen Win XP in quite awhile.

Anyway I have the .self-extracting exe, it's an 11 MB file.

Shoot me a private email so we can discuss the weather, whatever sports you like, and other things.

chris at dvinfo dot net

Don Palomaki
September 16th, 2017, 04:20 PM
I recall learning about it and thought it would be a great item to have with the XHA1, until I read the price and estimated how often I would use it.

It may not work with the newer laptop operating systems and also the cameras themselves.

Manual says it will not work on 64-bit XP. Requires the IEEE-1394 interface. Only list 4 camcorders that work with it.

I guess it died due to cost and lack of interest. Now the camcorders have the wireless/web interfaces that may provide much of the essential functionality.

Kurt Franz
September 17th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Sucess! See attached pics.

Laptop took a massage to boot up and I can't believe it still runs.

Haven't seen Win XP in quite awhile.

Anyway I have the .self-extracting exe, it's an 11 MB file.

Shoot me a private email so we can discuss the weather, whatever sports you like, and other things.

chris at dvinfo dot net

Chris - I sent you a PM

Also, I still have a dedicated XP machine that I reghularly use with my Canopus DV Storm2 card and Storm Edit for capturing video from my huge collection of VHS tapes of sporting events from the 80s and 90s.:)

Chris Hurd
September 17th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Hi Kurt, we don't have a private messaging system on DVi, it's gotta be email, sorry.

chris at dvinfo dot net

Also what I have is Console 1.0, not sure what it's missing from Console 1.1 but it's better than nothing I guess!

Don Palomaki
September 17th, 2017, 08:05 AM
The below press release describes some of the added stuff in v1.1.

Canon Updates Console Software for Use with New XH A1 and XH G1 HD Camcorders; Canon Adds Functionality Options for Its Console Software Solution | Business Wire (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20060726005280/en/Canon-Updates-Console-Software-New-XH-A1)

Kurt Franz
September 19th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Thanks - should be good as I am using an XL2 :)

As an aside I picked up a Brevis Cinevate35 for $50 which I plan on experimenting with as well. If it doesnt work at least I can use it as a Panzerfaust prop

Best

Kurt Franz
September 19th, 2017, 05:49 PM
I was looking at all of the gear I have for the XL2 and the stuff would have cost me over 10K when it was new. Now I could probably get $300 tops for it and I would be waiting a good while to get it...

Canon XL2 with 20X lens and shotgun mic
Original battery charger/dc adapter
2 Batteries
Owners manual
Factory Canon carrying case
Canon 3X wide zoom
Canon 14 manual lens
Canon 35mm adapter
Canon 35mm 75mm-300mm zoom lens
Datavideo DN60

Regardless - it is fun and I enjoy having this stuff to fool around with. Only thing I am still looking for is the factory adapter plate that goes on the back of the camera to hold accessories. That is proving to be difficult to find.......the fun is in the hunt though

Thanks again for all of your input and help
KF

Don Palomaki
September 20th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Are you looking to unload the Data Video DV60?

Kurt Franz
September 22nd, 2017, 05:19 AM
don not looking to get rid of the dn60 anytime soon that was the toughest item to get and is currently the key to happiness for me with all of my old tape based machines it took me 2 years to get one that was used and in good shape just curious but why would you be needing one of those? are you a dinosaur like me :)

kf

Don Palomaki
September 23rd, 2017, 06:57 AM
A bit of useful life extension to the XHA1 (go tapeless) if found at a bargain price, and your "$300 tops" quip caught my eye just in case you were seriously considering unloading any of it.

Kurt Franz
September 25th, 2017, 08:01 PM
don if i decide to unload it i will let you know......