View Full Version : JVC GY-HM170U (4k) cameras for performance work?

David Stembridge
August 28th, 2017, 07:05 AM
We currently use Canon XHA1s HDV cameras, and run firewire cables into Macbook Pros (firewire to thunderbolt adapter) and record using quicktime. Here's an example from earlier this year: https://youtu.be/6KTbMtWWMZ0
We can't depend on the cameras for use with tape anymore, and want to start using an HDMI video switcher for faster distribution.
We have been looking at the JVC GY-HM170U (4k) cameras and were wondering if anyone has used them for performance work?
There's not a lot of recent input on them; but BH still has them marked down under 1.3k. Daylit samples look fabulous, compared to footage with our XHA1s cameras.

Roger Van Duyn
August 28th, 2017, 11:18 AM
See my message in the other thread. I realize that section has very few posts. And granted, a high percentage of those posts are gripes. But, there's not much said online about the 170s anywhere. Yet, if you go on the B&H site to the professional camcorders and sort by Best Sellers, you'll notice which camera is on top. It's been that way consistently since I bought my pair last November.

So, why a such a scarcity of posts (though often with gripes) from a camera that sells, and still sells, so well? Maybe most owners are like me. They realized they weren't getting a perfect camera, just a very capable camera at such a low price point when they bought em. Just not that much to say. They tend to do the job as long as you use them right within their limitations.

Just my opinion, but people keep buying them. And I see the JVC 200 class cameras all over the place around here being used by various shooters for the colleges, cable, etc.