View Full Version : I pre-ordered the XF400 - thoughts?

Pages : [1] 2

Dan McGuckin
September 14th, 2017, 04:53 AM
So as the title states I put my pre order in on this new camera. I currently film with a C100 mark 1 and have been wanting to get into 4k content with the same auto focus that my 7d mark ii has. I would love a C200 but the cost is prohibitive and my wife can barely figure out my C100 as it is.
We film custom content for clients around the world for web and computer delivery. Almost everything is shot hand held with studio lighting and with a shotgun mic.
I use the same lens every day and can't remember the last time it has come off the camera. As much as I love my C100, I just don't think I need it anymore since I am not shooting anything with shallow DOF anymore, nor filming broadcast quality. I really just want something that I can pick up and use, easy AF with 4k and this seems to check all the boxes.
I had been also thinking about the Canon XC15 - but the lack of handle, no wrist strap and 4k to CFast cards was holding me back.
How do you guys think the quality of the video (24p) will be compared to what I'm shooting with the C100?
Here is what we currently shoot on our Youtube documentary series "The Diary Of A Fetish Model" - NSFW if you want to see how we film and how the C100 quality looks.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX9uYj7rwKPbv4is3cfFhxg

Chris Hurd
September 14th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Hi Dan,

I can't comment on your question about 24p quality since I haven't actually seen it myself yet.

But I can tell you this. I sat in on a press briefing for the XF400 and Canon USA said something very interesting about it that really got my attention.

And that is, there's a lot of C200 in the XF400. A lot. The same image processors, the same recording format and more. I outlined some of these borrowed features at Buyer’s Guide: Canon XF series Camcorders: XF400/405 at DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/article/buyers_guides/buyers-guide-canon-xf-series-camcorders.html#xf400xf405).

Too me, that's a big deal.

Plus, when the C200 eventually gets XF-AVC, there will be a similar firmware update for the XF400.

Now as far as the XC15 goes. It's great and all but I have two major issues with it. Since you shoot mostly handheld then I don't know if you're really going to need servo zoom capability, but the XF400 has it while the XC15 does not.

Also, the XC15 has a single CFast card while the XF400 has two SDHC slots, for dual-recording or relay-recording and I think that's a big advantage.

Hope this helps,

Graham Bernard
September 14th, 2017, 11:27 PM
Hi Chris! Well this XF400 made me sit up. Much to consider here, muchly, muchly.... No reference to anything PAL? Or am I totally missing the plot?

Can that Lens cover do-hickey be removed? I'd want to plop onto my follow focus system and rods and apply my matte box with filters.

The Buyer's guide, right at the bottom I spied this one: "The XF105 adds a 3G-SDI jack."

G

Rob Cantwell
September 15th, 2017, 12:27 AM
I got an email from a UK company that are selling these and from their specs page;

PAL:
3840x2160 50.00P YCC420 8bit /1920x1080 50.00P
YCC422 10bit /
3840x2160 25.00P YCC422 8bit / 1920x1080 25.00P
YCC422 10bit

Graham Bernard
September 15th, 2017, 12:41 AM
OME!

Just found this on the Canon Pro site (?) : Introducing the Canon XF405 & XF400 Camcorders - YouTube

TAXI!

G

Graham Bernard
September 15th, 2017, 12:52 AM
And another....

Canon XF 405 and XF 400: First Look with Steven Pierce of Framework Productions - YouTube

Graham Bernard
September 15th, 2017, 01:01 AM
I got an email from a UK company that are selling these .... Wow, thanks Rob! Is the battery Format the same as the XF300 series? Canon wouldn't change that?

Watching YT closely the pixel tech used allows for full HD on a further 2x on the optical by using the 1" and cropping to its sensor! Now THAT, dear hearts, is intelligent and stunning marketing.

Gonna need to get to my supplier to poach some real world Grazie-Shot SD-card vids.

TAXI!

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Is the battery Format the same as the XF300 series? Canon wouldn't change that?

*Ahem* Well...

As I mentioned in our News thread about this camera: Canon USA launches three 4K UHD handheld camcorders at DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/534657-canon-usa-launches-three-4k-uhd-handheld-camcorders.html)

The XF400/405 design is actually more Canon XA than Canon XF.

And that includes the battery.

See this chart: Buyer’s Guide: Canon XF series Camcorders: Comparison Chart (http://www.dvinfo.net/article/buyers_guides/buyers-guide-canon-xf-series-camcorders.html#compare)

The XF400/405 uses the Canon BP-828 battery (from the Canon XA series), not the BP-9xx as on the other XF camcorders.

And the BP-828 is already the fattest BP-8xx in that series; you can't go "one louder" from there, so the Optional Battery spec had to be left blank on the comparison chart.

I won't be able to fill in the typical battery endurance time until the user manual comes out (round about the same moment the camera starts shipping).

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Can that Lens cover do-hickey be removed? I'd want to plop onto my follow focus system and rods and apply my matte box with filters.

Yes it can be removed -- see the last photo at the bottom of this page:

Canon USA Launches Three 4K UHD Camcorders at DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/canon-launches-three-4k-uhd-camcorders.html)

The Buyer's guide, right at the bottom I spied this one: "The XF105 adds a 3G-SDI jack."

Bah! Corrected, thanks for catching that.

Graham Bernard
September 15th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Back up the Bus! Internal recording to MP4! Really? Has MP4 become Broadcast Format? I'm must be missing something here.

My XF300 is MPEG2 and is BBC Compliant. Where's Alan when yah need him? So internal recording, going to SD cards was what I was trying to understand, penny is kinda dropping.

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Well, it goes to XF-AVC sometime next year via firmware update, just like the C200.

Dan McGuckin
September 15th, 2017, 01:45 PM
What I am concerned about is battery life. My C100 lasts forever on the extended batteries.

Graham Bernard
September 16th, 2017, 01:52 AM
Well, it goes to XF-AVC sometime next year via firmware update, just like the C200.I have no experience of C200 and the XF-AVC. I'd need/want to gather footage for this and see how it breaks down on VegasPro15.

I'm starting to simultaneously both appreciate and dismiss just what Canon have, undeniably created here. And come up with an idea of their route map for the future:

* Was their decision in any way influenced to use MP4 to get files to an SD card and not use CF? CF equates to space on the camera.

* Needing to jump to fully archival editable footage, use the BNC to an external recorder. This kinda defeats the object?

* Technically and amazingly handing out a 1" sensor which can be masked in HD to supply double the reach. KUDOS! Having 4K on their XF range must be what has been asked for?

* What's that audio format? Do I know this? Do I want this?

* Histos, Peaking, Focus overlays? Am I behind the curve on today's usage?

* Stunning touch screen target-DoF in-camera decision making: I can SEE what I want to DO and just touch it.

Is this part of their XF range or part of another range? Last year I attended the BROADCAST shows here in London. Whilst mooching around the Canon stand I quizzed a very polite gentleman from Canon-Japan whether they'd be taking the XF300, which I enjoy using, and considering to further upgrade? Or was this the end? In poker it's caledl a "tell". IMO he kinda blanched.... I knew something was afoot then. And now I know. And again, IMO, this isn't an XF it's, well an XG maybe.

Canon have done this to me before. I waited for the XM1 to whither and die so I could get the XM2. I used and abused two of those puppies for, what, 10 years? I overlapped the HD revolution with my SD, garnering much impatient comments from my HDV colleagues, and waited and waited, still on SD tape, till I got hands-on with an XF300. That was it! HD; Peaking, histos, Focus bars; 3-rings; direct focussing and so many many filming options and opportunities! I was in a sweet shop. They'd created a monster in me: Canon were the people to go with for now and the future. I'd found Elysium: Remember the quote in Gladiator?

And now.... I'm back in 2004. Yes UHD 4K and at a price I can do. But?

Apologies if you find my ramblings tantamount to those of a gainsayer.

Chris Hurd
September 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Was their decision in any way influenced to use MP4 to get files to an SD card and not use CF? CF equates to space on the camera.

A couple of reasons for this.

Canon has already declared their move away from CF toward CFast with the EOS-1DX Mk. II flagship DSLR, their XC10 and XC15 camcorders and their 4K Cinema EOS cameras. So I seriously doubt we'll ever see any 4K video writing to a Canon camera on CF since the Cinema EOS-1DC has gone off the market. They're doing 4K either to CFast or SD.

As I've stated before, the XF400 borrows a lot from the Cinema EOS C200 and in many ways the XF400 is just a C200 in another form. It's a companion camcorder to the C200. There's no CFast on the C200, either. It's also dual SD cards. Same recording format and all. They're keeping like with like.

So those decisions regarding MP4 to SD were made first for the C200, and then carried over to the XF400/405. I think that had more to do with it than the real estate on the camcorder body.

They've got 4K going to CFast on a Canon camcorder in the form of the XC10 and XC15, but alas, no servo zoom on those.

I'd like to see a 4K version of the XF200/205 with CFast + SD, and a 4K version of the XF300/305 with dual CFast. But that's just me.

Needing to jump to fully archival editable footage, use the BNC to an external recorder. This kinda defeats the object?

I think once it gets the XF-AVC upgrade via the firmware update promised for next year, that will qualify as such.

Technically and amazingly handing out a 1" sensor which can be masked in HD to supply double the reach. KUDOS! Having 4K on their XF range must be what has been asked for?

Overdue, in my opinion. I think they should have done a 4K UHD version of the 300/305 two years ago. And we don't have *that* yet.

What's that audio format? Do I know this? Do I want this?

It's MPEG-4 AAC-LC (16-bit 2ch) and LPCM (16-bit 4ch), 48 kHz -- now you know, whether you like it or not!

Histos, Peaking, Focus overlays? Am I behind the curve on today's usage?

I'll say as soon as I know, but I can't imagine it not having all those internal goods... WFM, VS, focus assist, etc.

Stunning touch screen target-DoF in-camera decision making: I can SEE what I want to DO and just touch it.

I was so skeptical of touch-screen AF until I bought an EOS 70D and started using it. Now I can't imagine not having it.

Is this part of their XF range or part of another range?

They're calling it an XF, but it's a whole lot of XA. The body with the removeable handle, the SD card slots, the consumer VIXIA / LEGRIA version (that's the HF GX10), and more. It's an XA camcorder with an XF name.

IMO, this isn't an XF it's, well an XG maybe.

It's an XA that records 4K!

Apologies if you find my ramblings tantamount to those of a gainsayer.

That's what it takes to suss these things out. It wouldn't be an internet forum otherwise!

Graham Bernard
September 16th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Thanks Chris.

Hmm... over the months to come, much to consider here. I really need to get at some Grazie-Shot samples onto my Vegas Timeline. Still, the price point is astonishing.

G

Rob Cantwell
September 16th, 2017, 06:32 PM
no mention of histogram but it did mention these;

Audio:
Recording MPEG-4 AAC-LC (16-bit 2CH) / LPCM (16-bit 4CH)
Control Manual or Auto
Reference Tone 1KHz, -12dB / -18dB / -20dB / Off
Microphone level metre Yes

System:
Panel:
Type LCD Capacitive touch panel
Size 3.5-inch (8.9 cm)
Dots (approx. 1.56 million dots)
Adjustable Yes

Waveform Monitor No
Focus Assist Yes. Focus Guide Function in MF
Peaking Yes. Selectable Peaking Colour: Red / Blue / Yellow
Zebra Yes. 70%, 100%
Markers Yes. Horizontal (grey) / Horizontal (white) / Grid (grey)/ Grid (white)

its pretty spendy at €3,627.

R

Graham Bernard
September 17th, 2017, 12:04 AM
its pretty spendy at €3,627.

R Ooo.... I didn't see that! Thanks Rob.

Don Palomaki
September 17th, 2017, 08:46 AM
USA prices posted on the Canon web page as of today:
XF400 - US$2999
XF405 - US$3499
VAT must be substantial

SDHC/SDXC cards strike me as more readily found and lower cost than CF, a plus. However, the smaller size is a mixed blessing at best, especially for less nimble fingers.

Weight fully decked out - 3.7 lbs, body only 2.5 lbs
In comparison the XA20 body is 1.7 lbs

Size (body only) is 5.3x3.6x8.4 inches.
in comparison the XA20 - 4.3x3.3x7.2 inches.

So while it has the shape/look of the XA20/30, it is roughly 50% heaver/larger.

No power consumption (watts) listed. Assuming equal power consumption density, I would expect the BP-828 to provide 67% of the run time it provides with the XA20.

Robert Bale
September 19th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Hi, I am keen to order one also, but I have never had a canon before, the main thing I am look for is the option to have a remote and cable plugged in, (not keen on wireless) the remote needs to have Iris/ zoom / focus
Are the world option ?

Rob

Chris Hurd
September 19th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Robert, these camcorders have a LANC / Control-L jack for wired remote zoom, focus and rec.

VariZoom, Manfrotto and other controllers will work just fine with the XF400/405.

Robert Bale
September 20th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Hi I am needing Iris / focus / zoom / rec not fused on the brend, any thoughts

Mark Watson
September 20th, 2017, 09:53 AM
My XF305 and XL-H1A allowed me to adjust all those things you listed, including iris. I have the now discontinued Canon ZR-2000 remote. If you can find one, I recommend it. Be careful getting a Manfrotto remote. I got one that is integrated with a pan handle and the attachment screw at the rosette is not compatible with my Sachtler FSB-6 or FSB-4 fluid heads. There was an adapter to make it work but no longer available. The ZR-2000 has a very nice zoom rocker, and you can set it for variable, or choose 1-16 fixed speeds. Since the XF400 is really lacking the ole' XF DNA, it may not give you remote control of the iris, but I'd bet that it does.

Mark

Dan Brockett
September 20th, 2017, 12:33 PM
These new cameras look exciting for the price point. I own the C200 and the 80D and one thing to be aware of with the touchscreen focusing, at least on the C200, it is nearly unusable on medium to long focal lengths. Why you ask? Look at the screen placement and design on both the C200 and the XF-400/405. Yes, cantilevered out on the left side of the camera.I've tried it with the touchscreen flipped up top in the middle like the C300 MKII clamshell and it only helps mitigate the vibrations from touching the screen minimally. On the 80D, the touchscreen for face detection and racking focus is pretty simple to use, I fly mine on a Zhiyun Crane gimbal. But on the 80D, the touchscreen can be flipped around and tucked into the back of the camera and pushing it to set focus points is pretty intuitive and pressing the screen to select faces or objects doesn't tend to be visible in the footage. But on a gimbal, I am typically using the EF-S 10-18mm STM IS F4.5-5.6 lens, sometimes the 24mm 2.8 STM. With such wide FOV, a lot of the little bumps and nudges get covered up. But use longer focal lengths and things change.

Take the screen on the C200, which is way out in front of the operator on the left of the camera and you are shooting an interview, often with an 80-150mm focal length. Even light touches of the screen become visible in the image at those focal lengths. These new cameras, with a 15X zoom but also with a smaller, lighter weight, will have the same challenge, possibly even worse. The DPAF and face detection is excellent technology, I love it. But actually using it, in the real world, on client shoots, can be frustrating. At least with the C200 and C300 MKII, the faces/focus points can also be selected using the grip joystick. It appears that on these new cameras, it is only selectable using the flip out screen. Not trying to rain on Canon's parade, these cameras look immensely appealing for a lot of uses, I may end up buying one once I pay off the C200 and buy enough CFast cards. The touchscreens though, need another generation of engineering on mounting points, cantilever factors and adjusting the responsiveness to a lighter touch for them to be universally useful at all focal lengths.

Chris Hurd
September 21st, 2017, 07:48 PM
... not fused on the brend...

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with this phrase and therefore have no idea what it means. Maybe it's a Texas vs. Australia thing. Translation?

XF400... may not give you remote control of the iris, but I'd bet that it does.

I bet it does too, but I'll try to find out for sure. Main thing is finding a LANC controller that does exposure adjustment. The ZR2000 you mentioned had that capability.

responsiveness to a lighter touch

Have you tried a soft-tip stylus? I can send you a DVi-branded one that has a flashlight and a frickin' *laser.*

Post of the day, Dan, many thanks for sharing your insights.

I love the EF-S 10-18 and the EF-S 24 f/2.8. They are the inexpensive hidden gems in the Canon line.

Robert Bale
September 24th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Sorry can't spell :) or had a few 🍻 Who knows,, , it was ment to say Brand. I was asking if there was a remote that will work on the new XF405 that will allow focus/iris/zoom , I am not fussed on what the brand is.

***also what will the network port to be used for , maybe possible the new NDI ?

Mark Watson
September 24th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Have you seen this Canon remote? Looks like it will do everything.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1036996-REG/canon_remote_controller_rc_v100.html

You didn't mention a budget.

Robert Bale
September 25th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Well that's wonderfull and all , but out of the budget, I was hoping for a 3rd party one, , well hope to find one.

Mark Watson
September 26th, 2017, 12:38 AM
The third party ones are a little cheaper for what they claim to do, but usually look very non-ergonomical; just a metal box with knobs and buttons. I still think the best solution would be to find a used ZR-2000. Failing that, possibly go with the Manfrotto. Like I said though, it has a weird attach screw size and won't work with my Sachtler head, unless I use the optional rod clamp, that allows you to clamp the Manfrotto to any size pan rod. I got the clamp and didn't like the extra slop that it introduced, even though it was minimal, it would cause my fluid head to tilt a little whenever I started a pan. My next solution is to sacrifice one of my Sachtler pan rods, cut its handle off, and weld the Manfrotto to it. The metal tubing looks too thin-walled to have any threads cut into it for a more elegant solution. Moving on...

It's just under $1,000, but Sony has a new remote, and it has iris control. The RM-30BP. This might be my next luxury item purchase. I don't think you will find anything under $250.

Might want to post a want-to-buy (WTB) message on the forums and see if you get lucky. Also, check B&H Photo's used gear section.

Robert Bale
September 26th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Thank u mark

Mark Watson
September 26th, 2017, 10:09 AM
There are two ZR-2000 remotes on eBay. This one for $350 and a new, in-the-box one for $500.
https://www.ebay.com/i/302198514813?rt=nc

B&H has some Manfrotto remotes in their used gear section. I think there was one for $220.

All my Sony and Canon LANC remotes are interchangeable between both brands of camera. My old Panasonic AG-DV30 has a different remote setup and I would be afraid I'd fry something if I tried plugging the Canon/Sony remotes into that camera. Point being, if you buy a Canon remote, then later get a Sony camera, they will likely work well together.

Mark

P.S. Sorry for all the diversion folks, now who has some thoughts to share about the XF400?!

Don Palomaki
January 7th, 2018, 11:20 AM
So any reports by owners/users of this new camcorder?

Graham Bernard
January 7th, 2018, 11:36 AM
It would appear not, Don. Oh, and BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR DON!

Don Palomaki
February 4th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Another month later, and still no user reports?

Graham Bernard
February 4th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Yeah, gotta think.

Do you think it’s case of letting go the video camera format and going with a Stills camera?

Don Palomaki
February 5th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Don't know. I've shot some video with still cameras, and was not comfortable with the ergonomics or the audio. And adding the necessary XLR inputs, etc. would make the ergonomics that much worse.

Its attraction is 4K and the large sensor for more DOF control. Perhaps that is too much of a niche market at this time to draw buyers who would post here.

Graham Bernard
February 5th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Don't know. I've shot some video with still cameras, and was not comfortable with the ergonomics or the audio. And adding the necessary XLR inputs, etc. would make the ergonomics that much worse.Agreed. I put this forward as being the decision making process for those who hadn’t tried a Video Cammie before. Have you seen the new SONY RX10 Mk4. Single lens with 24mm to 600mm zoom and of course 4k. And it has 3 rings?

Its attraction is 4K and the large sensor for more DOF control. Perhaps that is too much of a niche market at this time to draw buyers who would post here. Agreed. I think people are transitioning more towards the Camera and away from the Video Camera.

Don Palomaki
February 7th, 2018, 05:11 PM
And few ratings posted to vendor sites: e.g., B&H. Looks like Canon may have blown it, at least by giving it the XF name when it really is more of an XA series in terms of features, etc. It is appears to not be meeting many users expectations at its price point.

I was considering one, but the lack of user chatter about it is a turn-off. I do not need 4K at this time, and probably will not for a year or two at least.

Graham Bernard
February 8th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Looks like Canon may have blown it, at least by giving it the XF name when it really is more of an XA series in terms of features, etc. It is appears to not be meeting many users expectations at its price point.I'm really at a loss to understand just what Canon's marketing strategy is? It appears they are being lead by the nose by the bean-counters. Well, if they are then somebody needs to get a grip FAST! - But hey Don, they sell stunning lenses at ALL levels. Maybe Canon should just get out of the video market and concentrate on their core business - Lenses twisting onto their or somebody elses Camera Bodies?

I was considering one, but the lack of user chatter about it is a turn-off. I do not need 4K at this time, and probably will not for a year or two at least.Everybody needs 4k - it's a stunning look and great for post. But yeah - I get yah....

As I said before, if only to reflect/determine a company's strategy, do look at that SONY RX10 Mk4. For £1,800 you get 3 rings; 4k; slomo; tons and tons of user features; massive amounts of focus points; a touch screen allowing for instant shallow DoF activity; 25x Optical . . . the list is enormous - oh yeah: Focal Length (35mm equiv) for Digital Compact Cameras/Lenses24-600mm - eh??!

But here's the thing: It's a Bridge Camera. It's a Point and Shoot and has features that this Canon and the company most be wetting themselves over AND IT IS still a Bridge camera, for the entry level and the Pro user needing that grab-it and run option. Oh yeah, it's also a stills camera - but also does 4k video. Oh, did I say it has 3 Rings?

Why, in all that's innovative and revenue generating, would a purchaser be even contemplating this Canon offering, when there is this SONY? See the list here: https://www.jessops.com/p/sony/cyber-shot-rx10-iv-digital-camera-129912?gclid=CjwKCAiA5OrTBRBlEiwAXXhT6EIkleafHj9oCcgXPh99dmni51ZdL-tg6sbvPweQv2J56RqHQYfMEhoCMz8QAvD_BwE

I was once ruefully told by a professional video cameraman: "Canon? Don't they make photocopiers?"

Mark Watson
February 8th, 2018, 02:47 AM
I'm really at a loss to understand just what Canon's marketing strategy is? ...

Same type of question came up when they unleashed the 6D MKII.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/534319-canon-6d-mkii-2000-full-frame-rebel.html

So slow to implement 4K or HFR. And do they even have anything in the action camera area? GoPros have been around for over ten years and now even Polaroid has something out there. Not sure what it is, but it's small, cube-shaped. I gave up trying to reverse engineer their product development decision-making process. Buy the camera that comes closest to ticking all the boxes.

Graham Bernard
February 8th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Buy the camera that comes closest to ticking all the boxes.Wasn't that the basis of the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young offering? "Love the one you're with" But I suppose its a case of Canon to tick the oppositions boxes? Mark, have you checked out that SONY?

Mark Watson
February 8th, 2018, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure which Sony you're referring to. My latest acquisition was a Sony PXW-Z90. I have been playing around with it, doing a little testing. My first "modern" video camera was a Panasonic. Then I went with Canon. Got the HV30, XL-H1A, XF305. Also got the XTi (400D), 50D, 7D, 6D. Somewhere I got a few GoPros and still have the Hero 3, 4 and 6. Waited for Canon to come out with a 4K video camera with HFR. Gave up, got the Sony FDR-AX100 and loved it. In 2015 I got a PXW-FS7. Then AX33, AX53 (2 each), then a second AX100, then five each of the FDR-X3000, a RX100 MKIV, and last month the Z90. If you're referring to the Sony RM-30BP Lanc Remote, no I didn't get one. I saw one in a camera shop up in Tokyo and had a play with it, didn't like it at all. Button action was like a cheap calculator and buttons too small. I'd have to look down at it to see what I was doing. The Canon version is $2,000 and looks much nicer, probably has nicer buttons, but it doesn't look practical for using as a pan handle mounted remote. Oh, and it's $2,000.

Al Bergstein
February 9th, 2018, 01:24 AM
I’ve been following this thread for a while, waiting for some real world users to comment on it. That we are here in Feb 18 with no chatter is very telling. I sold my XF305 (the best 2k video camera I ever used) last year as well as my C100 and all my Canon still cameras and lenses. I am now all Panasonic GH5. Why? Because all I wanted from Canon was the real 4k upgrade of the xf305. Maybe give us C100 users a reasonable upgrade tradein. What did they do? First, come late to the party. Secondly, produce an XA upgrade rather than an XF upgrade. Then price the C200 out of sight. Sorry, I already owned and sold an XA105 and it was not even close to being a XF300. Watching the videos about the xf400 I can’t imagine buying one. I have XLRs on my GH5 with a simple plug on module. I can actually change lenses, shoot anamorphic, shoot super slow motion, etc. I have about the same bad low light performance, though I can buy a second body called a GH5S and get low light performance. Is the GH5 better? No. But it’s damn good in many ways. You can go view a thousand videos that say why.

It’s sad. I spent many thousands of dollars on Canon gear since 2010. All now sold. Not because my needs changed radically but because Canon did not deliver to those modest changes. Maybe I am not representative of todays shooters, I admit to being old school. But many of the comments here seem to point to others who wanted just simple upgrade paths to both the XF line and 5D.

It’s funny, I started this HD shooting on a Panny HMC150. It was a radical breakthrough product, along with the AF100. They lost the mark too, and I moved to Canon. Somehow Panny decided that their still cameras were the way forward. They listened to their customers and built amazing products for the price point. Now I’m back where I started. And the only guys that got rich were the B&H’s of the world. Same as it ever was. Reminds me of the gold rush. Only Seattle merchants got rich supplying the miners.

I really think Canon is no longer steering their ship towards the mark. They ought to listen to their users. Or maybe I’m no longer representative of their users. Whatever. Best of luck. It’s been fun while it lasted.

Bob Safay
February 9th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I concur. To me the XF400 is a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping for a true upgrade to the XF300. Maybe an XF600. All I want is an XF300 that shoots 4K at 4:2:2 at 50 Mbps. I do not need or want CFAST cards or RAW. Just 4K in a XF300 body. Bob

Don Palomaki
February 10th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Maybe there will be more in time for NAB?

James Redmond
February 18th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Hi! I have a XF405. I've had it for about 2 months. I also own an XF305, XF105 and Sony FS7.

It is a strange camera. Because it is called an XF you would think it would be similar and for a professional market however it is more of a consumer camera.

Things I do not like:
1. I am using the XF405 sometimes through a Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio HD switcher. I have Canon XF-105, 305 no problem. With the XF405 the ATEM switcher does not see the camera when I have the program out of the switch to 1920x1080i 59.97 (it's the frame rate I need to see laptops with).

With the 105 and 305, I have the frame rate set to 30p. with the 405 I tried all the options and I cannot see it. It does not have 30p, but 29.97p, 59.94p and 23.98p.

Canon representative response: Regarding the switcher: the XF405 does not output segmented frames (PsF), only progressive frames (no interlacing). As of today, Canon does not plan on changing that with this model.

2. You cannot change the name of the video file plus sometimes it resets back to MVI_0000. On my last shoot, it would start naming the file the same as an earlier one. Very confusing. Plus if I was to get two cameras they will be creating the same file names. Not good.

3. On the bottom of the camera there are no holes to mount the plate for a Canon TA100. My XF105, 305 has them, 405 does not. I have all my camera use the same tripod mount so any camera can easily file onto any tripod (except for this 405!).

4. When you have a tripod mount on, you cannot get to the release lever for the battery. It is on the BOTTOM of the camera. You have to take off the tripod plate to release the battery.

5. You have to get into the menu to adjust iris and gain. Not buttons on the side of the camera.

6. The SDI output seems to have about a 4 frame delay from the audio. Will have to check more into this. I use my 405 through a switcher.

7. If you have a memory card in slot B (and one not in A), it will not start recording. Acts if you have no memory. I am always taking the memory out to copy and then have to remember to move the B into A to get it to work.

The good things about the camera, very good in low light with gain kicked up. No noise. Small. Autofocus for the most part works well (I shoot mainly presentations).

I've been trying to fins someone to create a tripod plate spacer that will give me the 4 screws I need to us it with the TA-100 tripod plate and raise it so you can get to the battery release.

It depends upon your needs whether this camera is right for you. I will probably keep it, even though it is very disappointing with all these little things.

Graham Bernard
February 19th, 2018, 01:00 AM
Where, oh where, is our great Canon going? Maybe they wish to return to making photocopiers? Oh, BTW, does anybody still purchase photocopiers? No? Hmmm.? My trusty, superb XF300 would seem to be where Canon topped-out. Regarding the reactions of our loyal Canon colleague in the last post, kinda indicates that their R&D Dept is more r&d, meaning, downsized.

Do I want a 4K, fully featured XF-ed XF? Hell yes! Do I need 4K for paid work? Hell no. And so, maybe Canon know this and presently are squeezing the last bit of juice and are content to move on. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Yeah, and it’s only business.

Sad...

Don Palomaki
February 19th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Whats in a name?. Had Canon called it the XA-400 more folks would likely have fewer gripes for many are based on expectations created by the earlier XF series. The lack of comments on the consumer variant VIXIA GX10 is telling.

Not many reviews on B&H either.

Dan Brockett
May 30th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Following up this thread. We have been using three XF-405s side by side with our C200 and C300 MKII to shoot a documentary of women outrigger racing. This involves shooting video from the front of a bouncing, bucking 18' Boston Whaler on rough ocean with 10-15' swells. We were trying to shoot these races with the C200 and C300 MKII and the cameras were not idea for that application. So the C300 MKII and C200 stay on shore, shooting post race interviews and b-roll, while the XF-405s are out on the chase boats on the ocean for hours at a time.

Some observations, based upon a lot of the subjects in this thread.

1. There is no waveform. Our camera ops are not happy about that. There is the typical Canon exposure meter though and there are zebras, two sets. Peaking works. DPAF is quite good and I like how the face detection can be on at the same time as the normal AF, as you know, you have to choose between on or the other on the C200. Between putting the Hoodman H400 on the LCDs and upping the luminance and brightness, we are getting overall decent exposure when shooting in bright daylight. Not ideal, but it works.

2. The battery release on the bottom isn't the optimal design. Fortunately for us, we are shooting handheld, so it's not an issue. Also, if you have a tripod with a smaller QR plate, like our Sachtlers, you just pop the camera off of the head to change the battery, not a big deal. They should have made it a side release but they didn't. If you use the longer Manfrotto or Miller plates, then it's a PITA, you do have to loosen the plate to release the battery. Only an issue for certain people.

3. The user mappable knob is mapped to manual iris. Works great, the iris is right where it should be, near the lens.

4. It's cool that you map the handle lens servo and the grip lens servo to different zoom speeds. I cradle the camera from underneath with my left hand, use my right hand on the handle and shove the camera into my chest, giving me three points of contact. Paired with the internal IS, I can get pretty steady shots at long focal lengths.

5. The lens hood with the built in lens cap is really good for us. When I switching lenses on a rocking boat with the bigger cameras. doing the lens cap dance is always a pain. Just bring able to flip the lens hood in and out is very helpful.

6. When the camera is switched to WDR, it adds 9dB of gain. No way to defeat that other than to shoot standard color profile but we are shooting WDR to match the C200/300 MKII better. Not a big deal for us but if shooting indoors, something to be aware of.

7. The camera basically looks like our C200 shooting .MP4. Which is a pretty good looking signal.Really liking shooting 4K 60p at 150 Mbps on a camera this small and light.

8. Menus are a combination of typical Canon C series and a consumer camera. There are some functions you can do on a C-series camera that you cannot here, but overall, easily navigable and make sense for the most part.

9. Audio is good quality, XLR block on handle is typical Canon, easy to use and figure out. We aren't using the camera for interviews but it would work well for that other than too much DOF for a lot of people's taste. 1" imager is a good compromise on a camera like this.

10. The two lens ring design could bug some people. I pretty much am using the servo to change FOV and mostly DPAF so it is fine for me. But if you are used to a three ring setup, might bug you.

11. Two SD card slots are nice, we have been duplicate recording which is a good safety thing on a fast paced and challenging environment like we are shooting in.

12. EVF is tiny, but usable. Wish it was the larger size.

Overall, so far, the XF-405 is proving to be a great solution for our documentary. It's not the camera that will satisfy every Canon user but overall, it's pretty solid. If they added waveform, side release battery and perhaps C-Log, I would buy one. But as it is, we are using them for the remainder of the year to shoot our boat footage. I have not used them in low light so I cannot comment on how it performs in that situation. But in action sports, shooting from a boat, the XF-405 has proven to be very handy for our production challenges.We could have gone for a Sony or Panasonic but then matching footage between the boat cameras and our shore A and B cameras would not be fun.

For any of you in this thread, if you have specific questions, fire away, we've been shooting with three this year so far and will be shooting with them through the end of the year.

Don Palomaki
June 1st, 2018, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the informative post!

If you have a chance to try it in poor light please share you impression of the results.

Mike Meyerson
August 5th, 2018, 12:05 PM
I've been looking into possibly buying an XF400/405 for a smallish, run-and-gun, easy to travel with camera. I was able to get one for a couple weeks to try out. It takes a little getting used to. I really wish it was closer to xf100 or 200 in terms of buttons and menu and really wish it had 4.2.2 internally. Wish the iris was controllable on the lens ring and not programmable to the little tiny dial (which takes some digging to figure out how to do). It also seems like it takes forever to power up…and it doesn’t come with an external battery charger, you have to plug the camera in to charge (come on, really?)

That being said, image quality looks very good, and I like the lens. I have to play with the touch-screen AF a bit more to get comfortable with it, but from what I’ve seen in some demo videos, it does work well.

I was worried about having to remove the tripod plate to change batteries, I use a manfrotto plate (for 501 series heads) and it’s small enough (barely), so that’s not really an issue for me. Another complaint I’ve read is that if you record externally, you cannot also record internally at the same time…it seems to work fine for me (on a ninja blade)…you just set it to record internally in the menu, but leave the Rec Command and HDMI timecode activated (maybe this was fixed in a firmware update, I don’t know).

Trying to decide between the xf400 and the Sony Z90. The Canon seems to get a lot of hate, while the Sony seems to get a lot of love (unfortunately, I don’t think I can get my hands on the Sony to really try it out). If you dig deeper, the Sony seems to have some annoyances as well. From what I’ve gathered reading and watching videos….is that the Canon has a better lens, softer/more cine look to the footage (Sony’s looks much sharper, almost too sharp), Sony has a few more buttons, but the menu is clunky, Canon has better AF and IS while Sony has more profile options, internal 4.2.2/10bit etc….

At this point, I’m leaning towards the Canon (mainly because I also own a C100 and the footage matches up pretty closely). It’s not a perfect camera, but at this price point and size, I don’t think there are any perfect options.