View Full Version : Yi 4K (not 4K+) Some advice needed please.

Roger Gunkel
September 25th, 2017, 05:34 AM
I bought the Yi 4K camera a couple of weeks ago rather than the 4K+ version as I didn't need the extras and the general technical spec was very similar with the exception of the earlier processor, GPS and higher 4K frame rate, none of which I needed. I am generally pleased with the overall performance of the camera compared with my GoPros and SJ4000s with one exception. Neither my 4K LG tv or my editing system Magix Media Edit Pro 7 will play any of the files from the camera. Magix will normally play absolutely anything and I frequently mix 4K footage from my Panny cams with HD footage. With footage from the Yi, Magix just locks up, although Windows media player will play it. The LG tv comes up with a message that says 'unplayable Format'.

Although the files show as MP4, I don't understand why they are not recognised by Magix or the LG, the 4K+ seems to use the same codecs . Has anyone else had this problem with the Yi or can suggest a solution?

Roger

Mark Rosenzweig
September 26th, 2017, 01:17 PM
I bought the Yi 4K camera a couple of weeks ago rather than the 4K+ version as I didn't need the extras and the general technical spec was very similar with the exception of the earlier processor, GPS and higher 4K frame rate, none of which I needed. I am generally pleased with the overall performance of the camera compared with my GoPros and SJ4000s with one exception. Neither my 4K LG tv or my editing system Magix Media Edit Pro 7 will play any of the files from the camera. Magix will normally play absolutely anything and I frequently mix 4K footage from my Panny cams with HD footage. With footage from the Yi, Magix just locks up, although Windows media player will play it. The LG tv comes up with a message that says 'unplayable Format'.

Although the files show as MP4, I don't understand why they are not recognised by Magix or the LG, the 4K+ seems to use the same codecs . Has anyone else had this problem with the Yi or can suggest a solution?

Roger

Yup, Magix Vegas Pro 15 cannot deal with the Yi 4K+ files. Magix Vegas Pro 14 (as well as Sony Vegas Pro 13) can.

I have communicated with Magix directly about this, including uplodaing to them an original file, and they promise a future update will fix it. You should communicate with Magix about the problem.

Roger Gunkel
September 26th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I will be uploading a file to Magix at some point to put a bit more pressure on them, just been too busy over the last few days. I have found that Handbrake will convert files very quickly into a recognised format, but unfortunately only up to 1080. That's ok at the moment as I am outputting to 1080, but it precludes me from editing in 4K and cropping down.

Hopefully Magix will get it sorted reasonably quickly.

Roger