View Full Version : XLH1s with Blackmagic Video Assist.

Owen Dawe
September 25th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Any one out there still using the xlh1s. I attached the Blackmagic Video Assist monitor and recorder. It's working well.

Mark Watson
September 27th, 2017, 04:45 AM
Okay, but you didn't mention your asking price.

Seriously, how's it look compared to the tape quality? What codec/bit rate are you using?

I wish I'd gotten the s rather than the a, but it was a whole $3k more and at that time I didn't quite understand what a "Jackpack" was. (internet said it was something you can get for your friends who are in prison).

Glad to hear someone is still putting that camera to use.

Kurt Franz
February 27th, 2018, 05:49 AM
i recently sold my entire camcorder museum
sony pdx10
sony pd150
canon xl2
sony trv730

and bought an xlh1 for $500
i really liked the xl2 and had a lot of accessories which i can leverage with the xlh1 such as the 3x and 14x lenses, ef zoom lens the ef adapter batteries, charger, case, datavideo dn60,
so now i am at least at current 2006 technology levels and can still zoom in on birds and can now create videos that will look decent on my 65 inch hdtv😀

so yes there is still a dinosaur out there using one. i have no need for anything better than this setup as i am an amateur hack anyways.

cheers

Don Palomaki
February 27th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Just a thought.

While the XL2 lenses may fit the XLH1 they likely were designed with the lower resolution (720 vs the 1440 horizontal pixels of HDV) of DV in mind, and thus might not take full advantage of the higher resolution available with HDV. This is due to optical anti-aliasing built into the lenses. However, it if meets you needs no problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_anti-aliasing
provides an interesting article related to the subject, with some examples.

Note this sort of issue was also a concern when the XL1 came out. Folks complained that their Canon L2 (Hi-8) lenses wouldn't mount on the XL1. At there time there was the double whammy of a smaller sensor (1/3" vs. 1/2") as well as the horizontal resolution. (~520 vs. ~400 video lines) that would have resulted in a less than satisfactory result for most users and applications due to the optical anti-aliasing and changes in field of view.