View Full Version : Lectrosonics transmitter/receiver

Kathy Smith
October 7th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Hi,

I'd like to buy Lectrosonics wireless portable transmitter and receiver. I was looking at the Micro Belt-Pack Transmitter and LR - L-Series Wireless Receiver. I'm not sure if I'm sacrificing anything with the Micro transmitter and would be better off getting one of the other transmitters. Is there something better than Lectrosonics? I'm not concerned about the cost, I want something of high quality and dependibility. Can someone give me some guidance here. I normally use a cable and I know that's the best but once in a while I have to use a wireless system, so it would be great to have something that is as close to cable as possible.

Thanks
Kathy

Rick Reineke
October 7th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I don't have any of the L-Series Lectros, but aside from the lower battery economy my SM TXs seem on par with the larger U400. I occasionally rent a Zaxcom system with the TRX recording transmitter (w/ never clip). It's not miniature, but it's the only recording Tx on the market AFAIK. Zaxcom's new ZMT3 Tx is is worthy of checking out, which is small to the extreme. The trouble with small devices, they get lost more often and you have to fight with production for replacements. I really like the Zax and am contemplating getting rid of my Lectros in favor of the Zax,. Unfortunately, funds are an issue for me.

Kathy Smith
October 7th, 2017, 02:28 PM
I don't have any of the L-Series Lectros, but aside from the lower battery economy my SM TXs seem on par with the larger U400. I occasionally rent a Zaxcom system with the TRX recording transmitter (w/ never clip). It's not miniature, but it's the only recording Tx on the market AFAIK. Zaxcom's new ZMT3 Tx is is worthy of checking out, which is small to the extreme. The trouble with small devices, they get lost more often and you have to fight with production for replacements. I really like the Zax and am contemplating getting rid of my Lectros in favor of the Zax,. Unfortunately, funds are an issue for me.
Thanks, I just looked at Zaxcom, very interesting, about the same price as Lectrosonics but many more features. But which receiver could I use with it? Maybe I don't understand something but they only have one small receiver ERX3TCD, but how do you connect it to the recorder?

Rick Reineke
October 7th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Most their current receivers and transmitters are compatible. I recall, I had the two channel version of the RS900.
"but how do you connect it to the recorder?"
The back up recorder is build into the Tx. If the Rx loses signal (out of range or interference) The recorded track/ file can be substituted or layed back in post. The files also have a TC stamp, so it's allegedly quick and easy.. On the projects I used it on, I didn't needed Tx audio files, so I never actually did it.
Glenn and the Zaxcom folks will be at the at the JJ Convention Ctr for the AES show. Visit them for more info. I think you can still get free AES exhibit passes, if you haven't already. Zax HQ is also close by in Pompton Plains (Jersey that is).

Kathy Smith
October 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Most their current receivers and transmitters are compatible. I recall, I had the two channel version of the RS900.
"but how do you connect it to the recorder?"
The back up recorder is build into the Tx. If the Rx loses signal (out of range or interference) The recorded track/ file can be substituted or layed back in post. The files also have a TC stamp, so it's allegedly quick and easy.. On the projects I used it on, I didn't needed Tx audio files, so I never actually did it.
Glenn and the Zaxcom folks will be at the at the JJ Convention Ctr for the AES show. Visit them for more info. I think you can still get free AES exhibit passes, if you haven't already. Zax HQ is also close by in Pompton Plains (Jersey that is).
I didn't mean the back up recorder, how do I connect it to my main recorder?

Rick Reineke
October 8th, 2017, 08:10 AM
"how do I connect it to my main recorder?"
- Just like any other wireless mic.

Kathy Smith
October 8th, 2017, 08:42 AM
"how do I connect it to my main recorder?"
- Just like any other wireless mic.
I didn't mean how to connect the mic. How do I connect the receiver to my audio recorder. Maybe the images they have on their website don't show the connection? See the attachment. Is the connection on the bottom? The image shows the top.

Rick Reineke
October 8th, 2017, 11:28 AM
If that's the ERX3TCD TC/IFB receiver, it is more for monitoring an audio mix and displays/outputs LTC. Good for a scripty, general IFB duties or a cam hop for instance. It has one 1/8" stereo unbalanced audio out (HP jack) which 'could' be used to feed a recorder, though it's HP impedance (32ohm) and level. Not Ideal for feeding a +4 line level balanced input.

Kathy Smith
October 8th, 2017, 12:48 PM
If that's the ERX3TCD TC/IFB receiver, it is more for monitoring an audio mix and displays/outputs LTC. Good for a scripty, general IFB duties or a cam hop for instance. It has one 1/8" stereo unbalanced audio out (HP jack) which 'could' be used to feed a recorder, though it's HP impedance (32ohm) and level. Not Ideal for feeding a +4 line level balanced input.
Well, I don't see anything else that's small and portable. Do they not make a receiver that can be taken into a field?

Rick Reineke
October 8th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Sure, Zaxcom makes portable receivers, but not small enough to mount on a DSLR. The Lectro LR looks nice, it's about the size of a portable G3, a little flatter maybe. No recording transmitters though, at least until a loophole is found for the Zax recording-transmitter patent.

Kathy Smith
October 9th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Sure, Zaxcom makes portable receivers, but not small enough to mount on a DSLR. The Lectro LR looks nice, it's about the size of a portable G3, a little flatter maybe. No recording transmitters though, at least until a loophole is found for the Zax recording-transmitter patent.

Now, I got all hooked on Zaxcom but they don't have a receiver I need :(. Crazy question, can their transmitter work with another brand receiver?

Rick Reineke
October 9th, 2017, 07:52 AM
" can their transmitter work with another brand receiver?"
- in this case, I would not think so.
However, some of the analog systems can be (tuned to the same freq), if the pilot tones and companders are disabled. For instance, I've used Comtek and ListenTech IFBs together, i.e. Comtec Tx with multiple Comtek and ListenTech Rx.

Paul Cronin
October 9th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Kathy,

I would highly recommend the L- Series from Lectrosonic. I have a set, and have also had their SR dual receiver, and SMqv transmitters. The L Series is in my opinion easier to use and has not failed me. You should use a quality mic like the Sanken COS 11d.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I will be happy to help.

Kathy Smith
October 9th, 2017, 09:43 AM
" can their transmitter work with another brand receiver?"
- in this case, I would not think so.
However, some of the analog systems can be (tuned to the same freq), if the pilot tones and companders are disabled. For instance, I've used Comtek and ListenTech IFBs together, i.e. Comtec Tx with multiple Comtek and ListenTech Rx.
OK, ohh well, maybe I'll go to the AES show and see what's out there.

Kathy Smith
October 9th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Kathy,

I would highly recommend the L- Series from Lectrosonic. I have a set, and have also had their SR dual receiver, and SMqv transmitters. The L Series is in my opinion easier to use and has not failed me. You should use a quality mic like the Sanken COS 11d.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I will be happy to help.
I do have Sanken COS-11D and I'm actually thinking of upgrading perhaps to one of the DPA D:screet microphones. Not sure if it makes sense as I'm recording straight to the camera so not sure if having a "better" mic will make any difference.

Rick Reineke
October 9th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Switching from the Sanken to a 'better' mic would be negligible at best. An external preamp would help more if your plugging it direct to cam. An MixPre or MM1 for instance.

BTW, the Zaxcom RS200 Rx is pretty compact @ 1.0″ x 3.5″ x 3.5″. The RS900 Rx that I've used was plenty small enough for a bag, about 5"x3" (or 4)" as I recall.

Kathy Smith
October 9th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Switching from the Sanken to a 'better' mic would be negligible at best. An external preamp would help more if your going direct to the cam. An MixPre or MM1 for instance.
Thanks. I guess I'll stick with my Sankens but I can't add a preamp to my set up (I mean I can but don't want to, willing to sacrifice the quality).

Bruce Watson
October 9th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll stick with my Sankens but I can't add a preamp to my set up (I mean I can but don't want to, willing to sacrifice the quality).

Then you are sacrificing a lot more audio quality than exists between a Sanken Cos-11D and a DPA 4060, so changing mics won't fix your problem.

The weak link in just about any record-to-camera workflow is the mic preamps in the camera. Any camera. None of the in-camera micpres are as good as the bottom end SD mixers. And you can get a used MixPre-D for very little these days, and it's designed for your stated workflow (camera as recorder).

But if you don't want it, you don't want it. You know your situation better than anyone.

Kathy Smith
October 9th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Then you are sacrificing a lot more audio quality than exists between a Sanken Cos-11D and a DPA 4060, so changing mics won't fix your problem.

The weak link in just about any record-to-camera workflow is the mic preamps in the camera. Any camera. None of the in-camera micpres are as good as the bottom end SD mixers. And you can get a used MixPre-D for very little these days, and it's designed for your stated workflow (camera as recorder).

But if you don't want it, you don't want it. You know your situation better than anyone.

I don't really have a problem, and that's right, I know my situation so I will stick with what I have but add a good quality wireless receiver/transmitter for those situations when I really have to use it.

Thanks

Kathy Smith
October 9th, 2017, 04:40 PM
One more question is it possible to use two transmitters but just one receiver?

Bernie Beaudry
October 9th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Well, I don't see anything else that's small and portable. Do they not make a receiver that can be taken into a field?
The Zaxcom QRX 200 is a dual channel receiver for in the bag. You can receive two separate transmitters with this unit. They don't make a single channel unit that I'm aware of. The ERX is for listening and/or sending scratch track with or without time code. I have a Zaxcom Nomad but have Lectrosonic LR/LTs. I do use ERXs because the Nomad has a built in transmitter for them.
If you have any questions about the LR/LTs I'd be happy to answer them.

Bernie Beaudry
October 9th, 2017, 08:04 PM
One more question is it possible to use two transmitters but just one receiver?
Yes, if its a two channel receiver like the Lectro SRC, Lectro SRa or SRb, or the Zaxcom QRX 200.

Rick Reineke
October 10th, 2017, 09:20 AM
OTOH, it's common to use multiple receivers with one transmitter. i,e; hopping audio to more than one camera, but not the other way around with single channel wireless systems.

... It should be noted though, the 'one Tx, multiple Rx' scenario will NOT work with the new WiFi band GHz systems, like the Sennheiser AVX, RODE filmmaker, AT System 10, ect.

David Peterson
October 11th, 2017, 05:31 AM
Zaxcom makes a miniature transmitter, the ZMT3.

Zaxcom ZMT3 miniature transmitter announced: get two, you might lose one - Newsshooter (http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/06/zaxcom-zmt3-transmitter-announced/)

Also, every one should watch this (BEST ADVERT EVER! Well, for wireless at least):

Team Zaxcom - Defenders of the Airwaves on Vimeo

Paul Cronin
October 11th, 2017, 05:41 AM
Cool unit, but best avert ever? Not for me, I could not get through it.

David Peterson
October 11th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Well most adverts for pro wireless are pretty dry affairs!

This one has some humor to it :-D

Kathy Smith
October 12th, 2017, 06:43 PM
OTOH, it's common to use multiple receivers with one transmitter. i,e; hopping audio to more than one camera, but not the other way around with single channel wireless systems.

... It should be noted though, the 'one Tx, multiple Rx' scenario will NOT work with the new WiFi band GHz systems, like the Sennheiser AVX, RODE filmmaker, AT System 10, ect.
Well, sometimes I have two speakers and record to one camera so I need two receivers and it's not very convenient.

Kathy Smith
October 12th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Zaxcom makes a miniature transmitter, the ZMT3.

Zaxcom ZMT3 miniature transmitter announced: get two, you might lose one - Newsshooter (http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/06/zaxcom-zmt3-transmitter-announced/)

Also, every one should watch this (BEST ADVERT EVER! Well, for wireless at least):

Team Zaxcom - Defenders of the Airwaves on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/201137183)

Yes, I saw that transmitter, I just can't find a small receiver.

Bernie Beaudry
October 13th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Yes, I saw that transmitter, I just can't find a small receiver.
https://zaxcom.com/products/qrx200/
Lectrosonics Introduces the SMWB and SMDWB Wideband Transmitters (http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/lectrosonics-introduces-the-smwb-and-smdwb-wideband-transmitters.html)
SRb Series (http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/Categories-listing/product/2-sr-series.html)
SRc Dual Channel Slot Mount ENG Receiver (http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/SRc/product.html)
All of these require external power but there are battery options available. Sony makes a dual channel receiver for $700 that works with their inexpensive transmitter.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259502-REG/sony_urx_p03d_42_urx_p03d_two_channel_portable_receiver.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=5980&fct=fct_type_1369%7cbodypack-w-microphone&N=4232860122
Sony also makes some higher end dual channel receivers and transmitters but are slot in units that can be adapted for stand alone use.
And here's a set with two tx: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1302936-REG/sony_2_channel_portable_receiver_with.html

Kathy Smith
October 14th, 2017, 12:59 PM
https://zaxcom.com/products/qrx200/
Lectrosonics Introduces the SMWB and SMDWB Wideband Transmitters (http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/lectrosonics-introduces-the-smwb-and-smdwb-wideband-transmitters.html)
SRb Series (http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/Categories-listing/product/2-sr-series.html)
SRc Dual Channel Slot Mount ENG Receiver (http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/SRc/product.html)
All of these require external power but there are battery options available. Sony makes a dual channel receiver for $700 that works with their inexpensive transmitter.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259502-REG/sony_urx_p03d_42_urx_p03d_two_channel_portable_receiver.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=5980&fct=fct_type_1369%7cbodypack-w-microphone&N=4232860122
Sony also makes some higher end dual channel receivers and transmitters but are slot in units that can be adapted for stand alone use.
And here's a set with two tx: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1302936-REG/sony_2_channel_portable_receiver_with.html
I meant I can't find a small receiver for the Zaxcom transmitter, one that I can attach to the camera.

Bernie Beaudry
October 16th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I meant I can't find a small receiver for the Zaxcom transmitter, one that I can attach to the camera.

This is the size of the Zaxcom QRX200 1.25″ x 3.25″ x 5.25″. Then of course you would have to add a battery to power it. Are you looking for something that can attach via a cold shoe adaptor? I don't know what camera you use. You could get a cold shoe plate and velcro it to that and then attach to your camera. If the size is in the ball park you just need to get creative to figure out a way to attach it and power it. This is a two channel unit so when you need to add a second tx you're good to go.

Kathy Smith
October 21st, 2017, 09:01 AM
I use Canon C100. Yes, I was hoping to use something I could just use in a shoe plate. I went to the AES Convention and did see both the Lectros and the Zaxcoms. Between these two I want the Zaxcom. I'm not sure how I would power the receiver though even if I found a way to mount it on the camera.
I have not heard about Wisycom before but I'm reading good thing about them. Does anyone have any experience with Wysicom and could compare it to Zaxcom?

Bernie Beaudry
October 21st, 2017, 09:35 AM
Do you use the internal battery with your camera or do you use a standard AB or V mount brick along with a rig? You could do a D-Tap cable to the receiver if the battery had a D-tap.

It would make for a slightly taller package but you could do a fairly small Lithium Ion rechargeable battery pack that could stack on top of the receiver.

Wisycom is another excellent choice but I think Zaxcom is the only brand that records along with transmission.

Kathy Smith
October 21st, 2017, 09:49 AM
I'm using internal camera battery. I feel like this is becoming a bit complicated. I wonder if I should rethink the whole set up and instead of recording to the camera I should simply get a good quality portable recorder, attach the Zaxcom receiver to it and I can perhaps have it all in over the shoulder bag, but that still leaves me with an issue of powering the Zaxcom receiver.
Could I use Zaxcom RX200?

Bernie Beaudry
October 22nd, 2017, 08:08 PM
Putting a recorder/mixer into a bag would give you a higher quality recording and more flexibility. Yes you could use the RX200 in that set up easily. With a central battery and power distribution box you could power the recorder and the receiver. Its a common set up for location sound bags. My system is a Zaxcom Nomad recorder/mixer plus four Lectro LR receivers and some other items and its all powered by a single Lithium Polymer battery. There are many other battery choices as well. Sound Devices just came out with three nice lower priced but excellent recorder/ mixers. Just be sure you feed the camera audio so you have a reference track to sync up your audio.
If you need help figuring this all out I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Kathy Smith
October 23rd, 2017, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking of doing this. RX200 is a two channel receiver as well, right? So, I'm thinking of getting Zaxcom RX200, Zaxcom ZMT3, Sound Devices MixPre-3, and if I wanted to upgrade my mic (Sanken COS 11D) I'm thinking of one of DPA d:screet (not sure which one yet). Would there be a a significant improvement if I upgraded my mic, or should I stick with the Sanken? Both Zaxcom RX200 and MixPre-3 can ran on AA so I wouldn't need a battery pack (I can add that later if I find it necessary). How does all of this sound? What bag could I fit all of this in?

Rick Reineke
October 23rd, 2017, 10:28 AM
"RX200 is a two channel receiver as well, right?"
- Yes, I was just looking at the RX200 at AES, according to Glenn, it's more of a stereo cam hop than a two separate channel receiver with two separate Tx/mics.
I don't see any point in 'upgrading' to a more expensive lav, as was addressed previously

Kathy Smith
October 23rd, 2017, 12:25 PM
Sound like I might have to go with QRX200!

Bernie Beaudry
October 23rd, 2017, 05:33 PM
Sound like I might have to go with QRX200!
Not sure why you couldn't use the RX200 for a two channel receiver. It does have internal batteries as you mentioned you wanted to use to start out with. The QRX200 only has external power so you're back to providing an external battery supply.

Kathy Smith
October 23rd, 2017, 08:14 PM
Not sure why you couldn't use the RX200 for a two channel receiver. It does have internal batteries as you mentioned you wanted to use to start out with. The QRX200 only has external power so you're back to providing an external battery supply.
Maybe I misunderstood when Rick said " it's more of a stereo cam hop than a two separate channel receiver with two separate Tx/mics". I thought this means that it's not a two channel unit.

Bernie Beaudry
October 24th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Maybe I misunderstood when Rick said " it's more of a stereo cam hop than a two separate channel receiver with two separate Tx/mics". I thought this means that it's not a two channel unit.
Sorry Zaxcom does things so differently from other manufacturers and Rick is correct its more of a camera link as it doesn't seem to receive from two separate tx like you need but rather just the camera link two channel audio. Could be wrong on that but according to the info on Zaxcom's site that's what's described. So the QRX 200 is what you're looking for. But it doesn't have internal power.
If I were you I'd go to Gotham Sound and have a chat about what you're looking to do and get powering and gear recommendations from them.

Kathy Smith
October 24th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Sorry Zaxcom does things so differently from other manufacturers and Rick is correct its more of a camera link as it doesn't seem to receive from two separate tx like you need but rather just the camera link two channel audio. Could be wrong on that but according to the info on Zaxcom's site that's what's described. So the QRX 200 is what you're looking for. But it doesn't have internal power.
If I were you I'd go to Gotham Sound and have a chat about what you're looking to do and get powering and gear recommendations from them.
Yes, I talked to Gotham Sound and they did tell me what I needed. All good on that. I just need to look at pros and cons of having a separate recorder ve recording straight into the camera. The quality is obvious but I need to think of logistics.

David Peterson
October 25th, 2017, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking of doing this. RX200 is a two channel receiver as well, right? So, I'm thinking of getting Zaxcom RX200, Zaxcom ZMT3, Sound Devices MixPre-3, and if I wanted to upgrade my mic (Sanken COS 11D) I'm thinking of one of DPA d:screet (not sure which one yet). Would there be a a significant improvement if I upgraded my mic, or should I stick with the Sanken? Both Zaxcom RX200 and MixPre-3 can ran on AA so I wouldn't need a battery pack (I can add that later if I find it necessary). How does all of this sound? What bag could I fit all of this in?

For a one man band shooting, ditch the mixpre, and go straight into your C100.

COS-11D is already very good, I wouldn't get a DPA as well. (although having said that.... I own six DPA 4061! But I'm a specialist soundie)

If I was you, I'd consider a Lectrosonics SRc (with NP-F plate) + 2x LT

Kathy Smith
October 26th, 2017, 12:00 PM
For a one man band shooting, ditch the mixpre, and go straight into your C100.

COS-11D is already very good, I wouldn't get a DPA as well. (although having said that.... I own six DPA 4061! But I'm a specialist soundie)

If I was you, I'd consider a Lectrosonics SRc (with NP-F plate) + 2x LT
Thanks David, any reason, other than having extra gear, you would advise me not to get mixpre? And why the Lectros and not the Zaxcom?

Dave Fisk
November 1st, 2017, 07:29 AM
I have the L-Series wireless and like it a lot.

Shoot me an email to davef@dvestore.com and I can help you get dialed in.

Kathy Smith
November 15th, 2017, 07:04 AM
I have the L-Series wireless and like it a lot.

Shoot me an email to davef@dvestore.com and I can help you get dialed in.

Thanks Dave. I decided to hold off on the wireless set for now.

David Peterson
November 19th, 2017, 04:17 AM
Thanks David, any reason, other than having extra gear, you would advise me not to get mixpre? And why the Lectros and not the Zaxcom?

Because when you're a one man band doing directing/camera/sound/lighting all at once, you really need to keep it very simple and fast!

And honestly both Lectrosonics and Zaxcom is very good, although I already own a lot of Lectrosonics gear thus would have compatibility when I go with the SR series.

David Peterson
July 30th, 2018, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I'd like to buy Lectrosonics wireless portable transmitter and receiver. I was looking at the Micro Belt-Pack Transmitter and LR - L-Series Wireless Receiver. I'm not sure if I'm sacrificing anything with the Micro transmitter and would be better off getting one of the other transmitters. Is there something better than Lectrosonics? I'm not concerned about the cost, I want something of high quality and dependibility. Can someone give me some guidance here. I normally use a cable and I know that's the best but once in a while I have to use a wireless system, so it would be great to have something that is as close to cable as possible.

Thanks
Kathy

The Lectrosonics SMM doesn't have the same battery life as their other larger products, also it doesn't use the commonly available AA batteries. So you have some trade offs in exchange for its strength of having extremely small size! Teeny. I want one!

The downsides to the Lectro LR is it is rather unfriendly in bag use compared to use a SRc, so a SRc would *always* be my preference but it depends on how you'll be using it.

Other wideband Lectrosonics transmitters worth considering:

SMDWB (basically the wideband version of their very popular SMQV)

SMWB (the single battery version of the SMDWB, the SMDWB has dual AA batteries and thus the "D" in the name for "Dual")

LT (the low budget companion to the low budget LR receiver, as you can guess "R" = "Reciever" and "T" = "Transmitter", the LT/LR commonly get sold as a pair together)

LMb (the even lower budget version of the LT! You lose the app control over the transmitter which the LT and higher end ones have, and you lose the user replaceable antenna, but otherwise it is fairly similar. And LMb is the one I chose for myself recently due to its low low price)

Other Lectrosonics to consider: welll.... heaps of them! Lectrosonics has been in the business for a long time, so if you're looking for bargains you can find a lot of their older gear at extremely affordable prices on eBay. But they're still top notch wireless gear! I've been buying a lot of my wireless that way.

As for what wireless brands are there outside Lectrosonics which are top notch quality? Again, lots of choices:

Zaxcom, Audio Ltd, Wisycom, etc

I'd say the weakest link by far is having the cameraman doing audio! Rather than someone dedicated to the role.