View Full Version : Converting MOV files from Phantom 4 pro by Cineform or GoPro Studio

Jeff Wisener
October 15th, 2017, 04:53 AM
A few years ago I purchased Cineform to convert my Cannon 7D files from MOV to AVI to use in Vegas software. It worked great.

Now, I purchased a Phantom 4 Pro drone, filmed in MOV format (you get a choice, MOV or MP4) and cannot convert files to AVI using Cineform I purchased or using the free GoPro studio. When I try to convert both of these programs freeze.

I believe the codec options within Phantom 4 pro are H264 or H265. I think mine are set to 264.

Help!!!

Roger Gunkel
October 15th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Hi Jeff,

I am posting this because it could be related. I recently purchased a Yi 4K action cam to use with various other GoPros, Lumix cams etc. When I recorded various formats on the Yi 4k, they froze my editing programme immediately I hit play. Didn't matter whether the clips were 4k, 2.7k or 1080, they would all freeze.

I found that by removing the audio track, the video would play fine and it seems that the audio on the settings I was using was causing the problem. The camera had High, Medium and Low settings for each format and by switching to medium, the problem immediately disappeared. It may well be worth checking ift you are having a similar problem with the Phantom camera. Might be of no use to you but worth checking :-)

Roger

Jeff Wisener
October 15th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Roger, thanks for the input. I turned off the option of audio recording on my drone so I am pretty sure that isn't the issue.

Roger Gunkel
October 16th, 2017, 02:39 AM
Roger, thanks for the input. I turned off the option of audio recording on my drone so I am pretty sure that isn't the issue.

It's just a thought, but turning the audio off at the camera didn't work on my camera as there was still a blank audio track there, it was only when I muted it on the time line or split the clip and removed it completely that it played. Apparently the higher level codec just wasn't readable by my editing programme. Even my LG tv refused to read it even though it plays back any other mp4 that I throw at it.

Roger

Anton Shekhovtsov
October 16th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Maybe you can do the conversion with VirtualDub FilterMod https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod
There is included decoder based on FFmpeg and it can use Cineform codec (vfw).

Christopher Young
October 16th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Help!!!

If you can find a copy, it was a free download, of ClipTools v2.0 this might get you out of trouble.

https://www.toolfarm.com/blog/entry/freebiecliptoolz_convert_v2

It didn't do Cineform but could batch convert to many other codecs and was a pretty useful little tool kit. It could even do 3840x2160 MPEG2 @ 50p which is highly unusual. I recall using it with H.264 input and outputting Avid DNcHD and ProRes with it.

EDIT:

Just tried it with some GH5 H.264 422 10-bit footage that was uploaded by Neumann Films and it even worked with that!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney