View Full Version : UWOL 44 The results

Trond Saetre
October 30th, 2017, 12:37 AM
With only 3 submitted films, (in addition to my unofficial entry), and only 3 votes received, I was seriously wondering if I should announce a winning film or not.
3 good films were submitted, and I know they all worked hard to make their films.
Congratulations to Andrew, Geir Inge and Kevin!

The winning film:
Lessons in life by Kevin J Railsback!

Kevin Railsback
October 30th, 2017, 04:24 AM
There’s four winners in my book.
It’s not easy completing the challenge. Some themes work better for people than others and an idea comes earlier in the process than with other themes.

Even though filmmaking is all of our passions, life throws us all kinds of obstacles.
I’ve not completed challenges because of work, because of weather, because of not having an idea for the theme. I have so many more responsibilities that I didn’t have a few years ago and my filmmaking has suffered because of it.

The UWOL challenge keeps me going out filming at times when I feel I have far too much on my plate and would otherwise keep my cameras in their bags.

The challenge has never been about winning, but about challenging ourselves.
I’ve never thought of it as a competition with other filmmakers but a challenge to myself.

It’s about seeing a theme differently through the eyes of fellow filmmakers. It’s amazing the way themes have been interpreted that I would have never thought of. It’s helped me become a better filmmaker.

Even though you knew the theme Trond, you still had to make a film, knowing the theme ahead of time didn’t make that any easier.

Four films, all winners

Trond Saetre
October 30th, 2017, 04:39 AM
Thanks, Kevin.

The UWOL challenge was initially created as a way to help each and every participant improve their own skills as an outdoors film maker. Throughout the years we have seen a positive development of the players' skills. Very nice!
But the glory of winning a challenge/ competition, is of course also a good motivation factor for many.

There will be some changes starting next challenge about the announcement of winning film, if number of submitted films are low. This will be announced in the signup thread for the next challenge.

Next challenge:

Geir Inge
October 30th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Congratulations to Kevin, also to Andrew and Trond.

LeRoy Gunderson
October 30th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Congratulations everyone! I enjoyed watching all the entries.

Andrew Hood
November 2nd, 2017, 09:21 PM
Well said Kevin. I think motivations can vary for everyone, but focusing on bettering our own work should yield the best results in the long run. It also means focusing on the things you can actually control.
I can also relate to not getting out and doing enough shooting. Although after submitting early October I didn't have time to rework it for the final cutoff - four shoot dates (including prep time making a multi-DC power solution) and a bunch of editing sapped up time pretty quickly.

So well done Kevin and those who finished - it didn't all come together in the original timeline so maybe it's a difficult time of year for a lot of people. Thanks Trond for keeping the home fires burning and making adjustments when needed to help with participation.