View Full Version : Fujinon, please make a MK 12-40mm MFT mount Cine Zoom!

Jack Zhang
November 11th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Honestly, when I learned about the Fujinon MK 18-55, I felt like that was indeed the manual zoom we all desperately need... Except they adapted for Sony mounts and modern Fuji Mirrorless X-mounts only...

So, does anyone want Fujinon to make a affordable cine zoom MK series 12-40? Remember, current 12-35 and 12-40 offerings aren't necessarily parfocal for video. A Fujinon Zoom WOULD be parfocal and full manual, (none of this servo crap in the Panasonic 12-35) and would be a first for the MFT mount. Constant T-stop would also be a plus for this lens.

Who would buy one? Is there enough demand that a petition should be made to Fujifilm to make this lens for the GH5?

The only other option without resorting to making a mount/adapting a mount yourself is getting a 28-80 CZ.2 MFT, and even then you have crop factor to deal with. Not to mention this costs ~7X more than what a Fujinon cine zoom from the MK series would cost.

Another option is to get the MTF MFT mount, but there's still crop factor... (and availability) You can't use a wide angle adapter because they're optimized for 2/3'' image circles at best, so a native 12-40 lens would work better FOV wise than putting a passive adapter on a 18-55. (Though the current 18-55 makes a great telephoto zoom for the GH5 though. ENG news gatherers rejoice!)

https://www.lensadaptor.com/fuji-mk-lens-micro-43-mount

Also, don't be fooled by the MK 10-55 April Fools joke from HDWarrior.

John Vincent
November 12th, 2017, 06:31 PM
I'd settle for a plain old 12-40mm f1.8 constant ap......

Robert Lane
November 13th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Bravo, Jack - rolling shutter is indeed a black plague on true film-making.

Don't know what you're calling cost-effective (same price range as the GH5?) but both Canon and BlackMagic make a true global shutter camera. The Canon is pricey, the BM isn't stable and with exception to going backwards to a P2 camera body we're stuck with "the roll". bleh.

Considering every lens I have for my GH5 is being adapted to MFT (Contax, Nikon, Yashica) I'll *never* purchase a native MFT lens, and can't see any reason why a Fuji or Sony to MFT adapter wouldn't be perfect for that lens.

Nope, we're never going to get the ultra-wide perspective that a Super-35 or full-frame sensor does, but I'm betting that 18-55 T2.9 is a stellar performer. In fact it might become a major player in a new motorsports series I'm producing soon. And if I absolutely need that super-wide perspective I'll just use a GoPro. hahaha

And I'm sure some will ask, "Why never a native MFT lens?" Simple: A full-frame (35mm film) lens on an adapter has much shallower DOF characteristics than the same focal length native-mount MFT lens - more film-like, and a cinematic look has always been my style.