View Full Version : What Plug-on Transmitters have Phantom Power?

Kevin O'Connor
November 11th, 2017, 03:18 PM
I just purchased a match pair of Rode mics (NT5) to use with my Sennheiser (ew 100 G3) plug-on transmitters, but no signal activity with the plug-on. I swear I used these plug-on's with my shot gun mic before but it does not work now either and both NT5's don't work.

Although everything works with phantom power out of my camera via XLR cables.

So I'm guessing that the ew-100-G3 does not provide phantom power, is this correct? If so what wireless plug-on system would you recommend?

Thanks, KPO.

Paul R Johnson
November 11th, 2017, 03:58 PM
EW-500 series is needed, I'm afraid - or an inline Phantom power unit between the transmitter and microphone.

Kevin O'Connor
November 11th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Figures, but I searched on Sennheiser site and it said the EW 300 series has phantom power. I'm guessing the EW 500 is just a different freq range?

What are the in-line XLR phantom power units? THat might get me out a bind for now.

Thanks KPO.

Bruce Watson
November 11th, 2017, 05:35 PM
So I'm guessing that the ew-100-G3 does not provide phantom power, is this correct? If so what wireless plug-on system would you recommend?

The SKP-100-G3 does not supply phantom power. It's designed for dynamic mics like a reporter's stick mic, which doesn't need phantom.

If you need phantom power, you need at least an SKP-300-G3, and of course it has to match the frequency of your kit, or at least the receiver.

Kevin O'Connor
November 11th, 2017, 10:53 PM
First choice; I'm looking at phantom power adapters but I want to use my EW-100-G3 plug-on with the adapter. So far I can't find a battery powered phantom power adapter that has the XLR ports spaced far enough apart to connect two plug-on's side by side.

My camera is too far away from the mics to use XLR cable that is why I'm trying to make WiFi work.

Second choice; purchase two EW-300-G3. Although I didn't want to purchase two more EW-300 receivers as well. I guessing that EW-300 and EW-100 components are not compatible even though they are G3? If they are compatible then I'm good to go with my current EW-100 receivers.

Thanks, KPO

Bruce Watson
November 12th, 2017, 08:52 AM
I guessing that EW-300 and EW-100 components are not compatible even though they are G3? If they are compatible then I'm good to go with my current EW-100 receivers.

You're guessing incorrectly. If the frequencies match, you can use the SKP-300-G3 with the EK-100-G3 receiver.

If you go the SKP-300 route, you can sell your SKP-100s. The SKP-300 is basically an SKP-100 with the addition of phantom power. You can switch the phantom power off when using dynamic mics.

Rick Reineke
November 12th, 2017, 10:11 AM
The 2000 series SKP plug-on transmitter has Phantom Power as well, and would be compatible with 100 series receivers provided the Tx / Rx frequency is the same.
BTW, The 500 series frequency blocks are the same as the 100 but has more frequency presets, For instance, the 100 and 500 A block are both 516-558MHz. Other differences include a metal battery door, on the SK bodypack Tx.
The price competitive Sony plug-on transmitter/system has Phantom Power and s more cost effective. The Sony Tx would not be compatible with a Sennheiser Rx though even if the frequency could be matched.

Don Palomaki
November 12th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Be aware that the Rode NT5 requires 24/48 volt phantom power. Some, but not all plug on transmitters can provide that voltage. Others are limited to something less, perhaps around 9-12 volts or even lower.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Phantom2Pro?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjv6rgYW61wIVQYezCh0Cwg-iEAQYASABEgKeG_D_BwE
Might meet the need to providing 48 volt phantom power to a mic in the field.

Kevin O'Connor
November 12th, 2017, 06:43 PM
THanks for all the info. I found a Sennheiser kit with an SKP-300 and EW-100-G3 receivers, so like you said they are compatible if they operate in the same frequency range. My current EW-100-G3 kit is in the (G) frequency band so I just need two SKP-300-G3 plug-on's in the (G) frequency band. The specs show 48V phantom power, and like you said it can be turned off.

Can you damage a dynamic mic (non-phantom pwr) if you leave the phantom power on and connect it to the mic?

Thanks KPO.

Don Palomaki
November 13th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Can you damage a dynamic mic (non-phantom pwr) if you leave the phantom power on and connect it to the mic?...

I would check the documentation for the mic, or with the maker to be sure about you specific mics. Modern professional dynamic mics should be ok, but it might present a problem for older dynamic mics, some ribbon mics, and unbalanced mics. In some cases it may just effect the sound quality but not damage it depending on the construction of the mic.

When connecting mics it generally is better to have power off and levels turned down.

Rick Reineke
November 13th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Can you damage a dynamic mic (non-phantom pwr) if you leave the phantom power on and connect it to the mic?
Generally no.. hence the name "Phantom" but it's good practice to disengage it when not required. Unfortunately on a lot of budget mixer's it's global. so all the mic channels have it on, if so engaged.
OTOH, feeding PP to an unbalanced connection or mics with custom power supplies can cause damage on either end.

David Peterson
November 14th, 2017, 05:50 AM
RodeLink Newshooter Kit is a dirt cheap option for a plug on transmitter with phantom power and acceptable quality.

I use it in my kit for when I need to place a plant mic.

Kevin O'Connor
November 14th, 2017, 01:54 PM
I checked out the RodeLink Newshooter, good idea and it comes with a receiver. Although It’s only $30.00 cheaper then a SKP-300-G3 and I have EW-100-G3 receivers I can use, I don’t want a new wireless system in my kit. But I’m having trouble choking down the $1,060.00 cost for two SKP-300-G3.

I’ve learned about another way to handle this task from our chain of information on this topic. I’m now considering the TASCAM DR-60D recorder. It has phantom power and I could set this up on stage with the mic stand behind the director. I would just need to sync the audio in post. Although this would need to run non-stop the whole performance and add additional work in post it would save me about half the cost.

Thanks, KPO.

David Peterson
November 19th, 2017, 04:13 AM
I checked out the RodeLink Newshooter, good idea and it comes with a receiver. Although It’s only $30.00 cheaper then a SKP-300-G3 and I have EW-100-G3 receivers I can use, I don’t want a new wireless system in my kit. But I’m having trouble choking down the $1,060.00 cost for two SKP-300-G3.

The downside to that approach is any time you use the G3 XLR transmitter, you won't be able to use your existing G3 bodypack.

I’ve learned about another way to handle this task from our chain of information on this topic. I’m now considering the TASCAM DR-60D recorder. It has phantom power and I could set this up on stage with the mic stand behind the director. I would just need to sync the audio in post. Although this would need to run non-stop the whole performance and add additional work in post it would save me about half the cost

You could also feed from the DR60Dmk2 to your camera.

And I recommend using a USB powerbank to power it if running it for a long time:

Firmware update for Tascam DR-60D mk1 fixes recording interruptions when running on external USB power packs. – David Peterson (http://ironfilm.co.nz/firmware-update-for-tascam-dr-60d-mk1-fixes-recording-interruptions-when-running-on-external-usb-power-packs/)

Also I'd highly suggest checking out the Tascam DR70D or Zoom F4 instead, a bit more expensive, but much increased capabilities.

Which Sound Recorder to buy? A guide to various indie priced sound recorders in 2017 – David Peterson (http://ironfilm.co.nz/which-sound-recorder-to-buy-a-guide-to-various-indie-priced-sound-recorders-in-2017/)