View Full Version : 7Q+ Format Not Deleting Files

Jan Klier
November 12th, 2017, 05:22 PM
I noticed now a few times that after I reformat an SSD on the 7Q+ it doesn't actually erase the files on the SSD. Instead it appears to be moving them into a hidden folder called .}CPOOL{. and then deletes them one at a time only as the 7Q+ needs more space to write to the SSD.

In theory that is a nice system as it preservers clips from being accidentally deleted during a format.

However, if one uses any of the software like Shotput Pro or Hedge, as it copies everything on the disk, it has the habit of copying clips from previous shoots which takes unnecessary time and space on set.

Is there a way of changing that behavior and having it actually delete files on format?

Jan

Gary Huff
November 12th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Shotput Pro has an option to ignore hidden files. Make sure it's checked.

Dan Keaton
November 13th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Dear Jan,

Both PC's and Macs have an occasional problem where they write over files.
And both like to index all of the files on the SSD, which can cause problems.

During the format process the Odyssey creates dummy files to make almost all of the SSD appear full to the computer, thus solving these problems.

One should not copy all of the files on the SSD, but copy the files that are active.

Thus, one should open our Clips__________Odyssey folder, then one will find folders for each Clip.

Copy these folders and you will only copy the active files.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton
Convergent Design

Jan Klier
November 14th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Dear Dan,

That explanation makes sense. And it's reasonable when you drag-and-drop files for copying.

But on many sets we now use software for copying off media - such as Shotput or Hedge. We don't always get to influence how those applications work. As Gary pointed out, there is an option in Shotput to accommodate the 7Q+. There is no such option in Hedge yet, though I suggested it to Paul and it's been added to the to-do list.

While I appreciate all the excellent engineering that has gone into the 7Q+ and I rely on it every day, if you design a device to go against certain customs (and as you pointed out for good reason), there should be ways of turning it off if necessary.

It's similar to what happened to audio channel mappings, when recent firmware departed from the 2 channels, and left a wake of issues. I still cannot monitor audio during playback on the FS7/RAW because of an audio channel bug that is presumably in queue for the next release whenever that is.

Jan

Dan Keaton
November 14th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Dear Jan,

We now have the option to record 2 Channels or 8 Channels of audio, to resolve issues where certain programs could not properly handle 8 Channels of audio.

I will check with our team to learn if they know of any other current audio issue.

Respectfully,

Jan Klier
November 15th, 2017, 05:43 AM
Dear Dan,

Thanks. Yes, I very much appreciate the 2/8 channel selection.

The other issue is a known defect which your support team confirmed several months ago. When recording FS7/RAW in playback mode audio is not played back because the channel mapping is wrong. The audio is recorded properly, but can only be listened to after download of the card. Caused a major freak-out the first time I noticed that on set an thought maybe the recording was bad.

Jan