View Full Version : Grand Teton (sony FS-7 4K)

Rudy Wilms
November 15th, 2017, 03:37 PM
GRAND TETON on Vimeo

Tim Lewis
November 15th, 2017, 04:51 PM
That was magnificent Rudy! I would have been happy getting just one of those shots myself, but you got them all.

I was really impressed also by the rugged, raw nature of such a recent (geologically) landscape.

Chuck Spaulding
November 16th, 2017, 05:18 PM
I'm really beginning to hate you. I'm so envious of your work.

As Tim mentioned you have so many amazing shots. This one feels a bit long but I have no idea what to cut to shorten it?

The color grading is very well done, however it does seem like your pedestal is a bit high, granting this could be my monitor but a touch of contrast might help.

Either way, remarkable shots.

Tim Lewis
November 18th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Hey Chuck, I am new to all this colour grading terminology. What do you mean by pedestal?

Chuck Spaulding
November 18th, 2017, 12:21 PM
When looking at a waveform super black would be at 0 and black is at 7.5IRE. It appears the blacks in this grade are bit higher.

Lowering the base black and maybe the mid blacks just a bit would add a little contrast and would have the added benefit of making the footage look a bit sharper (without making it look like you just raised the level of the sharpening).

Here's a pretty good explanation of the different terms people used to use in the "old" NTSC days...

http://blog.ieba.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ReadWaveformVector.pdf

Tim Lewis
November 18th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Thanks Chuck, that was really helpful. Much appreciated!

Rudy Wilms
November 19th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Thank you both for watching and for your feedback I really appreciate it. I agree with length normally I always try to keep my videos a little shorter I even considered making two parts of the video because we suddenly got a total different setting with the snow but since I did not have enough of the snowy shots I decided to go for one video. I think going to the Tetons in winter would be even more amazing there, this park is phenomenal.As for the base blacks that was by choice I am a big fan of keeping them just high enough to get a little film look usually in between 5-10.Thanks Rudy

Bryce Comer
November 19th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Absolutely stunning Rudy,
Thank you for sharing. I spent a few days there a couple of years ago, but unfortunately it was with my elderly parents, so early morning starts were not so easy. We saw lots of wildlife, but not nearly as much as you did, & i might add, captured so beautifully.
I have followed you on Vimeo to make sure i never miss another one of your videos.
Regards,
Bryce