View Full Version : UWOL 45 - Tales of wonders and woes

Pages : [1] 2

Trond Saetre
December 4th, 2017, 01:17 PM
As always, interaction between the players is encouraged.
What goes great, what did not go as planned, and everything in between, about the making of your UWOL 45 films.

Hope all of you have found an idea for your entries. Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions.
Have fun!

------------------
Off topic:
I am throwing around the idea for a new "get together event". Hopefully for 2018, but 2019 is of course an (better?) option too. See this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/uwol-challenge/uwol-cha...er-2018-a.html

Feel free to comment with any thoughts and ideas you might have.

Kevin Railsback
December 6th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Well, I have one idea for a campy type story but I need to figure out the legalities of filming a piece of famous private property with my drone from a public road.

Just an idea st this point but it might be fun to do since I have access to the area

Bryce Comer
December 6th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I think i too have an idea. Still need to iron a few things out with it, but should be able to put it together i think.

Trond Saetre
December 7th, 2017, 07:28 AM
I think my idea could have been mother nature isn't just calling, but throwing lots of water and wind at me.
But an idea is vaguely coming up.

Gordon Hoffman
December 7th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Trond I'm about in the same boat as you are other than the water. Hmmm I guess I don't need the boat. It is going to be windy for a while by the looks of things. Still no solid plan yet.

Gordon

Victor Wilcox
December 7th, 2017, 08:41 AM
We have lots of calls of the tame. The cows, horses, lamas and donkeys never quit. If I can just get the coyotes and bobcats to cooperate.

Per Johan Naesje
December 8th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Ok, I have a plan which I think I will be able to complete
Been thinking a lot about this. My plan will be to go up in the highland of Norway visiting a pre-historic species - the Muskox
Itś going to be some very tough hikes up there, so I have to take care of my own safety. Weather can be really severe and it will be in the middle of the coldest and darkest period of the year at the northern hemisphere
I have to carry all my gear by myself, hopefully by snowshoes and a sledge
My biggest concern will be to have enough batteries as they are draining fast in freezing temperatures. I also wonder how the camcorder will perform out there in this conditions

If it is of interest, I could try and make a behind-the-scenes video?

Trond Saetre
December 8th, 2017, 02:37 PM
A behind-the-scenes film is always interesting and a good way to learn.
Will be cool to see the muskox returning to the uwol world.

Victor Wilcox
December 8th, 2017, 04:26 PM
I had high hopes for the Texas blizzard of 2017, but it was a meltdown.

Vishal Jadhav
December 9th, 2017, 07:37 AM
I have the First shot of 5 seconds :) well thats what i think so whatever happens i have 5 seconds to submit at least, now for plan to take this ahead and make it into the film i want to .

Hopefully i will make it.

Kevin Railsback
December 9th, 2017, 10:59 AM
No story yet but I found my music!
Now to build something around it 😀
Per, a bts video would be fantastic!

Bob Safay
December 9th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Well I have an idea and maybe some good footage. I had the wonderful opportunity to hook up with Doug Jensen at the Merritt Island Natural Wildlife Refuge in in Florida the other day. It was such a pleasure to finally meet him and to spend the morning together videoing birds at the refuge. He is such a gracious person. And, if you really want to drool, you should see his video equipment.
Can you say lens envy!!! Bob

Mick Jenner
December 10th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Behind the scenes would be great Per.

Hey Bob, this is getting real serious enlisting the help of the main Sony camera tech man over there in the the States !! Maybe I'll fire off an email to Alistair Chapman Sony's Guru this side of the Pond lol

I have a plan a but its but its a real 180 degree take on the the theme, hopefully I can pull it off. Time will tell?

Mick

Bob Safay
December 10th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Mick, Doug may be the main Sony camera tech, but I still use my Canon XF300 and love it. smile

Geir Inge
December 12th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Tomorrow night I have the opportunity to photograph the Geminids.
Let's hope for a glorious sky, and no clouds.

Mysterious stripes on the night sky this evening.
Someone who has a look at what it may be - a plane maybe?
I have never seen stripes like this before, and it moved across the sky.

Bryce Comer
December 12th, 2017, 05:59 PM
UWOL 45
Unidentified Wacky Objects in a Line? :)
I'm thinking it's a plane. How long was your exposure? I don't know the timing of the nav lights on a plane, but the port & starboard lights fit, along with the flashing white lights.
Looking forward to seeing what you are working on Geir!

Donald McPherson
December 13th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Pretty obvious to me at this time of year. It's Santa out testing Rudolf and the rest with his sley.

Geir Inge
December 13th, 2017, 01:37 AM
Bryce: exposure=5sec
Yeah, I guess it's a plane, but still as Donald says - I like to think it's Santa 🎅

Tony McGuire
December 13th, 2017, 03:21 AM
Geir,

Its a plane for sure. I have done a fair bit of night time photogrophy. I like the effect of this plane. You could say to kids that you have got a photo of snata flying over head checking to see if they are been good and show them this lol

Trond Saetre
December 13th, 2017, 12:56 PM
You could say to kids that you have got a photo of snata flying over head checking to see if they are been good and show them this lol
Haha, that's a good one!

Yes, it's obviously a plane's anti collision lights.

Geir Inge
December 13th, 2017, 04:59 PM
I'm out now, trying to catch the Geminids. Have I forgot something? Yes! Battery for my timer controller ��
It stopped. Know I have locked the push button, so it takes photos non stop. Hope it works out.

Bryce Comer
December 19th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Ok, well i'm in Australia still visiting family & friends. Been spending a lot of time with the grandchildren, which has tied my up a bit, but i did manage to get out for a couple of hours today to get some time lapse shots. It was very windy, & the camera was blown around quite a bit, but i did at least manage a couple of shots i may be able to use. Will definitely need more though. That will be part one of what will essentially be a two part plan for me.
Hope others are finding the time to get out and shoot a bit.
Bryce

Per Johan Naesje
December 21st, 2017, 02:23 PM
Still haven't recorded 1 seconds of footage yet! But this is according to my plan
Next week after Christmas Eve, I will be out starting shooting for the challenge. Will spend 4 days out and then back home for New Years Eve
Impossible to know how this trip will be, as weather will play a big role to my script

But I have 2 more weeks during January to spend if needed, so I think there is a fair change that I reach my goal this time!

I think making UWOL challenge over 2 months is a big pluss, would be nice if that become the standard to future challenges?

Trond Saetre
December 21st, 2017, 04:34 PM
I think making UWOL challenge over 2 months is a big pluss, would be nice if that become the standard to future challenges?
The plan is to have 2-month challenges whenever time permits. Seems like that gives more players a chance to finish making their films.

Vishal Jadhav
December 21st, 2017, 11:06 PM
Interesting i scrapped my original idea.

Now to idea 2, Christmas day would be the deciding factor as i would travel and plan to shoot that day, lets see where we reach, it may be epic or a Shark Tank :)

i guess the extra days this time are surely a plus, i currently intend to make the full shoot at 4k lets see how it goes.

Mark Hartopp
December 25th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Still looking for a idea. Hopefully with the amount of drink available today that may change into some kind of crazy idea.

Merry Christmas/festival to you all.

Paul Wood
December 28th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Well I finished work yesterday, and have the germ of an idea, so let’s see if I can get something done in the New Year!

Trond Saetre
December 28th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Merry Christmas and a happy new film year, everyone!
Hope all of you have a great time.

Bob Safay
January 1st, 2018, 06:09 AM
And a happy new year to all

Gordon Hoffman
January 1st, 2018, 08:49 AM
Yes all the best this New Year to everyone.

Gordon

Bryce Comer
January 1st, 2018, 10:49 AM
Happy new year everyone!!

Bryce Comer
January 10th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Ok, back to work for me!!
I was very lucky to be able to visit friends & family in Australia for 6 weeks, getting home just before the new year. I haven't even looked through all the footage i took in Australia, but hope i have what i need to put my film together. Hopefully once everything settles down here with work, i can sit down & get started on the editing.
I hope everyone had a nice holiday season, & everything is working out well for you all with your edits.
Regards,
Bryce

Vishal Jadhav
January 10th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Got Stuck , the idea isn't flowing music isn't happening

Footage is in the bag , now to get the inspiration to edit it .

Trond Saetre
January 10th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Good to hear you had a nice time, Bryce.

I got a little setback today. My computer desided an early retirement with a C-drive refusing to start up.
Already filmed a little and plan to film more this weekend, but no idea when I get a chance to edit.

Kevin Railsback
January 11th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Finally got an idea. It’s very challenging and parts of it may be above what I can do.
Need snow and since we had some decent snow cover I thought no problem and now it’s almost 50 outside!
Bye bye snow!

Gordon Hoffman
January 11th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Hey Kevin I don't have that problem They are calling for another 4 to 8 inches of snow tonight.. My problem is I don't have a solid idea yet.

Gordon

Kevin Railsback
January 12th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Gordon,

Wish we had that here! We have zilch now!

Script is locked, music is licensed, just need snow and time now

Gordon Hoffman
January 13th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Well Kevin they missed their forecast and we only got around 2 inches of new snow. The chinook wind hit last night and it's 3ºC (about 37ºF) now so there will be some open ground before long. I'm usually just shooting stuff, then seeing what I can do with it. Once in awhile I have a vague idea that I try to work around but I never have it where I have a list of shots to get.

Gordon

Kevin Railsback
January 14th, 2018, 06:36 AM
First read of the script came in at 5:08 and everyone feels it still needs to breathe more.

Still no snow, just cold. -15 Tuesday

Did go out and get another shot for Lament of the Milky Way to get it ready to enter a film festivsl this month.
Need a couple more shots and I think it’ll be ready to be submitted.

Everything hinges on snow this round or it’s shark tank for me.

Vishal Jadhav
January 14th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Had a Nightmare today that the deadline was 15th of Jan woke up at 4 am :)

Then remembered that the deadline is 31st so a bit relaxed, got the 2 shots i needed to open the story, wrote down half of the script, have start and ending frames pinned but the flow is not coming out as wished , will leave it for a day or so and revisit it to see if it flows.

Music man thats the thing i am missing still, even though the location sounds are recorded and in.

Guess its been so long since i last submitted a film that i even forgot the length of the film needed.

Kevin,
Snow will return
Your idea of choosing music first might have been a better way to approach this round but now i am searching.

Kevin Railsback
January 15th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Narration came in at 5:20. Last of the props I need we’re just delivered so hopefully we can get some decent snow and get this in the can!

Trond Saetre
January 15th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Kevin, talk like a homesick runaway train! Problem solved ;)

Andrew Hood
January 16th, 2018, 10:47 AM
I still need to make my idea more definite - still a bit general and undefined. Will work on the script/idea some more.
Decided to do some filming this afternoon - testing a new piece of equipment, and got some practice using it. Definitely need to practice some more - results were decent, but some tweaking is needed. I only scared a few kangaroos in the process ;-)
Hopefully I'll get out later in the week - just not when it gets to 40 Celsius on Friday.

Bob Safay
January 17th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Hey Kevin, you want show? Come on down to Atlanta, Georgia!!

Trond Saetre
January 19th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Earlier I mentioned I was working on something special for this uwol challenge, and today some news can be announced:

For UWOL 45, we will have an external judge, just as we had in the early days of the challenge.
The judge has previously participated in several challenges, and has accepted the honor of being our judge.

Welcome back to the UWOL challenge, Catherine Russel, Spike Productions :)

Vishal Jadhav
January 22nd, 2018, 02:18 AM
Great New Trond,

Finally i have something on the time line and it hit exactly at 4 minutes :)
now the hunt is on for music and getting the remaining things lined up.

Geir Inge
January 24th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Hello. I do not know if can complete this round. Suddenly I was offered a new job, which I have agreed to take. It is exciting and time consuming. At the same time, the deadline for Uwol 45 is approaching. I have some recordings left + editing. We'll see, but I do not think it will happen within the deadline.

Trond Saetre
January 24th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Congratulations and good luck with your new job, Geir Inge!

I still miss several of the shots I need for my film. Not sure if I will be able to complete either.
But plenty time until deadline, so who knows.

Per Johan Naesje
January 26th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I have been struggling lately, so the plan A about the muskox was cancelled due to a flu I got in late December. Have not been in any good shape this month either
But I will try and make up something. I am on plan C right now I think...
Have some footage I can use, my plan is to edit this during this weekend. Found some music too, so I have good hope for finishing something

Nice to have you back Catherine!

Good luck to all of you!

Trond Saetre
January 28th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Deadline is coming up. Don't forget to send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net request the upload details for vimeo.