View Full Version : tripods

Randy Johnson
December 19th, 2017, 09:36 PM
heres a question what are you guys using fro tripods these days? I always used bogen/manfrotto I never updated my tripods over the years just my cameras. I used the 3246 with larger heads. I be willing to be its overkill by todays standards id like to go lighter even looking at this sony with a built in controller. Any thoughts? my biggest camera is a Panasonic UX-180 now

Oren Arieli
December 20th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Without knowing more about your specific needs, you'll only get some general answers regarding what each person's "favorite" or current tripod is.
It helps to know:
1) Budget
2) Type of shooting you mostly do
3) Max weight you'll be putting on the sticks (camera isn't always the only item people throw on. My rig is 5lbs, but with a long lens, external monitor, wireless receiver and light it can easily hit 12 lbs.
4) Travel requirements - are you taking this on the road? Mostly studio? Is travel weight/length a consideration? Height requirements?

I've got 4 tripods in my collection, some are extra tall and beefy for heavy rigs and shooting over the crowd. Others are travel friendly CF tripods that fold smaller and weigh 1/3 as much.

Doug Jensen
December 20th, 2017, 03:24 PM
I be willing to be its overkill by todays standards . . .

I highly doubt it. Almost no tripod or head is overkill unless you simply can't afford better.
But like Oren says, it is impossible to offer any recommendations at all without a lot more information.

Paul Anderegg
December 20th, 2017, 06:13 PM
I use a small Sachtler Cine/DSLR tripod. If I were to purchase new the Cartoni Focus 8 looks nice for the price, $500 brand new.

Paul

Randy Johnson
December 20th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Well I use this now
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554068-REG/Manfrotto_028B_028B_Studio_Pro_Triman.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801
With a Bogen 316 head capable of holding 32 lbs. between the 2 weighing about 20 lbs. for a camera that weighs 8 max.
I do weddings and when I got those I was using huge S-VHS cameras, I never looked outside of bogen/mafrotto for my needs I always thought those lightweight consumer pods were just for home movies but now they seem like they MIGHT be a nice fit for something like a Sony FDR-AX100