View Full Version : Audio Bag for Zoom F4?

Jon Blacker
December 22nd, 2017, 12:11 AM
After not insignificant research, I've decided the Zoom F4 fits my needs best (vs the newest offerings from SD), primarily for talking head work along with occasional walk & talk to the camera pieces and some small documetary-style projects, and am now looking for a bag for it. I'll be using the Zoom with up to 3 wireless receivers (either RODE or Sennheiser) at a time as well as a RODE NTG2. I've looked at the (formerly Petrol) Sachtler 601, the ORCA OR-27 and a couple of different Porta Brace bags. Can anyone chime in with their recommendation and why their choice is better than the others?

And, I'm curious; beyond the see through cover, why do audio bags not have an actual closing top for transport/storage? As a long time stills shooter, it strikes me as strange not to be able to close a bag up at the end of the day.

Many thanks!

Brian P. Reynolds
December 22nd, 2017, 04:51 PM
You need to work out how its going to be used...
Do you want to carry ALL your gear in it? .... Spare cables as well?
Do you want to carry both Rx and Tx wireless systems or just the Rx units?
Do you intend to go RF send to a camera or a breakaway cable or just TimeCode only?
How many spare batteries will you need to carry?
What are you powering the kit with and do you need a battery distribution set up?
What other additional things do you need to carry?
Are you going to use it with a full harness or just a shoulder strap?

I bought th F4 and have gone with my Petrol 607 bag (previously used for my Shure FP33)..... BUT found it to be to small for my needs as I have now increased my RF systems from 2 to 3 [Sony UPW-D 11/16]. So that means 3x Rx units, 3x Tx units, and associated wind screens / covers etc., a plug on Tx unit to be used if needed for a wireless boom.
I also use a Comtek Tx for a camera link, so the Tx and Rx need to fit into the bag while traveling.

David Peterson
December 26th, 2017, 12:12 AM
After not insignificant research, I've decided the Zoom F4 fits my needs best (vs the newest offerings from SD), primarily for talking head work along with occasional walk & talk to the camera pieces and some small documetary-style projects, and am now looking for a bag for it. I'll be using the Zoom with up to 3 wireless receivers (either RODE or Sennheiser) at a time as well as a RODE NTG2. I've looked at the (formerly Petrol) Sachtler 601, the ORCA OR-27 and a couple of different Porta Brace bags. Can anyone chime in with their recommendation and why their choice is better than the others?

And, I'm curious; beyond the see through cover, why do audio bags not have an actual closing top for transport/storage? As a long time stills shooter, it strikes me as strange not to be able to close a bag up at the end of the day.

Many thanks!

Avoid RODE wireless, as for practical usage as a location sound recordist their transmitter packs are just way way too bulky.

Sennheiser G3 or Sony UWP-D11 are basically the same price to buy new, but I find Sony to have the edge when talking about features (and is why I own five of them! But never purchased a Sennheiser, even though I've many times used them).

I reckon an Aputure Deity Kit is a better buy than a RODE NTG2 (although if you're looking at getting a NTG2 secondhand then you can find some crazy low prices, which makes it worthwhile to buy).

Plus you want another mic for most indoor scenarios, even a cheap iSK Little Gem / Samson C02 might get you by until you can afford something better.

Jim Feeley
December 26th, 2017, 11:51 AM
In addition to ORCA and PortaBrace (and Sachtler), check out the Stingray Bags from K-Tek:

https://ktekpro.com/product-category/bags/stingray-audio-bags/

Seems like a Junior or Small might work well for you (depending on how many batteries, mounting supplies, etc you plan to carry).

> why do audio bags not have an actual closing top for transport/storage?
I think it would be hard to fit a zipper cover to the bag...I'm guessing it'd need two zippers, a center fabric section, and a bit of time to install and remove. Don't think most mixers would want it.

I stick my bag (along with some other stuff) in a pelican case when I'm done with it. But K-Tek, ORCA, and I think others include or offer slip-over covers that protect the bag for short-term transit, etc. For example:

https://ktekpro.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/KTEK_KSTGJ_4-900x900.jpg

http://www.orcabags.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/C73A4113.png

Anyway, picking a bag is a really personal choice. I know people happy with all the different brands.