View Full Version : Sony Z90 Questions

Roland Achini
December 25th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Questions to those who already own the camera:

Is the use of the joy stick (menu button) userfriendlier than with the X70?

How good is the image stabilizer "lens shift" compared to the X70 stabilizer or better: compared to the balanced optical (BOSS) system of the X30?

Paul Anderegg
December 25th, 2017, 04:29 AM
BOSS in the AX33/AX53? I would guess the joystick is the exact same part and operates exactly the same as the X70. Same for the SteadyShot as the lens is identical.

Paul

Lou Bruno
December 25th, 2017, 10:04 AM
The AX 53 has an excellent BOSS system. I don't even need to use my Glidecam. Not so with my AX-700 and X70. No joystick with the 53...touch screen menu adjustments.

Jay Allen
December 28th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know if a np-fv70 will work on the Z90 or do i have to get the np-fv70a version like what came with the camera?

Mark Watson
December 28th, 2017, 09:56 AM
From the manual, "Your camcorder operates only with an "InfoLITHIUM" V series battery pack of a large capacity, such as the NP-FV70A."

Elsewhere in the manual it states that you cannot use the NP-FV50. So, from that, I'd guess you can use the NP-FV70, NP-FV100, NP-FV100A, in addition to the supplied battery.

Paul Anderegg
December 30th, 2017, 12:21 AM
My NPFV70 X70 batteries, as well as aftermarket batteries, all work on my Z90. The NPFV70A batteries are a bit bigger, but lighter than the older NPFV70's.

Paul

Mark Watson
January 12th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Could somebody tell me the part number off the label on the bottom of the camera? I want to buy one locally here in Japan, but the showroom store may not have one on display and I need to know if the part number is different for cameras sold in Japan, which would likely indicate there is no English menu in it. Once the package is opened, however slightly, return is not possible.

Thanks,
Mark

Doug Jensen
January 13th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Mark, the number on the bottom of my camera simply says (in two different places) PXW-Z90V. And there are seven language choices in the menus, so I'd be really surprised to hear that there was a version that didn't speak English. But come back and let us know if you find that to be the case.

Bill Ackerman
January 13th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Mark,
The model number on the label on the box may be helpful?

PXW-Z90V//C

Doug Jensen
January 13th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Yes, mine says that too in the tiny print on the box label. But the big printing on the box itself says "PXW-Z90 series". That does seem to imply there might be more than one version. I just sent an email to the Z90 product manager at Sony to see if he can clear things up.

Mark Watson
January 13th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Okay guys, that's actually helpful to know the box markings. That way, if my box doesn't match up, I don't need to open it. I want the camera in time for an event on the 22nd. I see model number PXW-Z90, and other places it's PXW-Z90V. Looking at the manual, it looks like you can choose 50i or 60i, making it a global camera. That's a good indicator there's only one version. I'll make the trip to System 5 Pro Video next week and see how that goes. Hopefully Doug's contact will provide an answer for added peace of mind. Thanks for the replies.

The attachment shows the reason for this quandary. Item is in stock, but kept at a warehouse, so I guess I have to order one, then come back in and pick it up a couple days later, or have it delivered. If it's wrong, I've already paid for it and return policies here are not too lenient. I have a $6,000 printer that was not what I wanted. Popped the staples to have a quick look inside the box and that action meant I could not return it.

Bill Ackerman
January 13th, 2018, 09:35 PM
On the title page of the manual, there is reference to two models: PXW-Z90V/Z90T. Also, here are the languages supported by my U.S.-purchased model:

Doug Jensen
January 15th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Okay, so here's some information I have been given by the Z90 product manager at Sony:

RE: Buying a Z90 in Japan . . .
The Japanese version of PXW-Z90 does have English menu, but Japanese and English only.
The printed manual will be Japanese, but it will contain a PDF in English, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

RE: Product naming . . .
PXW-Z90 is the official product name, but there are two versions . . .
PXW-Z90V which has both 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi (all Z90s in the US are Z90”V”s)
PXW-Z90T which only has 2.4GHz Wi-Fi because some countries don’t allow 5GHz signals to be emitted

Mark Watson
January 16th, 2018, 03:52 AM
Thanks Doug. I went to the System 5 Pro Video shop and told them I wanted the Z90. They said they're out of stock, takes 2-3 weeks to get another one in. Their web-site said "in stock" just 2 hours earlier, and now that I'm back home, it stills says "in stock". I asked which version they sell and they were not aware of two versions. They brought out the box for the store display Z90 and I found that label Bill mentioned, "PXW-Z90V//C". I can't wait 2-3 weeks, so I'm going to give Adorama a try. Haven't ordered anything from them in ten years.

Mark Watson
January 26th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Got my camera yesterday! Drifting event on the 22nd got cancelled due to snow forecast, but now I'm ready to go for the next one.

Noticed the focus ring has deeper cut grooves. Can't make file format, recording mode changes by touching the screen anymore.

I'm curious if the image stabilizer is improved from the AX100. I'll do some testing with the Z90, AX100, AX53 just to see how it stacks up.

Feels solid in my hand. They got the magnify button put where it should have been.
First impression is that I expect this to get plenty of use, just like my AX100 did.

Paul Anderegg
January 29th, 2018, 02:55 AM
Z90 doesn't have touch menu's.

Paul

Roland Achini
February 20th, 2018, 03:22 AM
Picture Profiles:
What is the difference between
PP3 Example settings of natural color tone with [ITU709] gamma and
PP4 Example settings of a color tone that is faithful to [ITU709]?

Doug Jensen
February 20th, 2018, 09:47 AM
When you find out, please let us all know. :-)

Lou Bruno
February 20th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Roland...I'm pleased with Doug's profile setting thus all my PP's are set to the profiles explained in the tutorial video,..,..which I highly recommend. The only difference is I raise the saturation a little for outdoor scenes.

With that said, you will need to compare each setting against the other as there are no two provided and defaulted picture profiles the same. Some use different gammas.....cine settings....level settings etc.

When you find out, please let us all know. :-)

Roland Achini
February 21st, 2018, 07:41 AM
Checking the Sony Z90 PP3 and PP4 settings, the only difference betwen PP3 and PP4 is in the Color Mode settings (PRO in PP3, ITU 709 Matrix in PP4).
According to Sony Z90 Operational Guide (a) and a Google (b) search, the settings are characterized as

PP3 PRO:
a) Natural color tone when [GAMMA] is set to [ITU709], natural color tone with [ITU709] gamma.
b) Similar color tones to the standard image quality of Sony professional cameras (when combined with
ITU-709 gamma).

PP4 ITU709 MATRIX:
a) Colors corresponding to ITU-709, color tone that is faithful to [ITU709].
b) Colors corresponding to ITU-709 standard (when combined with ITU-709 gamma)

This differentiation and the word „faithful“ are ambiguous to me.

Paul Anderegg
February 28th, 2018, 08:31 PM
The PRO color mode in these cameras is about -10 saturation compared to the 709 color mode. Each color mode on these cameras also throws colors to different areas on the vecorscope as well.

Paul