View Full Version : Substitute for RA-V1 advanced hotshoe to LANC ?

John Peterson
February 4th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Guess I waited too many years before I actually needed an RA-V1, but I am now in need of
using the Canon HF-M41 camcorder on a tripod with remote control of zoom, start, and stop.

I have had a Canon ZR-1000 LANC Zoom Controller for many years that I used with the LANC input on my Sony VX2000 and Sony Hi8 cameras. The Canon HF-M41 does not have a LANC input. That zoom controller interfaces with the RA-V1 adapter that fits the Canon HF-M41 mini advanced hotshoe and provides a LANC input. The problem is that it cannot be found anywhere. It was discontinued and none seem to be available used either.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/remote-control-adapter-ra-v1

Does anyone here know where I can buy a used one?

Does anyone here know of a substitute for using the camera on a tripod effectively for zoom, start, and stop?

Or does anyone here know of a DIY plan to create an interface for the mini-advanced hotshoe with pinouts I can use to make my own LANC socket?

Thanks,

John

Don Palomaki
February 4th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Finding one on the used market/auction sites will be hit or miss and require a bit of luck.

I see some vendors in AU may have one in stock - for a price.

Can you make do with the WL-D89 wireless remote control. It offers stop/stop and zoom control. The camcorder has sensors front and back, and the remote probably could be mounted to a tripod handle with some Velcro.

John Peterson
February 4th, 2018, 07:07 PM
I see what you mean Don about the prices. Wow!

I haven't tried using the wireless remote yet. I figured it would not be very responsive since I
have always used physical zoom controllers for my cameras. Worth a try if that is the only
practical option. I am pretty good with electronics device construction, but I would need a plan
or at least the pinouts for the hot shoe on the Canon.

I'll try the wireless remote. Thanks for the input.

John

Bryan Worsley
February 4th, 2018, 07:10 PM
The camcorder has sensors front and back....

There's just the one sensor for the WL-D89 wireless remote located on the bottom left of the opened LCD panel - same as on my HF-G30. But the panel can be flipped to allow control in front of the camcorder.

John Peterson
February 4th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Good to know Bryan.

Thanks,

John

Bryan Worsley
February 4th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Yes, it's infrared (I think), but I'm sure Don's suggestion would work if the controller is mounted on the tripod handle in such a way that the sensor catches the beam - probably easiest if the handle is mounted on the left side.

I recall some years back seeing a DIY (PVC tube) cage/rig where the guy had used a length of optical cable to direct the controller beam onto an IR sensor located at the front of the camcorder.

Edit: I think it was this one:

http://www.primitivebuteffective.com/2007/05/hv20-non-lanc-controller.html

Crude but effective, apparently. He referenced a DVInfo forum thread from back in 2003 as the inspiration:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/16934-diy-non-lanc-controller.html

John Peterson
February 4th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Sounds like a doable modification. I think I will test out the remote when I shoot this Thursday to see how responsive it is, then I may try that mod if it seems really slow. These are just rehearsal shoots which I then upload to You Tube for the actors and directors to review their work. A light weight easily portable setup seems to work best for me. Thus the small camera.

Thanks again Bryan for the links.

John

Bryan Worsley
February 4th, 2018, 11:54 PM
There are a couple of Australian online suppliers who appear to stock the RA-V1 adapter:

https://www.dccameras.com.au/canon-rav1-remote-control-adaptor.html

https://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/remote_controls/canon_ra-v1_remote_control_adapter

I would assume those prices are Aus $. Even so that's 180-190 US$. Ridiculous.

John Peterson
February 5th, 2018, 07:28 AM
I know, I had seen those. Pretty crazy. Even the Canon website (that I linked in the OP) had the original list price at $130. Canon used to include LANC on their cameras at one time and their ZR-1000 (and ZR-2000) worked so well that I bought the ZR-1000 to use on my Sony cameras. It still works great.

John

Don Palomaki
February 5th, 2018, 08:11 AM
FWIW: Canon still includes LANC (a 2.5mm jack labeled "remote" on the camcorder) on many of their higher end camcorders but likely dropped it as a cost savings on many consumer camcorders.

Bryan Worsley
February 5th, 2018, 08:14 AM
The current (budget) consumer HD camcorder models (HF-R80/82/800) don't even have an IR remote sensor - instead (R-80/82 only) a WiFi feature ('Near Field Communication') that facilitates some remote control/monitor functionality via a (compatible) smartphone app. From what I've read though the monitor feedback is very laggy and it's hardly practical as a remote control for tripod operation.

Bryan Worsley
February 5th, 2018, 08:28 AM
There are a couple of Australian online suppliers who appear to stock the RA-V1 adapter

Just realized you mentioned that above Don:

I see some vendors in AU may have one in stock - for a price.

So much for the speed-reading course I've been taking ;>)