View Full Version : Z90 Image Issue

Ian Whelan
February 12th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Had my new Z90 out for it's first run on Saturday. When I got back and viewed all the foot I shot in S&Q at 250 FPS, they are all completely screwed up. Any idea what the hell is wrong here or do I need to send the camera back? Don't know how I'll work the edit around this...

Private video on Vimeo
Password: nasty

Bill Ackerman
February 12th, 2018, 06:06 PM
I have seen similar (but not as extreme) with SteadyShot set to "active" running super slow motion at 240fps. Also, the write speed of SD card?

Cliff Totten
February 12th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Wow,...does it only do this in S&Q mode.

Normal speed 30p or 25p is OK? (1080 and 4k)

CT

Paul Anderegg
February 12th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Does Active Steady shot WARP the image plane like that? I thought it just punched in and centered stuff.

Paul

Donald McPherson
February 13th, 2018, 12:55 AM
Could be similar to using the optical stabilizer on a tripod. Try switching it off and on then check results.

Bill Ackerman
February 13th, 2018, 05:54 PM
I know I have seen similar tearing as reported by the OP, so I tried hard right now to reproduce with SteadyShot and could not. Maybe there was some distortion in the first few frames but after that, I could not see any problems. Must be some other setting was causing it in my case.

Ian Whelan
February 14th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies - I've spent a few days trying to replicate the problem. Sometimes with success and sometimes not. Here is what I found...

With 250 fps with stabilization off, it seems to have no issues.

With 250 fps with stabilization on, it seems to have no issues UNLESS you move the camera while it's buffering to the card. Then it goes crazy!

Could someone check this out on a Z90 (if you have one) to see if it's the same on your camera? I'd really appreciate it!

Now, how the hell do I rescue the footage from Saturdays wedding...

Donald McPherson
February 14th, 2018, 03:47 AM
Have a look for hyperlapse tutorials and treat this the same way.

Craig Seeman
February 14th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Bouncing around the interwebs looking a Z90 videos I've come across a couple of others with the same issue. All were during slomo shots. I suspect it's a combination of stabilization and slow motion and it's not specific to your camera.

Curious whether you had Active or Standard stabilization on when it occurred.

Ian Whelan
February 14th, 2018, 09:23 AM
It was active stabilization Craig!

Dan Gunn
February 16th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies - I've spent a few days trying to replicate the problem. Sometimes with success and sometimes not. Here is what I found...

With 250 fps with stabilization off, it seems to have no issues.

With 250 fps with stabilization on, it seems to have no issues UNLESS you move the camera while it's buffering to the card. Then it goes crazy!

Could someone check this out on a Z90 (if you have one) to see if it's the same on your camera? I'd really appreciate it!

Now, how the hell do I rescue the footage from Saturdays wedding...

Don't you have "BooBoo" insurance? Thank GOD that I did and still do. My team had a major screw up at a wedding and the client sued. My insurance worked out a settlement and my total cost was $500.00. Now y'all can go back to the subject I hijacked!!!