View Full Version : Marantz PMD-750 Digital Wireless

David Peterson
February 13th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Never seen this product before, as it is a brand brand new product that isn't shipping yet. But as a Marantz it should be worth checking out.

Has a low low price of US$399

2.4 GHz Digital Transmitter (like RodeLink, no need to worry about what frequencies are legal)

All info on the top, which is nice. But perhaps my favorite feature: "Receiver Can Pair to Two Transmitters". Handy!

Annoyingly the input is a 4 pin XLR, which doesn't match up with any transmitters I own currently.

Unfortunately it is not shipping yet, and there are no reviews of it online, but it looks like a product to keep an eye on!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340330-REG/marantz_professional_pmd_750_2_4ghz_camera_mount_wireless.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Kevin Lau
February 14th, 2018, 01:50 AM
I much prefer the TA4F instead of the mini jack connectors used in other equipment in this price point. I think it's a nice touch. It would be even nicer if the pinout matched up with the other vendors too. Interestingly the trade show demo model had the connector out the side of the transmitter pack, while the "stock" photo on B&H seems to show it on the top or display side of the pack.

As usual with the spread spectrum systems, I would want to see how well it handles dropouts and re-synchronization. I pit my RodeLink Newsshooter kit against my Sony DWX kit in harsh multipath and moving transmitter scenarios and the set-frequency DWX (even at lowest TX power) recovers much faster from dropout hits than the spread-spectrum dynamic frequency hopping Rodelink, however I have to use the 2.4GHz equipment in locations where I cannot get coordination for the UHF frequencies the DWX uses. This will be a major advantage for any of the 2.4GHz unlicensed equipment as the band plan for wireless microphone users gets more and more uncertain.

If it can pair to two transmitters, it would be nice to see them also come out with a pluggable transmitter module to make a complete kit and become a real competitor to the RodeLink. Oddly enough, a couple dealers who carry the InMusic Brands product line do show this SKU in their system but have no further info on stock, lead time or other product details.

David Peterson
February 14th, 2018, 08:05 AM
I much prefer the TA4F instead of the mini jack connectors used in other equipment in this price point. I think it's a nice touch. It would be even nicer if the pinout matched up with the other vendors too. Interestingly the trade show demo model had the connector out the side of the transmitter pack, while the "stock" photo on B&H seems to show it on the top or display side of the pack.

Be maddening if the pin out did not match other TA4F ones!

And yes, glad they've moved the lav jack from the side to the top! Seems to me like a much better position.

As usual with the spread spectrum systems, I would want to see how well it handles dropouts and re-synchronization. I pit my RodeLink Newsshooter kit against my Sony DWX kit in harsh multipath and moving transmitter scenarios and the set-frequency DWX (even at lowest TX power) recovers much faster from dropout hits than the spread-spectrum dynamic frequency hopping Rodelink, however I have to use the 2.4GHz equipment in locations where I cannot get coordination for the UHF frequencies the DWX uses. This will be a major advantage for any of the 2.4GHz unlicensed equipment as the band plan for wireless microphone users gets more and more uncertain.

Those Sonys are much more expensive however!

If it can pair to two transmitters, it would be nice to see them also come out with a pluggable transmitter module to make a complete kit and become a real competitor to the RodeLink. Oddly enough, a couple dealers who carry the InMusic Brands product line do show this SKU in their system but have no further info on stock, lead time or other product details.

Indeed, I wouldn't want *ALL* of my kit to use 2.4GHz, as the risk is too great. But could be a handy extra tool in my kit for some circumstances such as that.

Paul Cronin
February 14th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Great find David, I am just about to add to my Lectro LR/LT/PDR setup. And will keep an eye on this since it comes out this month. Be great to get one for a review? And hopefully it would take my Saken lavs, but we will have to see on that one.

David Peterson
February 15th, 2018, 04:35 AM
You'd like need to rewire your Sanken lavs, or get an adapter.

If you've got Lecto LR/LT at the moment, you probably want something a bit higher end to match with those than this?

I'd love to get one to review for them! (they clearly need to work on their marketing to get the word out....)
But I'd say I'm way too small fry fish for that.

Paul Cronin
February 15th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Thanks for your input David,

I am getting a second LR/LT to match the current one, tough to beat Lectro with my experience. Agree the Sanken would have to be rewired.

Still be nice to see what is capable with this set. Will keep watching to see if they let a third party review.

Rick Reineke
February 15th, 2018, 09:03 AM
The TA series connectors (aka, mini XLR) are defiantly more robust than a 3.5 mini plug. But to use them with existing mics, an adapter is needed or an addition mic. Shure's wireless transmitters uses the TA-4 connector as did the Telex, I don't know if the Marantz uses the same pin config.. probably not, like the Sennheiser / Sony 3.5 TRS inputs are wired differently. Other than that, the Marantz Rx does not look designed for bag use.

David Peterson
February 18th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Thanks for your input David,

I am getting a second LR/LT to match the current one, tough to beat Lectro with my experience. Agree the Sanken would have to be rewired.

Still be nice to see what is capable with this set. Will keep watching to see if they let a third party review.

As you're using Lectro LR, you might like to consider the Lectrosonics SRc as well which is a wide band dual channel receiver (Lectrosonics had issues with the early versions of the SRc, but they're very very close to fixing this now).

Other than that, the Marantz Rx does not look designed for bag use.

Why do you save that? I'd disagree, look how the Marantz receivers for instance have all their info on the top for easy reading when in your bag. Unlike say Sennheiser G3 receivers.

Paul Cronin
February 19th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Thanks David for the options. I did own a SRb with two SMQv's and it was a very nice system.

I sold that and was with out wireless for a year on different jobs. So when I bought back in I tried the LR/LT and really like it. Also I only need one transmitter for six months.

Feature wise the scan for clear channels and IR to the transmitter is huge for me. I might have to change locations 10 times a day and the SR's that is not as fast. But for a dual receiver SR's are a nice option, especially the extra range. But now I just line in the PDR if that will happen. If I was going from scratch SRc would be at the top of the list.

Talked with Karl at Lectrosonic and asked if they plan on a LR dual and he said not at this time.

Paul R Johnson
February 19th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I've been a user of 2.4GHz radio systems for 5 years now, and have had quite a success with them - but I won't be buying any more for a number of reasons. Since I bought the six units I have, the real issue has been that they are extremely unfriendly to other wi-fi users, and now 2.4GHz is so busy, I keep a RF monitor in the tool box so I can see the occupancy of the band. Much of my work is in theatres and there are now so many wi-fi users that the writing is on the wall. At a show last week, lighting had two systems omni the go, sound had two, the bar epos systems were using another and the venue had two hotspots omni the go - my radio systems wiped out many of these act some point - with the lighting people suffering worst when they lost control of some movers, and the sound guy unable to control the mixer. It's going to get worse, so I'm going back to real radio, not wifi - which just isn't reliable or friendly. To be honest, my systems have two modes - Friendly to other wifi users, but not so reliable, or bugger everyone else mode and be solid. I leave my system on the bugger everyone else mode, and they really suffer. The other mode helps them but kills my reliability. 5 years ago, wifi use was much lower - now everywhere uses wifi for things unthought of a few years back.

Marantz are frankly going to end up with a very unreliable or unfriendly product. Which one, I don't know. Caveat Emptor is a rather apt warning.

Paul Cronin
February 19th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Paul,

Great input and all the more reason to stay with my Lectro kits. Thanks for the insight.

David Peterson
February 20th, 2018, 07:43 AM
I feel these can still have a small place in a person's kit, for the rare occasions when your usual UHF gear isn't suitable. (perhaps you need to fly off somewhere at a drop of a hat to a place where your blocks of UHF gear isn't compatible) But should it form the core part of your gear? I don't think so. (unless perhaps you're just just starting out, and it is merely your first one or two)

For instance, I own two RodeLinks in my kit, of which I somewhat regret buying the first one. But I don't regret it enough to sell it off! As heck, it might come in handy one day in the future.... ??

Paul R Johnson
February 20th, 2018, 12:19 PM
I totally agree - they could be great products - but I don't buy kit that I have to consider if it's possible to use. If you buy these, and like them - you want to always use them as your primary system. The pain when you notice the problem at one location, or worse, you don't notice - is a deal breaker for me. One of my favourite cameras Ive just discovered really objects to one type of LED light, used in a particular way - and now, I shall be very cautious using it in any scenario where the problem m might occur - dimmed LED light beams pointing at the camera. On full power, they're burn out devices of course, but dimmed, they're a pain with streaking and pulsing.

David Peterson
July 24th, 2018, 02:49 AM
Marantz PMD-750 wireless just got a price drop down to $299:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340330-REG/marantz_professional_pmd_750_2_4ghz_camera_mount_wireless.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

As the receiver can be used with two transmitters, you could buy a second transmitter for a hundred and fifty and have a two channels of wireless for a very low cost.

David Peterson
October 25th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately these Marantz are the same bulky size as the RodeLinks, but still....... at US$250 that is a screaming good deal