View Full Version : Best ever noise isolating headphones? The Remote Audio HN-7506

David Peterson
February 18th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Quite excited to give this a spin, once the new gel pads arrive. They share the same drivers as in my Sony MDR-7506 headphones, thus the listening experience should be the same but with a 45dB reduction on any external sounds leaking in!

This would have been especially useful last weekend when I was recording next to a busy road, so I could more accurately discern between what precisely was I recording or not.

vlog #23: Remote Audio HN-7506 headphones, Sound Devices MP1, & a Samsung S7 Active. - YouTube

Gary Nattrass
February 21st, 2018, 05:36 AM
The main problem with the 7506 for location recording is the acoustic noise that can occur when using in wind, I personally find there are other better options and the HD25 tends to be better for location recording.

Seth Bloombaum
February 21st, 2018, 09:32 AM
The Sennheiser HD25 is an on-ear headphone.

The Sennheiser HD280 is fully over the ear, and gives pretty good isolation! It’s also a flat response, unlike the Sony MDR7506 which has a bit of a bump in the midrange that’s helpful with dialog. How would you compare the two Sennheisers?

I use the 280 and the Sony. I mostly prefer the HD280, but it’s a big set of phones in the bag, and, not as convenient pushing on and off the ears. The HD280 is good for dialog, but a *must* for music or mixing.

I know, don’t mix on cans. But sometimes you have to.

Chris Soucy
February 21st, 2018, 02:15 PM
Hi, David.....................

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 630 VB's about 5 months ago and the most awesome listening experience they are too.

https://en-nz.sennheiser.com/high-quality-stereo-headphones-around-ear-hd-630vb

Much as I love them, the missus loath's them, as when I'm wearing them I can't hear a word she says (Yesss!). Come to think of it, not sure I'd even hear a bomb go off if it was any further away than the same room.

A word of warning tho' - if your amp has a "super bass" control, TURN IT OFF unless you want your ear drums to shake hands in the middle of your head!

Sennheiser are based up in Auckland, so you may get a chance to test drive a set without laying out the best part of a grand first.

Yep, they're heavy, but oh so comfortable.

Regards,

CS

PS: That price is NZ$, probably a heck of a lot cheaper in the States.

Jacques Mersereau
February 21st, 2018, 06:31 PM
Those Sennheisers look amazing - but I got some serious sticker shock at $900.
I am sure you get what you pay for and their ability to set the bass to one's liking has me wanting to listen to them.

Gary Nattrass
February 21st, 2018, 07:14 PM
I got some HD380 for xmas and must admit I prefer them to the sony 7506 and HD25 but have not tried them for location sound yet as they are for my music listening.

Paul Cronin
February 22nd, 2018, 07:38 AM
Great subject, and one that is important to all of us in the industry or not. Once you loose hearing it is GONE.

I have two different pair of headphones I use when playing the drums but would never use either while recording. Prefer to have a little bit of ambient sound.

If you like the Sony's 7506 these are an excellent options, and I use them daily playing. Really comfortable for hours and sound is the same as the regular 7506 HD that I have next to my edit station.
https://www.gk-music.com/product/ultraphones/

In the past I have used Studio Kans and still have two pair. Great isolation but the audio quality is not up to 7506. And they are not comfortable at all.
https://www.amazon.com/Metrophones-Studio-Isolation-Recording-Headphones/dp/B0002E1NXM/dvinfo09-20

For flying I use Bose in ear noise canceling headphones and find it really helps reduce the fatigue of flying a lot.

For drumming I have tried IEM and find them uncomfortable. But again I have not spent $2K on a set.

And finally for audio monitoring on the set and in the field I use Bose ear buds with out noise canceling.

My quick thoughts on the subject.