View Full Version : PXW-Z90 best setting in low light?

Pierre Vidailhet
February 27th, 2018, 02:13 AM
I have to film a Gospel concert and there is not much light what is the best setting in low light ?
Thank you for your help

Cliff Totten
February 27th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Probably the biggest thing you could do is bite the bullet, break the 180 degree rule and drop down to a 1/30 shutter. None of the picture profiles will actually bring in more "light" but slowing your shutter down to 1/30 actually does accomplish this.

Try to shoot as wide as you can because zooming in will close your aperture. So,...the closer you can position yourself to the action, the less you will need to zoom and the faster your lens will be.

Not too much more you can do than that. The rest is just "gain" in different forms.

CT

Roland Achini
February 27th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Use LOW LUX mode. This is only available if the camera is in Auto Mode and Gain Limit is set to off.

You also may set BLACK GAMMA (black stretch) for low light (range: low). The recommended setting is LOW +7, which brings up the black stretch in the darker areas. With the 10 bit 4:2:2 codec, you can then push the blacks down in post without problems.

Pierre Vidailhet
February 28th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Probably the biggest thing you could do is bite the bullet, break the 180 degree rule and drop down to a 1/30 shutter. None of the picture profiles will actually bring in more "light" but slowing your shutter down to 1/30 actually does accomplish this.

Try to shoot as wide as you can because zooming in will close your aperture. So,...the closer you can position yourself to the action, the less you will need to zoom and the faster your lens will be.

Not too much more you can do than that. The rest is just "gain" in different forms.

CT

thanks for your help

Pierre Vidailhet
February 28th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Use LOW LUX mode. This is only available if the camera is in Auto Mode and Gain Limit is set to off.

You also may set BLACK GAMMA (black stretch) for low light (range: low). The recommended setting is LOW +7, which brings up the black stretch in the darker areas. With the 10 bit 4:2:2 codec, you can then push the blacks down in post without problems.

thanks for your help

Paul Anderegg
February 28th, 2018, 08:29 PM
I do a lot of low light high gain shooting...I find that adding any black gamma just ads a lot of noise as gain increases. I adjusted my DETAIL settings to Type 1 and crispening to +1 to knock down some of the noise "enhancement" you get as the gain increases. In NLE, I sometimes will pull my midtones (gamma) downward until the contrast looks pleasing, and as you pull down midtones you also reduce noise a bit and get back some contrast you lose as gain increases.

Paul