View Full Version : new system specs

Jim Stamos
March 7th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Thinking of putting this system together.
Will be shooting xavcl and 4k
Need enough firepower to handle and get more than one layer in editing, without hiccups.

Input and suggestions welcome.
Intel I7 8700k
Gigabyte Z370
Corsair 32gb, (2 16s) 2666mhz
Samsung 960 EVO 500gb OS
2 WD 2tb Black
Corsair 450D Tower
Corsair cx 750M power supply
Cooler Master Hyper 212
Windows 10 Home
Gigabyte GTX 1050 ti

Pete Cofrancesco
March 7th, 2018, 09:48 PM
The weak point that most people avoid spending on is the storage it should be either a large fast ssd or a raid 5

Noa Put
March 8th, 2018, 03:00 AM
Which NLE? Because that determines the system specs.

Jim Stamos
March 13th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Edius
been using for years.

Jim Stamos
March 13th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Additionally, Im currently using vistitler on my current system.
What is everyone using out there , its pretty easy, but i havent seen the latest ones

Noa Put
March 14th, 2018, 01:30 AM
Edius
been using for years.

In that case your system specs are fine.

Jim Stamos
April 2nd, 2018, 11:43 AM
For my storage
Looking at the WD black 4/6tb
Vs Barracuda pro

Input welcome

Cary Knoop
April 2nd, 2018, 12:15 PM
For 4K inter-frame H.264 I would recommend proxies, regardless of the system your editing will not be smooth.

Tony Neal
April 2nd, 2018, 01:18 PM
My edit machine is almost identical to that spec, although I've added a couple more SSDs. As long as I put most of the video on the SSDs the machine will easily allow a multicam edit of 3 x 4K video tracks at full resolution, no proxies required (which saves an awful lot of time). I can't speak for Edius - I'm running Premiere CC on Windows 10, but the spec is ideal for 4k.

Ralph Bowman
December 6th, 2019, 11:18 PM
I am moving to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have 8 processors which have been terrific editing AVHDC
with ease. I am now considering a new computer and do not anticipate editing in 4K since I have slowed up my video editing practices. Can anyone give me a computer and storage design that can keep me under a $1000...or am I dreaming. I spent about $2500 for my present set up but have had for a number of years and maybe reaching the end of its life.

DELL or HP ? I am not smart enough to build my own.

Thanks for your input.

Paul R Johnson
December 7th, 2019, 03:18 AM
I'd pass on the office brands - they rarely (dell particularly) make industry specific hardware simple! The huge rise in gaming means there are lots of really good small firms out there very confident in building custom machines that have the same requirements we do - large and fast drives, decent cooling for fast processors, video cards and graphics add-ons. Some of the serious gamers need higher performing machines than we do. Give them the editing spec, tell them the kinds of files and the typical file sizes and they will produce you something in your budget that will do the job. Even better if they are local. They're usually enthusiasts too, so are great at tweaks and adjustments.